VeteranXV
Old
62 - 12-11-2010, 01:28
You really should see the rest of that basement. :|

ATLien325
Veteran²
Old
63 - 12-11-2010, 01:29
I get pretty solid cable Internet service that includes digital cable, 1.5 Mb up, 3 Mb down. It's not too expensive, but I'd pay 150 a month for those speeds. Where in the country are you

willisan
VeteranXV
Old
64 - 12-11-2010, 01:45
Is any of that equipment worth anything? The house I just bought had all that **** left over from a previous FIOS install, which I am not using. Think I can get anything for it?

Technetium
tuffy
Old
65 - 12-11-2010, 02:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL83 View Post

Also POW:

reported to fios

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
66 - 12-11-2010, 16:29
2nd tech showed up today to fix the installation - here are the results:

Rooster!
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
67 - 12-11-2010, 16:50
That still looks like **** jesus...did they send another contractor? The fix is poorly cut wire molding?

Son of Mothra
VeteranXV
Old
68 - 12-11-2010, 16:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFiX View Post
That's how they install **** now days. No joke. They don't plan anything, and drape wires, drill thru floors, etc. ****'s a joke.
No ****. We had Comcast install cable to our college house and it was the most nigrigged ghetto **** done ever. He drilled through molding on my roommate's window to get the cable into the house, ran it loosely behind his bed tacked loosely to the molding around the floor into our main room where our modem was going to be.

I came home and saw what he did and just laughed. Good thing we didn't care enough. But seriously, drilling through the base of the window to put the cable in? What the ****; who does that.

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
69 - 12-11-2010, 16:54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster! View Post
That still looks like **** jesus...did they send another contractor? The fix is poorly cut wire molding?
The garage that serves my location seems to be by default Hempstead, NY - which is kinda ghetto.

The guy that did my mom's install was Wantagh, NY - which isn't so ghetto.

It seems the Hempstead garage is crappy. The guy was nice. Not the brightest, not the most professional, but he tried with what he had. Which is really sad - because the truck he had wasn't his - and he didn't even have any set top boxes on his truck.

My question is this - What can really be done about this now? At this point - if I were to have it fixed, I would probably buy one of those old work boxes : http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e...oldworkbox.htm

Cut out some drywall, terminate the cat5, coax, RJ11, and I guess leave the Cat3 for power and the ground running loose somewhere - throw a faceplate onto the box and have it look sorta like this:

At this point - what else can be done with all that wiring and the damage done to the sheetrock?

Last edited by SL83; 12-11-2010 at 16:59..
Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
70 - 12-11-2010, 16:58
Quote:
nice dirty ****ing razor just laying around

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
71 - 12-11-2010, 17:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detox.enD View Post
nice dirty ****ing razor just laying around
[Pics] Obsessive Compulsive Hoarding - REDUX [Archive] - TribalWar Forums

Detox.enD
VeteranXV
Old
72 - 12-11-2010, 17:02
i was just pointing it out

bam
VeteranXV
Old
73 - 12-11-2010, 17:34
I think your install is just ****ed for good now SL83 I would like to get FiOS here, but we only have AT&T and I've heard bad things about it. In addition to that, they use WEP for their wireless security and won't let you use anything else.

My cable here has pretty good speeds, but they've been going down recently and their quality of service has been getting significantly worse almost daily.

DarkBlade
VeteranXX
Old
74 - 12-11-2010, 17:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
I think your install is just ****ed for good now SL83 I would like to get FiOS here, but we only have AT&T and I've heard bad things about it. In addition to that, they use WEP for their wireless security and won't let you use anything else.

My cable here has pretty good speeds, but they've been going down recently and their quality of service has been getting significantly worse almost daily.
They don't let you use your own router and put the modem in bridge mode?

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
75 - 12-11-2010, 17:48
Quote:

Verizon FIOS by default is set up for WEP. I turned that **** off right away and used WPA2 with AES only.

I'm waiting for them to switch me over to data over Ethernet so I can use my own router with DD-WRT on it, though, but surprisingly this Actiontec Rev F router is pretty powerful in terms of Wireless (it does N) and it hasn't died out on me when I've been doing heavy torrenting.

Only reason to switch to my own would be because the web interface on the actiontec sucks ass - and I'd have gigabit LAN- actiontec is only 100Mbps.

SuicideTaxi
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
76 - 12-11-2010, 18:29

I made it through about 5 of those pictures before I had enough

Report her to the TV show, stat

bam
VeteranXV
Old
77 - 12-12-2010, 03:07
Quote:
Verizon FIOS by default is set up for WEP. I turned that **** off right away and used WPA2 with AES only.

I'm waiting for them to switch me over to data over Ethernet so I can use my own router with DD-WRT on it, though, but surprisingly this Actiontec Rev F router is pretty powerful in terms of Wireless (it does N) and it hasn't died out on me when I've been doing heavy torrenting.

Only reason to switch to my own would be because the web interface on the actiontec sucks ass - and I'd have gigabit LAN- actiontec is only 100Mbps.
Oh, I did not know that. I thought everyone was stuck to WEP and only their router with very little configuration availability. This is nice to know.

Killjoy
VeteranXX
Old
78 - 12-12-2010, 03:08
you thought WEP was forced/required?

how dumb are you

Ender
ValtreX
Old
79 - 12-12-2010, 04:55
Quote:
Oh, I did not know that. I thought everyone was stuck to WEP and only their router with very little configuration availability. This is nice to know.
Bam, this is a pretty stupid assumption.

With that said, I don't really see the need to have 50mbit connections. Maybe when I was 15, now that I have income I rarely pirate. I only pirated because I couldn't afford it.

Flunky
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
80 - 12-12-2010, 09:23
Quote:

this is not true. my residential gateway is using WPA2 and was set up that way from the start by the tech. the RG has a lot of customizable features for your typical user.

it's main limitation is that it is not wireless N.

Page 4 of 5

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [FIOS] Had my FIOS install today

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
fios , sl83 , yar matey i banged katie