Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [nerdalart] The Gathering Storm
Page 3 of 4
Lord Elessar
or something³
Contributor
Old
41 - 10-30-2009, 23:48
Sandersson has done a much better job than that clown Brian Herbert when it comes to continuing an epic series.

Sponsored Links
Harbinger
VeteranX
Old
42 - 10-31-2009, 00:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Elessar View Post
Sandersson has done a much better job than that clown Brian Herbert when it comes to continuing an epic series.
agreed: the dune sequels were pretty ****ty, unfortunately

|Blitzkrieg|
VeteranXX
Old
43 - 10-31-2009, 00:38
Reading it now. Loved Sanderson's other books, especially Warbreaker (his newest)

He's on a signing tour right now, I'll be seeing him Nov 17th (UW Bookstore in Seattle)

Mindflayr
VeteranXV
Old
44 - 10-31-2009, 04:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhand Altor View Post
Though its annoying, instead of this being the last part at least 3 more will come out...
I read a little bit about why. he came right out and said "this isnt about Money. RJ left so many notes, so much info, so in depth of an outline, the realized that there was no way to tell the actual story in less than 1500 or so pages, and realized it would take 3 books. I have no problem with this. I loved the 1st 11, why would I be mad that I get to read 3 more, instead of 1.

DeadGuy*
Veteran++
Old
45 - 10-31-2009, 05:00
The next book, Towers of Midnight, is going to be released next year.
I was worried I'd have to wait longer, as it's been the long tradition for this series.

Pengo
VeteranXV
Old
46 - 10-31-2009, 05:30
jesus christ, i had seen the cover art for this before but never really looked closely. for being such a giant, popular release, that is some extremely ****ty cover art. wow.

since i heard this was coming out a week or so ago I've started listening to the audio books (starting at book 9) while working on other stuff. i read the last two books but honestly don't remember anything that happened in them. all i remember is a bunch of new unnecessary characters were introduced and little was accomplished.

id like to say again that cover painting is ****ing ridiculous. jesus. lol at the giant black hole, tiny legs, stupid house, awkward girl

edit: I still have to recommend the series though. For all its faults--seemingly unnecessary plot lines and characters, long descriptions, and annoying females, it really is an amazing read when a big event is finally going down and the main characters get **** done.

Last edited by Pengo; 10-31-2009 at 05:40..
Fettuccine
VeteranX
Old
47 - 10-31-2009, 05:36
Everytime I read threads about ASOIF I see WoT get mentioned so I am somewhat hesitant to start another series that may lead to nowhere but at the same time if it is addicting I can not resist Steer me away plz

Pengo
VeteranXV
Old
48 - 10-31-2009, 05:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Elessar View Post
Eye of the World is worth reading even if you stop after that one book.
I always got the feeling the Eye of The World (first book) was meant to be a one-shot book. I know interviews said it was originally planned to be a trilogy, then 5-6, then xx, but...

Spoiler

Mindflayr
VeteranXV
Old
49 - 10-31-2009, 06:00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengo View Post
I always got the feeling the Eye of The World (first book) was meant to be a one-shot book. I know interviews said it was originally planned to be a trilogy, then 5-6, then xx, but...

Spoiler
Spoiler is incorrect If I recall correctly.

Spoiler

It was definetly not meant to be a 1 and done. The 1st book had barely any action, and was mostly character development, to set up the future story.

I would however buy that it was written in a way that he could have closed up the series by book 3 or 4, based on How the 1st was received. I believe it quickly became a NYT Best Seller, for whatever that is worth, and received critical acclaim, so he kept up with the detailed way of explaining things, added more characters and more story arcs, expanded the world, and we ended up with the masterpiece we have now.

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pengo View Post
jesus christ, i had seen the cover art for this before but never really looked closely. for being such a giant, popular release, that is some extremely ****ty cover art. wow.

id like to say again that cover painting is ****ing ridiculous. jesus. lol at the giant black hole, tiny legs, stupid house, awkward girl
Agreed. For so Epic of a Series, it has some of the wrost Cover art ive seen, and I own over 300 Sci fi/fantasy novels, and have read 5-600 in my lifetime.

Im not sure if its the Euro version or what, but even on the new book I want the 1 with the Dark cover and the symbol on the front, because the cover art is such **** on the "American version".

Not that I am a cover art snob, or that it impacts the story in any way... but it really is that bad.

On A Side Note: The Book tyhat was published that is about the WoT World history and such was quite interesting if you are a fan of the series.

Last edited by Mindflayr; 10-31-2009 at 06:04..
Mindflayr
VeteranXV
Old
50 - 10-31-2009, 06:02

Mantua
Veteran++
Old
51 - 10-31-2009, 08:16
i can't imagine that the last 3 books are going to be very good.

it's not going to be the same, i'm going to get frustrated and quit

Ixiterra
VeteranXV
Old
52 - 10-31-2009, 09:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadGuy* View Post
The next book, Towers of Midnight, is going to be released next year.
I was worried I'd have to wait longer, as it's been the long tradition for this series.
Still not gonna be finished til the end of 2012. Making the really big assumption that they don't get delayed. Then there will probably be a 500 page epilogue book that comes out in 2013 or 2014.

ScooBySnaCk
Tribalwar Staff
Contributor
Old
53 - 10-31-2009, 09:15
I read the first 2 and hated the direction. They got longer and weird..it was like how the Dune series went.

Ixiterra
VeteranXV
Old
54 - 10-31-2009, 09:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooBySnaCk View Post
I read the first 2 and hated the direction. They got longer and weird..it was like how the Dune series went.
Took me like 2 or 3 years to actually get through the first one. I just had a real hard time adjusting to his style. Then when I started reading the 2nd, the item they spent the whole first book getting gets stolen in the first few pages. I thought 4-6 were the best of the series, then it died down on plot threads that just felt like they were going nowhere in the later books.

By book 10 it had been like 3 years since I read book 9, couldn't remember who anyone was anymore and just put it down. So once it's all said and done I'll prob re-read the whole series when it's finally complete.

ScooBySnaCk
Tribalwar Staff
Contributor
Old
55 - 10-31-2009, 09:26
when they considered "fire and burn" swear words I drifted off..

Rhand Altor
VeteranXV
Old
56 - 10-31-2009, 09:30
I haven't read books for almost a year... I will start the newest of SoT, Eragon 3rd book and with the new WoT book. Will bring me the good old times of reading till dawn.

Ixiterra
VeteranXV
Old
57 - 10-31-2009, 09:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhand Altor View Post
I haven't read books for almost a year... I will start the newest of SoT, Eragon 3rd book and with the new WoT book. Will bring me the good old times of reading till dawn.
god how many books does sword of truth have now? That's another one I had to give up on. I'll probably never go back and read it though.

Rhand Altor
VeteranXV
Old
58 - 10-31-2009, 09:37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ixiterra View Post
god how many books does sword of truth have now? That's another one I had to give up on. I'll probably never go back and read it though.
SoT is worth it pal, not finishing those books he wrote is a sin.

Chimera
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
59 - 10-31-2009, 12:26
fyi, wotmania shut down in august apparently. never heard of it before so did a quick search.

Walking_Man
VeteranX
Old
60 - 10-31-2009, 12:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayn View Post
Is this series worth starting? How does it compare to something Song of Ice & Fire?
Starts out very good but then quickly devolves into a long-winded, drawn out mess of skirt straightening and braid tugging and painfully stupid female characters.

I remember one of the last books covering like less than a week of time or something and literally nothing of importance happened.

Quote:
SoT is worth it pal, not finishing those books he wrote is a sin.
Also started out very good but then quickly devolves into a long-winded, drawn out mess of statue building and stair repairing and dick sucking of Ayn Rand.

My favorite part of that series was when Rhand repaired a staircase in the evil communist empire and everybody was just blown away by how magnificent this was.

Last edited by Walking_Man; 10-31-2009 at 12:33..
Page 3 of 4

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [nerdalart] The Gathering Storm

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
hey , i want to fuck twiggy , me too , twiggy wants to fuck me