Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Archived Forums > Warhammer Online
Reload this Page Keeping the Keep.
Page 1 of 2
Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1 - 10-20-2008, 04:52
It's been 5 hours since we took the High Pass Keep in T3 (when I logged off) and it was still standing. We fought off 3 seperate attempts at taking it from us. Well done to those who answered the call. They never succeeded in breaching the first door.

The groups were somewhat modest PuG groups, but then so were we and they were a threat non the less.

Some things I've taken from the first day are:

I think we earned 8-10 million Guild XP in those 5 hours. I'm assuming, though, that the XP bar was around 25% when I logged on and just short of 50% when I logged off, which I figured to be about 13 million worth of XP for the guild at a cost of 30 gold. I can't be certain though as I didn't think to check properly when I logged on so this might be greatly exaggerated.

The Sentries - You can't trust the "system" to warn you that our keep is under attack. It is subtle, flaky at best and generally unreliable. There is no substitute for having a genuine Sentry on the wall to sound the alarm. It buys us the most time. Problem is, it's boring as **** if nothing is happening and generally thankless since you are not out earning experience, loot and gold. Honors to Diamond Rose and Strategery for filling this sacrificial role without complaints.

Battle Field Objectives - AKA the "BO's". These are a good warning post. They do provide an even more advanced warning that some one is planning something when you see them start to fall. Be prepared to ring the fire bell. Engaging the Enemy early by disrupting their attempts at taking BO's is also beneficial to the overall defense of the keep. I've found that these groups are smaller and are the catalyst that sparks the zerg. Snuffing out this spark when it's small and when it's not expecting an organized defense prevents them from igniting the attention of the greater destro population after they see that all BO's are RED and the Keep is under attack.

The Fire Drill - We need a plan, and everyone should know that plan and be prepared to execute that plan at a moments notice, without delay or confusion. As we've discovered, we can't rely on the system warning us that our Keep is under attack with any certainty and with enough forewarning. When the Fire Bell does ring, take it seriously and with plenty of consideration for the fact that the "Keep" is what we are about as a Guild. Answering the challenge to the Guilds honor and Pride should be treated as your one measly gesture of responsibility that grants you the right to wear our colors and call yourself a Blood Eagle.

Every member:
  • Should know where our Keep currently is and the best possible means of reaching it. When you log in, find our keep if we have one. I suggest setting your Rally Point to the nearest Camp so your Book of Binding can be used to instantly carry you there when the "Fire Alarm" goes off. As we've already experienced, without any defenders and relying just on the NPC's, a keep will fall in less then 15mins. This is why time is so important. You don't have time to finish PQ's or Quests or Scenario's or start asking questions like Where is the Keep and What should I bring and Who's group should I join (ect ect). Every delay is another knock at our door with the battering Ram.
  • Should Bring Supplies. Visit the Quarter Master, bring along Cannons and Oil (especially Oil). Even if you don't use it, somebody will. Just keep it in your pack or give it to the player in the role.

The Oil Crew - "Crew" not "Man". Several Members should take the initiative and man that Oil and keep it pouring. The reason for the "Crew" and not just a "man" is to keep the Oil repaired and pouring. It is a focus point for enemy attention and it'll take 3 or 4 people at the ready to jump on it during a repair cycle. 1 man alone can not repair it fast enough when the enemy concentrates fire on it. The delay is fairly painful if we lose one and it gets destroyed. It's also important to note that while it is being repaired, it can't be used, so when it is needed, the more people repairing it, the sooner it is put back into action.
  • Protip: Don't stand up front or right next to the Oil. You can stand back from the Oil where A) the Enemy can't see you and B) the AoE attacks on the Oil itself won't hurt you. (this goes for guns too).

The Gun Crews - A single player can man a Gun, but having the right Gun for the Right Job is important. Don't put up Guns unless they have a purpose, if placed haphazardly, they'll get destroyed and we will incur a delay that might prevent us from having a Gun when we need it most. Just like Oil, it's a good idea to have a few players on the ball who can quickly form a repair crew to quickly repair Guns that get focused fired to avoid having them destroyed. Tanks make good Gun and Oil Crews since they can't really hit the enemy while on the wall, thus freeing up Caster and Ranged classes to do what they do.
  • Single Target Guns: are short ranged (250m) but good for focus fire on single enemies and siege equipment. Gang up on targets and call your shots with other Gunners.
  • AoE Guns: are good against bunches of players and for long range (415m). Remember to adjust for wind (which changes after every reload before you fire). Call your shots.
  • Unmanned Guns deteriorate over time. So, if you have a few guns not being used and there is no action going on... keep an eye on them and fix them once and awhile to avoid a delay if the enemy suddenly shows up.

The Skirmishers - Can't win with Guns and Oil alone. A dedicated group should be waiting by the door ready to spring on the enemy outside when the moments are right to take advantage of confusion or disoriented groups of enemies (then retreat back behind the door). The right timing is the "Coupe de Grace" that can break an enemy and get them to run. They are also "Plan B" if the door goes down.

End Debriefing.
[/wall-o-text]

Last edited by Hellsfury; 10-20-2008 at 05:03..
Sponsored Links
RunningWolf
VeteranXV
Old
2 - 10-20-2008, 09:42
This is a very informative post! Hopefully tonight ill be able to make it to t3 content.

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
3 - 10-20-2008, 09:57
Good post.

One thing I will suggest is that the best place to set your Scroll of Recall (or whatever it's called) is Empire Chapter 3 since it's right next to the T1 Empire Warcamp which has a flightmaster. From there you can quickly get to any other Warcamp.

Once we hit guild rank 17 you can buy consumable scrolls of recall that will take you to the Guild Tavern in Altdorf which has a Flight Master in it. This makes binding to Empire Chapter 3 unnecessary as long as you make sure you buy a new scroll every time you use one (they're only 30copper).

Also it seems that it's pretty much impossible to get the doors down if the oil is up and being used so keeping it up is imperative. I'm not sure if it's the same for all keeps or not but the keep in Avelorn's oil is only attackable with siege weapons which makes taking out their siege pretty important.

DiamondRose
VeteranX
Old
4 - 10-20-2008, 10:55
This is a Very good post. I have to say I really didn't mind standing guard last night. I was to tired to go farm PQs, and I was just in the mood for reading a good book.

I have to say though, for the few people we did get out there last night, I think we did a great job in defending. But I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they try to zerg it later since they didn't have any success with trying last night. I just hope that we have enough people to defend. That is of course if we haven't lost it already. I haven't log on yet today. >.<

TseTse
VeteranX
Old
5 - 10-20-2008, 12:08
nice post.

GraphiX
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 10-20-2008, 13:01
We had sufficient heals to keep my level 20 Warrior Priest in the fight. That was pretty damn fun.

Blotter
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
7 - 10-20-2008, 13:19
i have some questions, im a newbie, so they are newbie questions

what levels should you be to help defend? are we better off coming at low levels (below 20), or better off continuing to levelling up? do we get any XP defending?

where exactly is the keep? how do you find it on the map? "log on and find the keep" doesnt help me much.

if there are obvious answers to these posted somewhere plz point me in that direction.

Voxx
Veteran++
Old
8 - 10-20-2008, 14:06
SET YOUR DAMN BIND IN HIGH PASS CHAPTER 11 ALREADY! (This isn't directed at you, Blotter)

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
9 - 10-20-2008, 14:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blotter View Post

what levels should you be to help defend? are we better off coming at low levels (below 20), or better off continuing to levelling up? do we get any XP defending?

where exactly is the keep? how do you find it on the map? "log on and find the keep" doesnt help me much.

if there are obvious answers to these posted somewhere plz point me in that direction.
If you're 20+ come help defend. With bolstering you should be fine.
You get XP from kills.

It's the keep in High Pass. There's only one keep in High Pass so it shouldn't be too hard to find on the map.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to put what keep we currently have claimed in the MOTD (give ossifers the ability to change motd kthx).

Edit: High Pass not Avelorn.

Last edited by FalseMyrmidon; 10-20-2008 at 14:31..
Mael
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
10 - 10-20-2008, 14:23
Wait... WTF

Did we take the keep in High Pass or Avelorn?

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
11 - 10-20-2008, 14:30
****, meant High Pass. We were trying to take the one in Avelorn but didn't have enough people.

freud
Veteran
Old
12 - 10-20-2008, 14:41
Quote:
Single Target Guns: are short ranged (250m) but good for focus fire on single enemies and siege equipment. Gang up on targets and call your shots with other Gunners.
Single Target Guns are also great for taking down enemy siege equipment, but because of their short range, they need to be set up in the right position.

Great post; two things to add. I don't know if it was just me, or a bug, or what, but every now and then I'd get a 100 renown. I thought this was for being there and defending the keep when it was being attacked - did no one else notice this?

Also, for people who think it might be boring to guard the keep when we're under attack - it's not! It's nerdily exciting to fend off hordes of destro! Haven't logged on yet today; hope we still have it!

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
13 - 10-20-2008, 14:49
Red Eye Mountain - Servers - Warhammer Online

Says updated 9 minutes ago. Looks like we still have it.

Madend
VeteranXV
Old
14 - 10-20-2008, 15:27
yeah i noticed the 100 renown ticking off every now and then and i can only assume it was the defense bonus

and i definitely agree that taking care of the oil is the #1 priority for attacking or defending a keep, can basically stop their attempts at breaking the wall dead. their sorcs could definitely hit our oil, but they had to come close enough that i could in turn light them up from the wall, just needed a healer to deal with the combustion and return fire

for blotter, check the guild news and it should name the keep we've most recently taken/lost in the guild news thing, then from there it's just a matter of finding it on the map. ours is in t3 so you need to be 18-31 to help defend it. even at 18 you'd be a big asset just manning a siege wep or help keeping the oil alive (up to 4 people can repair it at once).

also a more advanced trick for tanks i learned in an alliance keep defense where we eventually got zerged down after an hour: if all the siege weps are being manned and the enemies are wailing on the front door, go stand right against it on the inside so you get hit by some of the AOEs and your morale bar rises. use the level 2 aoe moral (raze) in conjunction with other tanks doing the same thing or an oil pour and it can do a whole lot of damage to all the enemies standing on the other side of the door.

lastly high pass chpt 12 is right next to the warcamp there so you can get quick flights if you bind there and are already in a t3 area if we happen to own the highpass/avalorn keep at the time.

Ender
ValtreX
Old
15 - 10-20-2008, 16:23
As soon as I hit lvl 18 I'll be up there helping.

Sounds very cool. At first when I saw the 50% tax I was like wtf, but didn't know we took a keep, I wouldn't mind 75% just so long we get all the XP we can. Please post this or an abbreviated version in the guild info on War. I haven't logged in today yet but will help when I can.

GraphiX
VeteranXV
Old
16 - 10-20-2008, 19:12
I guess I need to start leveling my WP instead of my BW

Healbot GOGO

Mael
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
17 - 10-20-2008, 19:17
lol looks like we didn't hold it long...

WARDB lists it as being Destro.

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
18 - 10-20-2008, 20:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blotter View Post

If you can reach the Keep... you can help. You may not be a high enough Level to be a good Skirmisher outside the wall, but you can man a Cannon or Repair the Oil freeing up higher level Members to fill those roles when needed.

The easiest way to find the keep, is to simply ask in vent (preferably) or in Guild Chat. We may not have a Keep yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post

I personally do not expect to hold a Keep "overnight". We simply do not have a Guild with an activity level that can be active 24 hours a day. The best way to look at this is to treat as:

"When we are online, No one will ever take our Keep from us."
"When we log off for the day, We allow whoever wants it the Grace to occupy it until we get back."

As it was though, we held that keep for at least 5+ hours and all challenges to our control of it were repulsed in force. If we no longer held that Keep after I logged off, it was because I was the last the man and the Keep was essentially abandoned to the open world again. I just wish there was a mechanism to remove our banners from the Keep and release our control of it for the night. It doesn't feel right that anyone should be able to say "We claimed a Blood Eagle Keep" when no Blood Eagle are online to actually defend it.

Last edited by Hellsfury; 10-20-2008 at 20:36..
Voxx
Veteran++
Old
19 - 10-20-2008, 20:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mael View Post

WaRDB is wrong..which isn't surprising if you know anything about how the site is updated.

Never trust it for realtime info. We own everything in High Pass right now.

Last edited by Voxx; 10-20-2008 at 20:33..
FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
20 - 10-20-2008, 23:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxx View Post
WaRDB is wrong..which isn't surprising if you know anything about how the site is updated.

Never trust it for realtime info. We own everything in High Pass right now.
And now we own nothing. Hopefully everything will change hands again tonight .

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > Archived Forums > Warhammer Online
Reload this Page Keeping the Keep.

Social Website Bullshit