Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fixing the roads, changing America
Page 5 of 18
Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
81 - 09-26-2012, 11:35
eh, i dont know
i feel like power and comm companies will want to 'buy in' to the road grid after it is up and running in a few areas, to further expand power capacity and fiber optic data transmission

and that will offset costs

i guess road maintenance would still be government controlled for when a semi truck explodes and melts the glass/road on a few sections. They would then foot that bill?

almost like the power and comm companies pay a monthly rate on the road to use the system is provides? money going to maintain the road? I dont know who would oversee the money and building. Not the company. So the government still?

Sponsored Links
Reno
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
82 - 09-26-2012, 11:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goshin View Post
i guess road maintenance would still be government controlled for when a semi truck explodes and melts the glass/road on a few sections. They would then foot that bill?
If you take out a guardrail on the highway here, the DOT sends you the bill. No reason that shouldn't be the case here.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
83 - 09-26-2012, 11:49
true
but road maintenance in general
or if they cant find you

someone oversees the work/money

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
84 - 09-26-2012, 11:52
Why wouldn't it work just like the cellular data infrastructure?

If lightning hits a cell tower in just the right way and takes it out of the network, the company that owns it foots the bill to repair it. They don't go running to the government. And they're compelled to fix it quickly because it's costing them money having it down, whereas the government is going to take their sweet time wading through mountains of red tape and procedure, then hire lazy hourly workers to do the job.

Some company, backed by investors, paid to have all those towers put up, and pays to have that infrastructure upgraded every few years to meet consumer demand. They're privately owned, despite being a key part of our modern communications network. Why wouldn't these new roads work the same? Start in markets with the greatest demand potential. The regional telecoms and the local utility company join forces to pay for it -- maybe they spin off a new corporation or partnership, or maybe one licenses access to the other. Then when things break (as they inevitably will) downtime is kept to a minimum because it's impacting vital power and communications services and costing those companies a lot of money.

Maybe? I dunno...

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
85 - 09-26-2012, 11:55
ya that could work
but you have to sell them on the idea
which means i guess it needs to work

a new company would probably need to form. I was just thinking power and comm would get licenses from the government i guess, since they handle roads right now

i think from a liability stand point, no one would want to touch roadcraft besides the government (absolved of all sin and that junk)

Codect
VeteranXX
Old
86 - 09-26-2012, 12:02
We can modify Zamboni's to clean the roads since the NHL won't be using them.

|R|u|s|t|y|
VeteranXX
Old
87 - 09-26-2012, 12:13
How well would this work *really* with parking lots? Parking lots that are used frequently would imply that the majority of the glass surface is covered by cars.

absent
VeteranXX
Old
88 - 09-26-2012, 12:15
That's not how it works. Those companies get government subsidies to offset weather damage.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
89 - 09-26-2012, 12:25
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvWTaqUvsfA&lr=1
ted talk on it

and rusty:
Quote:
Won't traffic congestion or full parking lots make the Solar Roadways less efficient?

Any shade on a solar panel prevents it from producing at its maximum capacity. However, traffic or parked cars will have a negligible impact. For instance:

This picture is from Orange County, CA during work traffic. The upper six lanes are what we'd refer to as "bumper to bumper" traffic. Even with this congestion, you can see how much of the road surface is still exposed to sunlight.

This picture is Tyson's Corner in Virginia. Look at the parking lot, particularly the section on the curve. It appears that every parking space is filled on the curved section, but look at how much of the parking lot surface is still exposed to sunlight (not to mention all of the other road surfaces!). Get on Google Earth and zoom in to any road or area in any city. You'll find the same results.
http://solarroadways.com/faq.shtml

go read the website, like i been saying since inception of thread hohoho

TW_Dagger
VeteranXV
Old
90 - 09-26-2012, 12:28
Thought a parking lot was already done? This **** is slow as all hell.

And that's not bumper to bumper.

Last edited by TW_Dagger; 09-26-2012 at 12:33..
Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
91 - 09-26-2012, 12:31
made a prototype
parking lot is being made, to be complete next year

welcome to low funding science

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
92 - 09-26-2012, 12:50
Quote:
eh, i dont know
i feel like power and comm companies will want to 'buy in' to the road grid after it is up and running in a few areas, to further expand power capacity and fiber optic data transmission

and that will offset costs

almost like the power and comm companies pay a monthly rate on the road to use the system is provides? money going to maintain the road? I dont know who would oversee the money and building. Not the company. So the government still?
corporations don't want to share the playground with anyone else. this is why choice is so limited for things like cable tv, water, power, and telephone.

if you have a physical conduit it really needs to be government maintained if you want multiple corporations to have access to it. once you put it in private hands no one else gets to play. and if you make a law that says they have to let other people play you end up with the primary company dragging its feet on any work done for one of the other companies in an attempt to make those services more ****ty and expensive. this is what happened with pac bell and DSL service. want a DSL line from pac bell? great, if there's competition you'll have it in 2 days. if there's no competition it would take months. want a DSL line from some other company that's piggybacking on pac bell's infra? that would take weeks.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
93 - 09-26-2012, 12:52
so it needs to be maintained still by the government then? who then gets paid by corps and puts that money only back into the road slush fund ( yea right **** you government )

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
94 - 10-22-2012, 15:56
topical bump

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
95 - 10-22-2012, 16:05
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogzinofa View Post
corporations don't want to share the playground with anyone else. this is why choice is so limited for things like cable tv, water, power, and telephone.

if you have a physical conduit it really needs to be government maintained if you want multiple corporations to have access to it. once you put it in private hands no one else gets to play. and if you make a law that says they have to let other people play you end up with the primary company dragging its feet on any work done for one of the other companies in an attempt to make those services more ****ty and expensive. this is what happened with pac bell and DSL service. want a DSL line from pac bell? great, if there's competition you'll have it in 2 days. if there's no competition it would take months. want a DSL line from some other company that's piggybacking on pac bell's infra? that would take weeks.
The Internet says hi.

Peering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's been managing just fine without full government control for a while now, despite starting life as a DARPA project.

Goshin
GriftKingXX
Old
96 - 10-22-2012, 16:19
the internet, darpa's best project that made them no monies

Calx
VeteranXV
Old
97 - 10-22-2012, 16:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Data View Post
Roads are the least of our worries.
maybe in bum**** nowhere

southern california roads r srs bsns

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
98 - 10-22-2012, 16:35
I live in Florida. I'd say we have some of the nicest roads in the country. Living in Utah for 6 years made me appreciate the roads in places where it doesn't snow.

Validuz
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
99 - 10-22-2012, 17:27
Quote:
im not sure about that

consider this
it gives us solar energy which the government pays for...
Ah, the old "free government money" logic.

Because the government has an infinite supply of money that doesn't harm the people at all when they create more out of thin air!

Head-in-the-cloud libtards.

P Masta Flex
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
100 - 10-22-2012, 17:30
Heinlein wrote of a similar concept in his fiction, they were solar powered rolling roads though (like a conveyor system), and they happened before what is now modern time

Page 5 of 18

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fixing the roads, changing America

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
alex dare levert , alex knapik-levert , ass mode , goshin , very ugly goshin