Page 4 of 6
lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
61 - 09-03-2014, 23:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsin View Post
And as a side kick you'll drive up the price of one of the world's major foodstuffs.
maybe ur thinking about ethanol derived from corn

unless u eat fryer grease which I wouldn't doubt

Sponsored Links
arsin
Veteran++
Old
62 - 09-04-2014, 00:04
luv the stuff, with or without French fries, while driving my fard eco boost truk, preferably fueled with ethanol derived from the juices of my plugged colon.

GreyGhost
VeteranXX
Old
63 - 09-04-2014, 00:05
arsin must be the guy in the botched robbery gif

or he's having a stroke

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
64 - 09-04-2014, 00:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Masta Flex View Post
maybe 15 years ago I would agree with you, and in some limited cases today, but no, automatics have come a long way, and are a lot lighter

if you drive a light ass vehicle and only give it power to get up hills and to cruise ect you can feather it to be super efficient, but most people cant/wont drive like that.

I drive a manual, with a couple exception I always have, and probably always will, I think the key benefit is the feedback you get and sense of involvement that keeps you aware and in greater control
Nope manuals drive thru direct gearing. Autos will always have an amount of wastage through the torque converter-even with a lock up (which pretty much all of them are now)

I have never seen a vehicle that will get better economy from an auto trans

Then again the difference is very small. Not a reason to buy one over the other. Unless your purchase price is much lower the only reason to buy a manual now is because they are way more fun [emoji3]

Last edited by ArakAtak; 09-04-2014 at 00:52..
cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
65 - 09-04-2014, 01:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
Nope manuals drive thru direct gearing. Autos will always have an amount of wastage through the torque converter-even with a lock up (which pretty much all of them are now)

I have never seen a vehicle that will get better economy from an auto trans

Then again the difference is very small. Not a reason to buy one over the other. Unless your purchase price is much lower the only reason to buy a manual now is because they are way more fun [emoji3]
2014 Honda Civic Sedan - Specifications - Official Site
5-Speed Manual (City/Highway/Combined) 28 / 36 / 31
Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) (City/Highway/Combined) 30 / 39 / 33

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
66 - 09-04-2014, 01:54
right now I have an automatic. I have the geartronic thing so I can "manually" shift gears but it's not the same.

I used to have a manual and what I miss most about it is that I felt like I had much better control of the car in hilly areas. I've tried to get the same kind of control using the geartronic **** and it just doesn't work the same.

but for anything that's not twisty hilly roads I'd much rather have an automatic.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
67 - 09-04-2014, 02:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogzinofa View Post
2014 Honda Civic Sedan - Specifications - Official Site
5-Speed Manual (City/Highway/Combined) 28 / 36 / 31
Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT) (City/Highway/Combined) 30 / 39 / 33
Smart ass

Numbers are fudged to protect the oil companies [emoji3]

Like I said - marginal and it all comes down to how you drive it. CVT feels spongy and they always get the **** revved out of them unless u drive like a grandma

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
68 - 09-04-2014, 02:59
I ignore facts that contradict my statements.

Osiris
VeteranXV
Old
69 - 09-04-2014, 04:17
i reject your reality and substitute my own

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
70 - 09-04-2014, 04:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
yea mc gerbil please post vehicles that get better mpg w/auto

I'll wait.

(jk no I won't)
Pretty much every current model 'mainstream' Asian car? Many are switching to CVTs, but where an auto (or CVT) and manual option are both available, you'll generally find the differences are pretty small, but still usually going against the stick. Go look some up, take your pick.

That goes for you too, Arak.

Along with the civic there, Subarus CVTs in their XV and Imprezza outperform the manuals, pretty sure Lancers and Camrys do similarly. Mazda is still using traditional autos, but their 'skyactiv' 3, 5 and 6 models all still do better than their manuals. Hyundai Elantra, and whatever the Kia equivalent is are there too.

No doubt the US makers are still lagging behind. Euros are pushing dual-clutch setups (autos, no fluid torque converter, and again - more economical than stick).

Bear in mind as well, that the test figures are certainly better than you're likely to achieve in both cases, but when testing they're generally driving to some very strict guidelines to maximise efficiency. Guidelines the average driver is almost certainly not going to be following. Manually selecting when to change gear for optimum efficiency is one more variable that people will generally get all over the place. Autos, and even better CVTs, are much more reliably 'in the right spot' more of the time.

Osiris
VeteranXV
Old
71 - 09-04-2014, 04:34
my merc is a diesel w dsg when im cruising im at like 1100/1200 rpm bro

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
72 - 09-04-2014, 04:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogzinofa View Post
I ignore facts that contradict my statements.
Well I did say it was marginal.

All the cars I have owned in the past two years have had auto spec (with CVT) lower than the manual. But in real world driving experience, I have had identical cars with manual and CVT transmission and I always get slightly better fuel economy from the manual. That could be because I absolutely hammer the CVT as I dislike the feel of them and I like the sound of them screaming.
(and I do know the figures - I just choose to ignore them as they don't fit my reality)

Either way it really makes no difference unless maybe you are running a fleet - for people like us who get bottle service and cocaine blowjobs while cruising between our chalet in Aspen and our Malibu beach shack - who gives **** YOLO amirite? If it came down to maybe saving 10 or 20 gallons a year then you probably can't afford a car anyway.

Last edited by ArakAtak; 09-04-2014 at 04:58..
arsin
Veteran++
Old
73 - 09-04-2014, 07:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
I blah blah blah ... diesels are pretty macho all round really
"macho"

Vlasic
VeteranXX
Old
74 - 09-04-2014, 08:53
The automated dual-clutch "manual" transmissions get better economy than a standard since human error is completely removed from the equation, and they're direct drive as well...

Flunky
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
75 - 09-04-2014, 09:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlasic View Post
The automated dual-clutch "manual" transmissions get better economy than a standard since human error is completely removed from the equation, and they're direct drive as well...
I was going to say this but he was specifically referring to a traditional automatic and then also admitted he was splitting hairs over 2 gallons of gas a month.

I don't think operating a manual transmission makes you a better driver or more aware. it's easy. the only reason it's made out to be this great accomplishment is because teenagers learning to drive post a lot on the internet.

Vlasic
VeteranXX
Old
76 - 09-04-2014, 09:18
Yeah I'm not sure why people think driving a standard is some great ****ing feat. I learned it on a test drive years ago, it's not hard at all.

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
77 - 09-04-2014, 09:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9w51f5G-bg

with my 2001 golf tdi, this used to happen to me all the ****ing time...seriously. i would be at the pump, putting diesel in my car and people would come running over 'noooo what are you doing' - i would tell them it was a ****ing diesel car, i know what i'm doing - and they would have the biggest look of confusion on their face.

doesn't happen anymore though, i guess people have gotten used to them

Flunky
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
78 - 09-04-2014, 09:30
do you also complain when people take the single diesel pump? because at that point you veer toward Pruis style smug...

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
79 - 09-04-2014, 09:38
i only complain when someone uses the gas pump where there is a single diesel pump and goes inside royal farms for 30 minutes to get their ****ty breakfast before coming back out to pump their gas

Glytch
VeteranXX
Old
80 - 09-04-2014, 10:38
Manual has its pro's and cons.

For my S4, the manual is slower and gets worse fuel economy. But it's a more engaging drive. I have the DSG for when I'm sitting in Toronto rush hour traffic, but sometimes I miss 6 speed.

Page 4 of 6

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Car Thread] Diesel?

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
lemon licked my butthole