JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
2321 - 03-25-2011, 11:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Haggis? View Post
what I just read is that the burns they got were basically akin to bad sunburns
So far they aren't showing any ill effects, but that may change in a week to a month though.

2 of 3 radiation-exposed workers suffer internal exposure | Kyodo News

Sponsored Links
Gwaihir
VeteranXX
Old
2322 - 03-25-2011, 11:56
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMo View Post
Update on these guys:

The National Institute of Radiological Sciences, where the three arrived earlier in the day for highly specialized treatment, said the two were exposed to 2 to 6 sieverts of radiation below their ankles, whereas exposure to 250 millisieverts is the limit set for workers dealing with the ongoing crisis, the worst in Japan's history.
---

According to Wikipedia, these guys have a 5-50% chance of dying.
If they were exposed to 2-6 sieverts vice 183 millisieverts that changes everything and is very very serious. Further reading that article says they did not wear rubber boots. That is just plain dumb.

The Safety manual they are operating from does not require boots becasue it assumes the ground is dry. How dumb do you have to be to willing stand in 15 centimeters of radioactive water and not ask for boots?

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
2323 - 03-25-2011, 12:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwaihir View Post
If they were exposed to 2-6 sieverts vice 183 millisieverts that changes everything and is very very serious. Further reading that article says they did not wear rubber boots. That is just plain dumb.

The Safety manual they are operating from does not require boots becasue it assumes the ground is dry. How dumb do you have to be to willing stand in 15 centimeters of radioactive water and not ask for boots?
From NHK:

"The company says 3.9 million becquerels of radioactive substances per cubic centimeter were detected in the water that the workers were standing in. That is 10,000 times higher than levels of the water inside a nuclear reactor in operation."

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
2324 - 03-25-2011, 12:02

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
2325 - 03-25-2011, 12:14
Fresh coolant injected, high-radiation water leaks in nuke crisis | Kyodo News

Pools of water that may have seeped from either the reactor cores or spent fuel pools were also found in the turbine buildings of the No. 2 and No. 4 reactors, measuring up to 1 meter and 80 centimeters deep, respectively, while those near the No. 1 and No. 3 reactors were up to 40 cm and 1.5 cm deep.

Monkey_b
VeteranX
Old
2326 - 03-25-2011, 12:19

there's no end in sight is there? is the situation just going to deteriorate until it ends in catastrophe?

CogitoČ
VeteranX
Old
2327 - 03-25-2011, 13:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMo View Post
Fresh coolant injected, high-radiation water leaks in nuke crisis | Kyodo News

Pools of water that may have seeped from either the reactor cores or spent fuel pools were also found in the turbine buildings of the No. 2 and No. 4 reactors, measuring up to 1 meter and 80 centimeters deep, respectively, while those near the No. 1 and No. 3 reactors were up to 40 cm and 1.5 cm deep.
This is the problem I foresaw earlier. It's fairly obvious that if they're needing to inject water this fast it is leaking somehow. They can keep pumping water, but how on earth will they plug that leak?

Gwaihir
VeteranXX
Old
2328 - 03-25-2011, 13:36
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogitoČ View Post
This is the problem I foresaw earlier. It's fairly obvious that if they're needing to inject water this fast it is leaking somehow. They can keep pumping water, but how on earth will they plug that leak?
Not an engineer, but the containment shell is essentially just concrete, so I would think they can just patch it. They have already given up on using these reactors again, so once they are cool enough they might just bury them anyway. They can't bury them while they are still hot.

CogitoČ
VeteranX
Old
2329 - 03-25-2011, 13:42
Quote:
Not an engineer, but the containment shell is essentially just concrete, so I would think they can just patch it. They have already given up on using these reactors again, so once they are cool enough they might just bury them anyway. They can't bury them while they are still hot.
Right but with radiation spewing out constantly and needing to pump vast loads of water in how would you set up the infrastructure to do this without killing all the workers? Offer kamikaze deals where your remaining family gets paid millions?

Gwaihir
VeteranXX
Old
2330 - 03-25-2011, 13:58
Quote:
Originally Posted by CogitoČ View Post
Right but with radiation spewing out constantly and needing to pump vast loads of water in how would you set up the infrastructure to do this without killing all the workers? Offer kamikaze deals where your remaining family gets paid millions?
The air radiation is within acceptable limits for the workers to be working there. These workers were injured because they were standing in radioactive water WITHOUT protective footwear. If they know the radiation levels, the workers can be properly protected.

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
2331 - 03-25-2011, 14:01
Since this is an 'anonymous' source, take it for what it's worth:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/26/wo...n.html?_r=3&hp

*A senior nuclear executive who insisted on anonymity but has broad contacts in Japan said that there was a long vertical crack running down the side of the reactor vessel itself. The crack runs down below the water level in the reactor and has been leaking fluids and gases, he said.

*But Michael Friedlander, a former nuclear power plant operator in the United States, said that the presence of radioactive cobalt and molybdenum in water samples taken from the basement of the turbine building raised the possibility of a very different leak.

Both materials typically occur not because of fission but because of routine corrosion in a reactor and its associated piping over the course of many years of use, he said.

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
2332 - 03-25-2011, 14:23
Nice, when I click on this thread I get an ad trying to sell some sort of anti-radiation pill.

We should totally be scraping the labels off aspirin pills and selling them online.

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
2333 - 03-25-2011, 14:25
it's insane that anyone in the US would be buying those

CogitoČ
VeteranX
Old
2334 - 03-25-2011, 15:10
Quote:
The air radiation is within acceptable limits for the workers to be working there. These workers were injured because they were standing in radioactive water WITHOUT protective footwear. If they know the radiation levels, the workers can be properly protected.
Right, I understand that, but having to repair a scalding hot reactor vessel, with decaying fuel in it, with radioactive water being pumped in constantly, and the threat of hydrogen explosions seems like one would need more than just a special suit.

I still like my "fill the reactor with eggs" idea.

SecretSquirrel
VeteranXV
Old
2335 - 03-25-2011, 16:53
They are playing it down a lot.

I think the black smoke is individual fuel rods cooking off and catelizing.

Most of the cooling water was seperated into gasses a log time ago and blew off the tops of the buildings. I figured it was pretty bad when that happened.

I assume there has been some direct leakage from those 3 cores since then, and the cooling pool also.

We'll have to see how bad it gets. I gues we could resettle a couple million Japanese in the central valley.

CogitoČ
VeteranX
Old
2336 - 03-25-2011, 17:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretSquirrel View Post
We'll have to see how bad it gets. I gues we could resettle a couple million Japanese in the central valley.
This would instantly improve the valley tenfold.

Bughead
VeteranXX
Old
2337 - 03-25-2011, 17:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Haggis? View Post
it's insane that anyone in the US would be buying those
That's because you have people like this fear mongering:

That's only part of it. She was insisting that the Japanese government has been lying about the severity of the crisis and that the west coast is in imminent danger and something needs to be done about it! After the guy explained to her multiple times that the US is in NO danger she just started getting pissy and telling him he's wrong and to stop lying and whatever . Watch the entire episode to see more.

oDDable
VeteranXX
Old
2338 - 03-25-2011, 17:29
Honestly I don't know how these reporters get away with this ****.

You're straight up inciting fear needlessly and providing false information about a catastrophe.

How the **** is that not against some law? I'm all for free speech but, wow.

Dangerdoggie
VeteranXV
Old
2339 - 03-25-2011, 18:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by samUwell View Post
http://www-tc.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know/files/2011/03/radiation.png
Too bad for the people of Japan they're not just dealing with radiation exposure like having an x-ray but are ingesting the **** from the water, food supply and most likely breathing it in the air.

JackBootedThug
VeteranXV
Old
2340 - 03-27-2011, 00:55
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOfy1CoxrMo

Page 117 of 127

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Godzilla! Huge Earthquake in Japan

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
badmofo's head hit ground , crap filled vagaina , derp harbor , easy peasy japnuke , giant radioactive lizard , godzirra!! , i banged katie too , japs gave me cancer , jomo is never white , lgbr says erryting aok , my rod is hot , never forget pearl harbor , nuclear power scares me , nuclear powered monsters , the ocean took my son , we sinned god attacks , yarr matey i banged katie