bc i am afraid nexting

nah jk i'm just boring

Sponsored Links
Villi
Veteran5
Old
122 - 07-20-2011, 12:03
i have a great idea on how to fix this

we make so-called "circles" that each tw'er can put other tw'ers in and then share only that info with those people...itll be great i swear

oh yeah BFD (big ****ing deal)

Legend
VeteranXX
Old
123 - 07-20-2011, 12:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
We do ban people when we feel they've gone too far, or when they need a time out. Ultimately though there is absolutely nothing we can do to prevent it from happening to begin with. Short of 24 hour smurf-watch, and preventing you from posting pictures and profiles to begin with, what would you have us do?

Reposting your picture or information that YOU shared is not "nexting". If you're embarrassed by that information, do not provide it in the first place. The only alternative from an "administrative" standpoint would be to go gestapo on Tribalwar and remove the ability to speak freely, which was the entire reasoning behind Tribalwar's creation.
It's my opinion (as an experienced forum and IRC admin btw) that while it's impossible to stop people posting compromising information — and usually it's completely by accident because they underestimate what techniques can be used to piece your life together — the responsible way to go is to ensure that if people use the forum as a medium for ****ing with someone's life they should be stopped.

You can't stop someone from posting a photo that someone will use to track down their social network accounts and from there wreak all kinds of havoc, I understand that. But when someone starts using TW to mess with someone's life — whether they got the information via TW or not — you should step in and give them a (temporary) ban. Don't allow TW to be used as a vector for that kind of ****.

People have to take responsibility for what they post, but if you take away the soapbox that assholes use for harassing people they'll usually be far less inclined to bother. If someone really hates someone they might cause **** for them outside of TW, but that's something you don't have to worry about. They key is people feeling secure that the admins won't allow the forum to be used as a bandwagon for attacking them beyond the forum. This lack of trust is what puts exceedingly high-quality posters like myself off being more involved and/or makes them leave because they know nobody's got their back should someone decide to be as ****.

It's quite simply about discretion. If someone posts a photo that gives away their location, great. Sucks for them that someone might use it to bother them, but it's not really an admin issue. But if someone posts someone's location and it's clearly for no other reason than to cause grief for that person, it's not hard to work that out and take action (ie: remove post, ban offender). It's not like we're talking about some subtle thing here: it's extremely obvious when a nexting is occurring and that the person is being a complete *******.

Basically TW has adopted a culture of it being fun to frequently **** with people. This is a product of how the forum has been managed, and on forums managed differently this kind of **** doesn't happen — yet free speech is barely compromised at all. People should know if they next someone it's an instant ban, and that anything they do post will be removed. If people decide to echo it to cause further grief, they get removed. A little time consuming but that's part of managing a community.

But hey, if everyone wants TW's quality to continue degrading into a mess of Reddit/Digg/SomethingAwful re-posts, trolls, and general bull**** then go for it. It'l be sad when every worthwhile member has moved on and found less hostile communities or just stopped posting on forums altogether because the forum used to have a great atmosphere and I still see plenty of peeks of that in the cracks between all the garbage, but I guess all things end.

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
125 - 07-20-2011, 12:05
ban for posting a fellow tw members information

T-Refried-455
VeteranXX
Old
126 - 07-20-2011, 12:06
i mean that's tip of the iceberg

joe's info is all over this forum; it's barely even a 'nexting'

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
127 - 07-20-2011, 12:07
chris johnson is able to program in basic

free fraggle

Morganstern
VeteranXV
Old
128 - 07-20-2011, 12:07
Joe you'd be less of a disgrace if you'd just have let it go and lurked. I least you would have really "put your money where your mouth is."

Honestly, you should have just said your piece and never checked this thread again. It's like Pacino once said, "Every time I try to get out, they pull me back IN!"

Seriously, follow your own advice. The TW groupies will find some other cockstar in a day or two to throng after and Next...

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
129 - 07-20-2011, 12:08
Tehvul should I ban you for posting dweasels info?

Legend
VeteranXX
Old
130 - 07-20-2011, 12:09
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemomma5000 View Post
[...] I would say what happened was I clicked someone's link of K0tz's linkedin on my BB which still had my linkedin logged in, and then he or ref or lemon or whoever the nexting collective is now took the list of everyone who clicked on his name that day and began comparing it to TW users who were online then or replied and then google spamming old TW threads with said user names to try to put the pieces together.
You see? This is exactly what I ****ing meant when I said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriky
Instead the person is told they shouldn't have posted anything revealing, ignoring the extraordinary ability to sniff things out some of the ****s on this forum have.
and:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriky
[...] while it's impossible to stop people posting compromising information ***8212; and usually it's completely by accident because they underestimate what techniques can be used to piece your life together ***8212; the responsible way to go is to ensure that if people use the forum as a medium for ****ing with someone's life they should be stopped.
I'm sorry admins but you can't blame the users for this. Some administrative responsibility needs to be taken here.

Rampancy
Veteran++
Old
131 - 07-20-2011, 12:09
HEY GUYS HE POSTED PERSONAL INFO ON THIS FORUM 7-8 YEARS AGO THEREFORE IT'S TOTALLY OK TO HARRASS HIM

|V|
VeteranXV
Old
132 - 07-20-2011, 12:09
well said

vab dude

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
133 - 07-20-2011, 12:10
as an experienced irc and forum admin, btw, bfd(big ****ing deal), I must be doing something right

T-Refried-455
VeteranXX
Old
134 - 07-20-2011, 12:10
yeah once again

nothing was actually done to joe

HeLLrAiSr
VeteranXV
Old
135 - 07-20-2011, 12:10
ref play l4d2

mmelmo:(
VeteranX
Old
136 - 07-20-2011, 12:11
i'm so glad big ****ing deal has become a thing for today

Vanster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
137 - 07-20-2011, 12:12
I just don't get it. I've always enjoyed playing Tribes with jm5k, and have had little or no interaction with him outside of that--but even for a guy I don't know, this sounds like paranoia to me. I don't care if people know my real name, my IP address or where I've worked. People don't know much about my Dad and mom, my kids, or my wife (wives?) because I don't talk about those people on gaming forums. I guess if I were someone that was constantly posting details from work (badmofo: I IM'd Kevin Mitnick and he answered ZOMG LET ME PASTE THE WHOLE THING AS PROOF) I'd have something to worry about.

When someone can show me how they've been hurt in real life because a gaming forum found their name, IP, or where they work, I'll take it a little more seriously.

Last edited by Vanster; 07-20-2011 at 12:15..
sheex
VeteranX
Old
138 - 07-20-2011, 12:13
wait I'm a little confused, does nexting refer to the posting someone's personal information or does it refer to someone trying to harass you IRL?

T-Refried-455
VeteranXX
Old
139 - 07-20-2011, 12:13
well blitz is an example

but i mean **** that guy

nigafool
VeteranXX
Old
140 - 07-20-2011, 12:15
is there a master list of all the people who have been nexted and what happened to them:

kurayami - received a phone call (left forever)
tse tse - email hacked (left forever)
yoda - professor received an email (i dont think he left, maybe he did?)
fourstar - got fired after being nexted by another forum
blitz - says he didnt get fired for taking pictures of women at toys r us but probably did
jm4k - ??
jeremy daspin - received goatse in the mail (died)
cyanide - received a phone call from strega aka the sheriff of nottingham (still posts)
nigafol - cy called my mom and told her i sold coke (still posts)

who am i missing

there must be dozens more based on how upset ppl are about it

Page 7 of 39

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Why I left/am leaving TW

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
ಠ_ಠ , ace-con.com is awesome , ace-con.com ripped me off , ace-con.com trash site , big fucking deal , chris johnson toronto , doin my own thing in wow forum , must be doing something right , o neat kura is posting , the fall of tw , yarr matey i banged katie