PVP and DPS

{X}Hitman

Veteran XV
I am looking for some advice on my DK. Doing 2v2s with a holy pali. I am having a ton of trouble with any healing class, but especially priests and druids. Just seems like I can not pump out the DPS to get ahead of them unless my garg is up. Here is my spec currently.

The World of Warcraft Armory

I use the unholy for PVP and DPS. I am looking for ideas on changes to get more DPS. Obliterate vs. Scourge Strike? Is there a better time to use Oblit rather than SS other than fighting Priests and such with shadow dmg debuffs? I find myself never using Oblit in normal DPS at all. In my tests it usually scores much lower than SS. In raids though I see people pumping out massive Oblits though. My rotation at start is usually plague strike, Ice Touch, Pestilence, Blood boil, Death coil, and Scourge strike. Then keep dots up while spamming SS and death coil.

Thanks in advance for the help. Anyone else on Turalyon?

The easiest improvement gear wise I see that will pump up your dps is to grab the sigil of awareness from the badge vendor, scourge/oblits are puny without it. Its worth pugging for.

Yeah, I am currently on that road. It has been hard on my server to get pugs for it. Everyone wants 3k plus dps for Naxx, OS, and VoA. They are becomming the new Kara.

I think that sigil will help a ton though.

The best thing I was able to do to up my DPS was to go to wow-heros.com and look up my DK and look over the recommendations. Right now you are ahead of me on the gear and I can do 1.6-1.7k DPS unbuffed.

Always use SS when it is up. It will do better damage than OB. Go to the Heroic Dummy and try this rotation:

IT -> PS -> BS -> BS -> SS-> DC

However, you also have to realize that in PVP a rotation is not the best thing to do. Also make sure you are using Strangulate and the other mind freeze or whatever it is called any time you fight anything other than a warrior. To handle the healers who run alot you can also spam Chains of Ice to keep them close to you.

Also I recommend you get rid of some of your enchants and go with STR or AP. 1 STR = 2 AP so be careful on which you choose. If you stick with the recommendations on wow-heros.com you should see a nice change in your DPS.

BTW fully buffed I do well into the 2k DPS now and I still don't have all the Deadly Gladiator gear. Just full hateful.

Last edited:
You need to stop gemming str/stam, and just gem strength. You need a new sigil and hopefully a weapon if you can afford to pug or get 1850. Put 5/5 Impurity instead of 1/3 Wandering Plague and you want to use scourge strike, not obliterate as you said.

Druids are a bit tougher to kill because you have to get a good switch on them when they don't have any hots on them (via strangulate, gnaw, partner stun/silence/dispel/etc), but you should be ripping apart priests, even in that gear.

Make sure to time your strangulate when they are low after your gnaw stun goes through with death grip cd up because you don't want to miss out on an opportunity to kill if you strangulate first then gnaw gets resisted/dodged/feared/etc. You want your death grip cooldown up before a kill if possible because its an another interrupt for you if you end up getting slowed or feared.

Good luck.

Awesome tips guys. Working on the sigil and weapon big time. I know it will help me a lot.

stanley, thanks for the info and the site. I am going to check that out tonight.

Terra do you use gnaw or strangle first? Is there a better or worse option there?

Well I am not Terra, but I use the Jump/Gnaw macro and wait for the stun to be up and then use Strangulate. Coming from playing a rogue it's easier for me to see the stuns wear off.

Awesome tips guys. Working on the sigil and weapon big time. I know it will help me a lot.

stanley, thanks for the info and the site. I am going to check that out tonight.

Terra do you use gnaw or strangle first? Is there a better or worse option there?

Gnaw first then into Strangulate because Gnaw can miss, get dodged, be immune, etc. Call out your strangulate so your partner knows to cc after. I already said this! :p

Back