Smoked Spicy Cajun Turkey

Big Monkey

Veteran XV
One 12-14lb Butterball Turkey
Slap Ya Mama Cajun Seasoning
1/2 stick butter

If the turkey is frozen, let it thaw in the fridge. Might take 3-5 days. I would highly suggest laying down some kitchen towels and putting the bird in a plastic grocery bag while it thaws so you won't get messy stuff all over your fridge.

When you're ready to cook, take out the butter 2 hours before use to let it come up to room temp. Once it's warm, feel free to mix it with herbs like Rosemary, sage, or poultry seasoning.

Bring your heat source up to temp...I use 350-400 degrees.

Unwrap turkey and take out the stuff inside like the neck, giblets, etc. then rinse it and pat dry.

Rub your softened butter all over, then season it with the Slap Ya Mama.

BMk5RxN.jpg

Place it in your smoker directly on the grate
HJ5b8MA.jpg

Cook it about 3 hours around 350-400 degrees or till internal temp of the breast reaches 165.

QfKopkA.jpg

gDiW6yl.jpg

Put a tent of foil over the pan and let it rest for about 20-30 minutes.

Slice and enjoy

Mpsg9Ef.jpg

I've never given high temp smoking like this a shot I know it's getting super popular so I suppose I should give it a whirl some time.

I usually do poultry at 325-350 but yes high temp smoking seems to be growing in popularity.

There is a pop up where I live and he does his briskets at 375, the results are fantastic

No brine or injection. The Butterball, Honeysuckle, and other brands which advertise "moist" or "juicy", generally already have solutions injected to ensure that it isn't dry when cooked. For the more organic/farm raised brands you'll find in higher end stores, then yes I'd recommend a brine. I much prefer the easier no brine approach, so I'll choose Butterball and the like every time.

The higher temp not only reduces your cook time, but also helps make sure the skin isn't a rubbery mess with poultry. 350-400 is ideal for poultry IMO.

Brisket I usually keep In a range between 275-325. Any higher and I'd have to watch it way too closely when it's near being done as I am always afraid of overcooking it and having it crumble when slicing the flat.

There's the traditional Rosemary and butter...which is just that. A lot of fresh Rosemary...or you can sub in dried crushed if you don't have any fresh growing. Melt down some butter and mix it with rosemary, maybe a little sage or whatever herbs you like then rub under skin first then over the skin. Make sure to add a little kosher salt and black pepper too outside for a flavorful skin.

Sometimes I use BBQ rub too, like Head Country Championship rub or Plowboys Yardbird. You can find them on Amazon, or just go to Academy Sports store and get some there too.

I'd recommend doing a test run with some chicken pieces, or go buy a small half turkey breast at Sprouts or whatever similar store is in your area. You can bake in the oven for the test run to get an idea of how the flavor will turn out with the Turkey.

Back