Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Tribes : Ascend
Page 56 of 2009
Water Demon
Veteran4
Old
1101 - 03-18-2011, 22:37
I guess all armor/objects in the future have half-ass paint jobs. They missed a few spots. :[

Sponsored Links
Teratos
Veteran5
Old
1102 - 03-18-2011, 22:44
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeaqq3djWBI

Teratos
Veteran5
Old
1103 - 03-19-2011, 00:36
Quote:
gothaggis

Post Re: New developer?
I don't think he took jabs at t2 players at all. Many people (most) in the Tribes community are resistant to change...but there is a reason....it's called Tribes Vengeance (I kid...I kid....or do i?). I love the fact that HiRez is using t2 as the reference point and building on that. Tribes 2 is a great game - that came out 10 years ago. There have been quite a few changes in game design since then that Tribes could take advantage of. Simple things like Achievements to more complex stuff like weapon unlocks and star ratings (like in bf:bc2)
Can we ban this "gothaggis" character from TW at least? he's advocating weapon "unlocks" in Tribes. That's surely a permaban offense.

Texas Dragon
VeteranXX
Old
1104 - 03-19-2011, 00:38
yeah wtf, why would you want that bull**** in a tribes game?

spockhammer
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1105 - 03-19-2011, 00:42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UE7zICDas28

starwolf_nexus
VeteranXV
Old
1106 - 03-19-2011, 01:42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teratos View Post
Can we ban this "gothaggis" character from TW at least? he's advocating weapon "unlocks" in Tribes. That's surely a permaban offense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Dragon View Post
yeah wtf, why would you want that bull**** in a tribes game?
I third this motion. Unlocks do nothing but prolong an otherwise daft game (cod series), they add nothing but frustration to new players due to them not having access to them.

they promote gameplay and game styles that is otherwise generically the same, Quick 100% twitchy small matches that require little thinking of strategy or helping out teammates.

TAA WAR
VeteranXV
Old
1107 - 03-19-2011, 02:14
The armors look a lot like Halo.

Got Haggis?
VeteranXX
Old
1108 - 03-19-2011, 02:16
You guys need to change with the times

DrMeithos
VeteranX
Old
1109 - 03-19-2011, 03:20
(I'm a T1 diehard and thinking outloud if these had been implemented in T1)

Actually, I think Got Haggis has a really, really good point w/ achievements. Everybody knows that T1's learning curve was too steep for 99% of players to learn really how to play competitively. If T1 had set achievements for players, and let them know what it took like say... "Cap on Stonehenge in 7 seconds", "Destroy Raindance generators within 45 seconds of leaving an inventory station", or "Deploy 15 turrents, 2 radar sensors, 2 invo stations within the first 2 minutes of the game" to get players to ask "how the **** is that possible?" Make a system that encourages players to explore the depth of the game. Unlocks do that also. Level up only if you do certain HO, HoF, capper achievements.

MaD_ReBeL
VeteranXV
Old
1110 - 03-19-2011, 03:33
i dont think anyone has an ideological objection to achievements. unlockables though can suck dicks covered in herpes outbreak.

Hellsfury
VeteranXX
Old
1111 - 03-19-2011, 05:22
The Tribes learning curve stems more from an abundance of subtle nuances that can't be recognized or learned through direct experience... then it does through a precise skill set unique to Tribes and of playing that game.

For example... "skiing" isn't really a difficult thing to learn to do in the game. It's an important thing, but learning it is merely a matter of understanding what it is and then being observant to discover how best to use it on a given map.

It doesn't take a great deal of natural (born with) talent to watch a demo recording or a YouTube video or follow your fellow players around to learn a route through a map. It then just takes repetition and practice to master the new route. There is nothing complicated or "steep" about it.

But, nothing in the game leads a player to naturally discover how repeatedly mashing your spacebar will cause your character to run down slopes without slowing down. Some one or some thing has to tell the player, because the internal workings of the game makes it unlikely that a player will naturally figure out the mechanic involved in skiing. Unless another player, a website, a demo or video tells a player... they could easily go without ever knowing it.

and that is just one example of perhaps many of these undocumented nuances that actually define game play inside the original game of Starsiege: Tribes. When the fundamental principles of gameplay revolve around these types of things... then yea... learning how to play the game will be difficult.

Last edited by Hellsfury; 03-19-2011 at 05:24..
Milk-Man
VeteranXX
Old
1112 - 03-19-2011, 05:28
I'm still trying to figure out how to ski

CelticMojo
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
1113 - 03-19-2011, 05:31
I think the biggest turn off for new people coming to the tribes arena isn't the mythical learning curve it's the community itself. The elitist ****bag attitude 99% of us have on the servers towards new players. That and unlocks killed tibes ascend.

Texas Dragon
VeteranXX
Old
1114 - 03-19-2011, 05:52
tribes elitism is nothing compared to games like dota/hon/lol

MaD_ReBeL
VeteranXV
Old
1115 - 03-19-2011, 05:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakuza View Post
I think the biggest turn off for new people coming to the tribes arena isn't the mythical learning curve it's the community itself. The elitist ****bag attitude 99% of us have on the servers towards new players. That and unlocks killed tibes ascend.
because the communities in *insert any new game here* are so upbeat and positive right?

Highfive
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1116 - 03-19-2011, 06:07

Mindflayr
VeteranXV
Old
1117 - 03-19-2011, 06:46

Last edited by Mindflayr; 03-19-2011 at 07:07..
coombz
VeteranXX
Old
1118 - 03-19-2011, 06:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Haggis? View Post
You guys need to change with the times
yeah because games are so much better these days

darkpiece
VeteranXX
Old
1119 - 03-19-2011, 06:56
why is the tribes 2 heavy in the middle of a farmer's field?

Mindflayr
VeteranXV
Old
1120 - 03-19-2011, 07:08
NEW PAGE:

Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeaqq3djWBI
****ing Fantastic. HiRez should start using this immediately (with your permission of course). If you hook me up with the highest quality version of it you have, I would be happy to help distribute it to as wide an audience as possible. Probably will feature it on the homepage of my upcoming fansite as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellsfury View Post
I really hope they do not adopt the "Andre the Giant" style of Heavy Armour which appears like a 8 foot fat guy in a suit ala Tribes2 (complete with bucket on his head)
I Disagree.

Quote:
<3 Haggis but Hate unlocks idea. Achievements, why the F not. Unlocks, I wouldnt play it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMeithos View Post
(I'm a T1 diehard and thinking outloud if these had been implemented in T1)

Actually, I think Got Haggis has a really, really good point w/ achievements. Everybody knows that T1's learning curve was too steep for 99% of players to learn really how to play competitively. If T1 had set achievements for players, and let them know what it took like say... "Cap on Stonehenge in 7 seconds", "Destroy Raindance generators within 45 seconds of leaving an inventory station", or "Deploy 15 turrents, 2 radar sensors, 2 invo stations within the first 2 minutes of the game" to get players to ask "how the **** is that possible?" Make a system that encourages players to explore the depth of the game. Unlocks do that also. Level up only if you do certain HO, HoF, capper achievements.
Completly agreed. Introducing new players to how tob e useful to your team, including "Basic Positions" and recommended Loadouts, etc, would all have made the T1 and t2 experience faster to pick up. Many people still wont "get it", at least not to a competative level, but maybe they will go further than mortaring to defend their own base or standing midfield spamming missiles.

Beyond achievments, you also need a good points system (t2s was decent, but could probably use a few tweaks) to encourage the beahviours you want players to display. Do points matter to most vets. NO (except projectile). BUt to the vast majority of players.. the people we want to pick up the game, thrive and stay with it (so we have people to kill for years to come) live for Points, Achievements, and KDR. SInce we can't put a KDR in Tribes without ruining the game, making sure the other 2 are there and have depth is KEY.

Page 56 of 2009

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Tribes : Ascend

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
35 psi , animal approves , ascend means more shrikes , austrians , badmofo is a big fucking deal , better graphics without t1 , bf3 blows goats , blitz is a cyberathlete , conspiracy , constraints = creativity , dare play tribe , derp , fuzzy is best tribe player , grapple , kill obibun's dad please , loadout fail , loafting , look i added some tags , moar mortar plz , obibun taint licker , odio is a fucking retard , odio is fucking a retard , phase 12 , primers , raaaaape~wdeath , targeting laser ftw , the enemy is raping our base , the tao of tribe , this game will succeed , tits:ass , tribes 4 will be fun , tribes: ass end , unreal engine fail , vab nothing left to prove , ze balls make it gay