1.1.0B by AdreNaLiNe - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Star Wars: The Old Republic
Reload this Page 1.1.0B
Page 2 of 2
boston
VeteranXV
Old
21 - 01-25-2012, 06:12
I like my shadow more now that I gave up on the tanking tree for pvp. 2/31/8 is what I'm using now, big projects big shadow breachs, and big shadow strikes. I just use deflect and resilience when I get targeted, and keep my force up with blackout. Its pew pew with big numbers that will only get bigger as I shift my gear from tanking to dps.

I miss force pull and being able to kick out of stealth, but its nice to wreck healers and ops so fast and I get that leg strike stun so I'm more utility.

Sponsored Links
boston
VeteranXV
Old
22 - 01-25-2012, 06:15
Oh and learn to manage the resolve bar. Don't ever turn that thing white unless you can kill him off in the stuns duration.

Data
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
23 - 01-25-2012, 09:27
I could be mistaken, but I seem to get much better graphical performance since the patch. Game is like buttah.

Didn't really notice much difference in the combat delay, to be honest. But it was never a big deal for me to begin with.

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
24 - 01-25-2012, 10:40
I hit a wall on Hoth. I just can't take the "Oh thank god someone of your stature showed up, we need a hand" quests anymore.

Die Hard
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
25 - 01-25-2012, 10:59
go pvp!

Natural
VeteranXX
Old
26 - 01-25-2012, 11:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaqaho View Post
I've never enjoyed leveling in either game. I didn't mind leveling alts in WoW but that was with heirlooms and perks to boost leveling speed (and almost entirely on rest XP). I liked leveling to about 10-11 on my first SWTOR toon after I found out you can spam spacebar to speed up the process, but after that it became really boring.

To help with the boredom I figured maybe it was the class (sage), so Natural suggested I try a Sentinel since the guild has about 50 sages as well as plenty of active tanks. I can clear packs of mobs much faster on the Sentinel which is good, but it's still nonstop running for miles and miles for quests and spamming spacebar to get rid of cinematics.

I now have 2 toons to levels 16-18 but no desire to play the game. I've just been leveling for a few hours a week when nothing else is going on or have companions run slicing missions nonstop while tabbed out playing WoW or streaming music. Eventually I'll level up or maybe I'll find a way to enjoy the game, but so far leveling has been nothing short of painfully boring. Teriyaki from TC also picked up the game last week, leveled his first character to 4 or 5, and now he's trying to talk Zeph into leveling for him or buying his account after he found out you can't really find packs of quickly spawning mobs and grind your way to 50 since he hates questing even moreso than me.
Things get better with a mount when you can usually kill things nonstop in-between quest objectives. PVP experience is also non-trivial but I wouldn't recommend that until after 30 when you have a majority of your class abilities.

Some of the quest stories are simple/boring but the class quests and main planet quests are usually good quality. If you can't appreciate those then I understand why leveling sucks for you.

d0ur
VeteranX
Old
27 - 01-25-2012, 11:33
i'm enjoying it. i guess i don't come in having high expectations and need the game to be super polished to have fun.

i really like the Knight/Guardian alt i'm playing. makes me want to play sentinel just to see how much more pure dmg it would be then a dps guardian. though i do enjoy the ability to go guard/defensive stance.

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
28 - 01-25-2012, 12:38
I get that quest design is pretty basic. Kill quest, gather quest, activate quest. Those are your big three. The problem however is that they're almost always exactly the same thing. A gather quest is really just a disguised kill quest. An activate quest requires you to kill everything to get to an object. The mobs by and large look alike, and will come in groups of 3 or 4 normals, a strong/normal, the occasional solo elite. None present any real challenge.

As far as story goes, bragging about a game being full voiced and then hearing how people just use space to skip non-story missions seems to make the full voice aspect a marginal selling point. If you left out planet names, most of the side quests are interchangable and could be taking place at any point on any planet during the game.

AdreNaLiNe
VeteranXX
Old
29 - 01-25-2012, 12:45
Skill Calculator - Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) Database

Shadow PvP. Swappable "Elusiveness" for Jedi Resistance. I'm not sure how you got 7 points into the the Balance tree, boston.

AdreNaLiNe
VeteranXX
Old
30 - 01-25-2012, 12:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fool View Post
I get that quest design is pretty basic. Kill quest, gather quest, activate quest. Those are your big three. The problem however is that they're almost always exactly the same thing. A gather quest is really just a disguised kill quest. An activate quest requires you to kill everything to get to an object. The mobs by and large look alike, and will come in groups of 3 or 4 normals, a strong/normal, the occasional solo elite. None present any real challenge.

As far as story goes, bragging about a game being full voiced and then hearing how people just use space to skip non-story missions seems to make the full voice aspect a marginal selling point. If you left out planet names, most of the side quests are interchangable and could be taking place at any point on any planet during the game.
In your first paragraph, that's not always true. Depending on your class, you can achieve quests differently. I spent a lot less time killing mobs, a lot more time getting free xp from quest turn ins, and got the rest via PvP heh.

d0ur
VeteranX
Old
31 - 01-25-2012, 14:06
you dont have to do the bonus quests. most of the time i'm just doing my class quests on planets and anything near those also get done, the rest get dropped. i pvp a lot so i between pvp, ship and class quest xp i outlevel planets right away.

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
32 - 01-25-2012, 14:36
No, you don't have to do them any more than you have to do pvp, or grind mobs, or heroic quests, or flashpoints. It's just one of many paths of leveling. However the class quests, while interesting, are not enough XP by themselves to keep you level high enough to progress further. You must do something in addition.

My point is that pretty much every non-class quest is the same "Move to this area, kill Republic/Imperial/Monster, return for bonus xp" with the same basic story of "Thank god you're here" dialogue. It's very dull and unimaginative.

I thought the space combat quests were a fun little break, until they started repeating the same exact combat quests that just had slight higher damage output.

boston
VeteranXV
Old
33 - 01-25-2012, 14:57
Skill Calculator - Star Wars: The Old Republic (SWTOR) Database

thats what im rocking, i like the heavy hits from project. so i tried to make it as beefy as possible. so i took upheaval.

AdreNaLiNe
VeteranXX
Old
34 - 01-25-2012, 15:25
Is the second one capable of crit'ing? Also, if it does, does it eat a point of force potency?

PessimiStick
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
35 - 01-25-2012, 15:30
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdreNaLiNe View Post
Is the second one capable of crit'ing? Also, if it does, does it eat a point of force potency?
Yes, and Yes.

When you pop Reck/Potency, always Discharge/Whatever first, then Shock/Project. Unless you have 4p PvP, then it doesn't really matter.

AdreNaLiNe
VeteranXX
Old
36 - 01-25-2012, 15:59
That's the thing Pessi, wouldn't it better than to not have that talent? I would get 1 force breach and 2 full projects in the 20 seconds. That'd be an on average 2000 damage harder hit. (already in full champions minus 1 relic since we got screwed on the relics).

Interesting. Maybe I will try spec'ing into that next week and drop elusiveness. Oh how I would miss 20 second force speed and 45 sec reslience, which feels like it's always there when I need it.

Last edited by AdreNaLiNe; 01-25-2012 at 16:08..
PessimiStick
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
37 - 01-25-2012, 16:40
You're giving up 50% damage on a future shock for more burst now, plus more free damage and burst for the other 1:45 when you don't have Recklessness up.

I prefer the chain shock builds even with the quirk they cause in that specific case.

AdreNaLiNe
VeteranXX
Old
38 - 01-25-2012, 17:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by PessimiStick View Post
You're giving up 50% damage on a future shock for more burst now, plus more free damage and burst for the other 1:45 when you don't have Recklessness up.

I prefer the chain shock builds even with the quirk they cause in that specific case.
Is it 50% or more than 50? In other words, does the second project use circling shadows at all from the clairvoyant strikes?

Also, at 45% instead of 100%. I am gauging this with the talent for improving Clairvoyant Strike damage by 6%, and using the thought process that 1. this second project doesn't use circling shadows, and 2. The second 3-4k crit of the project in 4pc PvP set is worth more, though it's done ~4 seconds later. Will def. try.

My only thinking is that there's actually a lot more burst when you hit with project x 2 and breach x 1 with force potency/reck up. Or should I say, a helluva lot more damage rather than burst.

Last edited by AdreNaLiNe; 01-25-2012 at 17:25..
Page 2 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > The Archives > Star Wars: The Old Republic
Reload this Page 1.1.0B

Social Website Bullshit