ITT: I will answer questions about military equipment/history.

C-97FlypastFrontview.jpg

while doing a little research on the Berlin Airlift, I ran across this.

The 50's were so fucking awesome

there's a lot to be said for the 'naked' finish on an airframe.

Do you have any idea how much the paint job on an aircraft that size weighs?

But the thing is super amazing!

PS.... I thought it was built by the Norwegians for the Russians.

Last edited:
have you ever read the forgotten soldier?

whats your opinion on the german struggle to gtfo out of the Memel Front when their navy was getting shit on and the soviets were slowly wearing them down, but not too quickly because their main armies had bypassed the pocket in order to get Prague and Berlin? thats gottta be a pretty shitty feeling and just any thoughts you had on it would be appreciated

Who would have won that cock-tease battle at the end of The Final Countdown and how would the presence of the USS Nimitz back in WW2 actually affect the war?

Who would have won that cock-tease battle at the end of The Final Countdown and how would the presence of the USS Nimitz back in WW2 actually affect the war?

Are you serious?
As long as the US could reproduce the jp5 to keep the jets flying, that one CV would have ended the war with in the year

Are you serious?
As long as the US could reproduce the jp5 to keep the jets flying, that one CV would have ended the war with in the year

The fuel, the bombs, the missiles... I think you're seriously over-estimating what one carrier could do, especially in the day and age of where the Japs were willing to fling manpower at steel.

Wait, you trot out how the russians had the top #s, yet dismiss kill ratios? either #s count or they fucking don't.

In direct head to head fights, the F-86 killed MORE MiGs than MiGs killed F-86s. To me, that pretty much ends the debate. You can analyze turn rates, climb rates, max ceiling, speed, yada yada yada until you're blue in the face, but you're comparing two different approaches to a2a combat, and in the end, it comes down to who had the higher kill ratio. Period.

My argument in my first post made perfect sense to anyone familiar with a2a combat instead of someone looking at a spec sheet.
You're correct. I know absolutely nothing about aerial combat tactics. I have everyone else fooled, though--only people with special nationalistic glasses can see the truth behind my posts.

From this thread we have learned that it is 100% impossible to compare, for example, the F6F and A6M because one of the pair required energy tactics and the other turn. The fact that they both did battle and that their combat records and engineering principles can be examined is irrelevant because one couldn't turn as well as the other.

. They allow for the versatility if a chopper with the range/fuel economy of a fixed wing aircraft. The military loves this (specifically the USMC--an Osprey would greatly extend their range and logistics base.)

Kura knows his shit. I play golf with a bigwig at Boeing who works on the Osprey, he said the military fucking loves them...regardless of their "crash-tastic" history.

My friend who just came back from Iraq said those marines fucking love them, and what marines want marines get.

I honestly haven't followed the V-22 too closely in the past few years.

Last I knew:
The USMC was totally behind the MV-22.
The USAF was very interested in the V-22.

It seems simple, but it's actually pretty complex. You're basically combining rotary wing and fixed wing dynamics into a single aircraft. The issues mostly stem from transitioning between the two. That's why a lot of Marines have died--it's sort of new terrain in practical aeronautical engineering (though the groundwork for the concepts have been around since the '40s.)

That said
As far as I know, the US is still behind the Osprey project, though my info is dated.
I believe that tilt-rotor designs will become a major factor in the 21st century. They allow for the versatility if a chopper with the range/fuel economy of a fixed wing aircraft. The military loves this (specifically the USMC--an Osprey would greatly extend their range and logistics base.)

On the civil aviation front, the proliferation of tilt rotor aircraft would basically allow major airports to be located within downtown sections of large cities and would really facilitate rapid regional travel (imagine downtown Boston to Manhattan in a tilt-rotor. You could go from downtown to downtown in a matter of hours with no hassle.)

It's a very solid concept.
Whether or not the actual V-22 design is sound... I don't have the aeronautical background to comment. I would again defer to Eggi if he sees this thread.

To add to this:
Last summer I went to the Boeing plant in Philidelphia that built the Osprey. It is still alive and kicking and the most recent version (might be H or I..or I could be confusing those with the new chinooks which I also got to check out). They have fixed almost all of the issues that they were having with them. All of the branches are interested in them in some way and they are still getting massive amounts of funding. The project is hardly "failed" or "dead" by any means.

PS the new *H-47's (H, I, or J's can't remember now?) are bad ass. They have new technology that allows them to automagically 'wave off' if you will if something goes wrong during a landing (visibility, something happening on the ground, ect). With the press of a button the aircraft will take back off (coordinating the cyclic, collective, pedals, and throttle). Which helps if the pilot is injured or disoriented during a landing/pickup/drop-off/ect.

I won't answer for Kura, but my understanding of it was that the USSR was gearing up to go at Japan. Finishing it all off before they joined and gained a say in any surrender terms was one of the main reasons for the nukes.

Thanx dude, that's really interesting. Was this info in a personal journal (I heard that the president at the time had one) that was written that explains these backroom machinations?

If you look at the Marine's charts for aviation training by base you'll see the Osprey's certainly scheduled to stay around. Flexibility ftw.

The fuel, the bombs, the missiles... I think you're seriously over-estimating what one carrier could do, especially in the day and age of where the Japs were willing to fling manpower at steel.

The only thing you are correct on would be the missiles, the dumb bombs that were used could be retro fitted and they would need to set up to make ammo for the tomcats guns which would be more then enough to take out anything in the air.

The radar sonar and anti sub technology on that ship was insane compared to what was available at the time. If that scenario actually took place, they could have launched 15-20 planes to intercept the incoming japs all the while launching another 15-20 planes to go sink the jap carriers. That would have taken place in 1 day with minimal US losses if any.

what

#1: You aren't sinking a ship (especially during WW2. When they were actually heavily armored) with 20mm. The M61 would be useless against anything but perhaps a DD or DDE.

#2: The F-14 only carried A2A missiles, so it has zero capacity to engage surface targets at standoff range.

#3: The "precision weapons" that the F-14 could carry (namely JDAMs and Paveways) would be utterly useless since they rely upon GPS (which didn't exist) or laser guidance (which would be impossible to utilize since there'd be nobody to paint a target.)

#4: All of this essentially means that an F-14 in this retarded scenario would be confined to using the exact same tactics that TBDs and SDBs used at the time (I.E., dumb bombs from low altitude at relatively low speeds.) And it's pretty clear that people don't have a clear conception of just how many dozens of pounds of AAA fire a CV battlegroup can put out every second--a single CV alone is going to generally have close to 30 larger caliber (~25-40mm) AA weapons and possibly dozens of smaller caliber (.50) mounts. Couple that with flak and the fact that every ship in the group is similarly armed and you begin to understand why flying a torpedo bomber in WW2 was all but suicidal.

And if you want to hit a ship, you'd have to get in range of all of that.
And when thousands of rounds are flying past you a second, some of them are going to hit.

They'd be far better employed for recon. Their radar and speed would actually enable them to make a real contribution in that role. Certainly a better use than sending them flying through curtains of lead to be bomb trucks.

Back