Page 7 of 28
telos
VeteranXV
Old
121 - 02-08-2010, 16:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durak View Post
what world do you live in?
The one where if you sign off on a project and something you signed off on fails and kills people you are held responsible.

Sponsored Links
Hansel
VeteranXV
Old
122 - 02-08-2010, 16:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by CloroX View Post
I could give less than a **** about traveling to another country (or even another state) to see an overgrown monstrosity of a building. These up and coming nations seem to like to build them as some kind of phallic object, the largest architectural cock, like it cements their presence on the world stage. Indeed, Americans are steaming with rage that we no longer have the tallest building in the world. It really doesn't mean ****.
Well clearly that is not why I travel either.

My comment about Americans being jealous of Dubai, was really based on other forum where I witnessed Americans whining about plans to build Marvel amusement park in Dubai and not in U.S. But some of these comments here are pretty much the same.

Yankee
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
123 - 02-08-2010, 16:28
Damn Americans being pro American!

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
124 - 02-08-2010, 16:29
How many building projects have you fellas worked on?

You think SOM and Turner are gonna **** on their reputations as the best in the world just to cut some corners in Dubai, risking to never get another contract anywhere ever again?

The point is this: if the people in charge of the project are reputable and responsible, it will get done properly... even if the guys doing the actual work are clueless. You can show a monkey how to build a brick wall, as long as the architects and engineers are there to make sure they're doing it right.

starwolf_nexus
VeteranXV
Old
125 - 02-08-2010, 16:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by amRam View Post
I saw the same thing on discovery. That's how construction works in places where skilled labour isn't readily available. The point is that engineers and architects have to sign off on the finished work, which they won't do if it isn't up to par. The brains behind the operation are all westerners, so unless they wanna tarnish their image for the rest of the world to see on such a huge project, they're gonna make double sure that everything is completed to spec.
Sampoong Department Store Collapse
Seconds from disaster - Department store collapse | Free Educational Videos - Watch Educational Videos Online | Veoh

best thing is that after reviewing other buildings they found similar faults...

[N]PRIME189
VeteranXX
Old
126 - 02-08-2010, 16:30
lol "this was the only reason i came to dubai, to go to a big tower in the middle of a desert" wtf.

Artemis Pockels
VeteranX
Old
127 - 02-08-2010, 16:31
Quote:

You think SOM and Turner are gonna **** on their reputations as the best in the world just to cut some corners in Dubai, risking to never get another contract anywhere ever again?

The point is this: if the people in charge of the project are reputable and responsible, it will get done properly... even if the guys doing the actual work are clueless. You can show a monkey how to build a brick wall, as long as the architects and engineers are there to make sure they're doing it right.
"HURRY MUSTAFA JUST COVER IT UP BEFORE THE WHITE MAN GETS BACK HERE OR WE WILL HAVE TO DO IT OVER AGAIN!"

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
128 - 02-08-2010, 16:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by starwolf_nexus View Post
Sampoong Department Store Collapse
Seconds from disaster - Department store collapse | Free Educational Videos - Watch Educational Videos Online | Veoh

best thing is that after reviewing other buildings they found similar faults...
Yes lets compare a department store in Sampoong to a $1B+ construction project of the world's tallest building in Dubai.

Maybe you missed the part about me saying that if reputable people are involved it will be okay.

Yankee
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
129 - 02-08-2010, 16:33
Quote:

I've been in the heavy commercial construction business for 21 years. While I agree thats how it should work, I've seen too many cases, particularly in quality control, where logs are faked, shortcuts are taken, and trailer jockeys are too busy ass raping subcontractors to bother actually stepping out onto the jobsite.

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
130 - 02-08-2010, 16:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Pockels View Post
"HURRY MUSTAFA JUST COVER IT UP BEFORE THE WHITE MAN GETS BACK HERE OR WE WILL HAVE TO DO IT OVER AGAIN!"
It doesn't work that way. If an engineer is there to inspect something and its already been covered up, he will have the contractor rip everything down again without hesitation.

Assuming of course that its something of relative importance.

Federere
VeteranXX
Old
131 - 02-08-2010, 16:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee View Post
I've been in the heavy commercial construction business for 21 years. While I agree thats how it should work, I've seen too many cases, particularly in quality control, where logs are faked, shortcuts are taken, and trailer jockeys are too busy ass raping subcontractors to bother actually stepping out onto the jobsite.

This is chruu even in Toronto

Durak
VeteranXV
Old
132 - 02-08-2010, 16:34
Quote:
Originally Posted by telos View Post
The one where if you sign off on a project and something you signed off on fails and kills people you are held responsible.
this never happens!

Ianboo
Veteran4
Old
133 - 02-08-2010, 16:35
All the marketing shots of Dubai make it look like a luxurious and lush green desert oasis. When the reality is this:

It still looks pretty much like that if you go more than 100 feet outside of the tourist areas. Of course a LOT of areas are like that in the world, scratch away the facade and you see the reality. But Dubai seems to be one of the worst offenders. I think the marketing director is a distant cousin to:

DD
VeteranX
Old
134 - 02-08-2010, 16:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGodForMe View Post
No desire to go there. ****ing animals will cut your hand off. Or you'll get kidnapped by terrorists.
bahahahaha

oh man do you just spend all your time in the fetal position in your living room?

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
135 - 02-08-2010, 16:35
Quote:
Then you're working with ****ty companies? I've yet to see an engineer or architect sign off on something that really shouldn't be signed off on.

Im not saying that corners aren't cut, because they most definitely are, in every aspect of construction, but Im saying that when it comes to structural integrity, reputable engineers and architects stand to lose everything if they cut corners.

Artemis Pockels
VeteranX
Old
136 - 02-08-2010, 16:37
Quote:
It doesn't work that way. If an engineer is there to inspect something and its already been covered up, he will have the contractor rip everything down again without hesitation.

Assuming of course that its something of relative importance.
you would be surprised what an engineer will let slide when their list has 500 items on it and the first 375 would require demo to view

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
137 - 02-08-2010, 16:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis Pockels View Post
you would be surprised what an engineer will let slide when their list has 500 items on it and the first 375 would require demo to view
Do tell..

Yankee
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
138 - 02-08-2010, 16:39
Let me guess, you're interning an Construction Management degree at Turner? You seem to be in construction dreamland.

Engineers and Architects are involved well before the steel hits a site. I've rarely, if ever seen a P.E. on a job site. His ass is covered by his design, not an erectors installation. No one signs off on **** anymore, you can't even get "Approved" drawings from an Architect, only "reviewed".

starwolf_nexus
VeteranXV
Old
139 - 02-08-2010, 16:41
Quote:
Let me guess, you're interning an Construction Management degree at Turner? You seem to be in construction dreamland.

Engineers and Architects are involved well before the steel hits a site. I've rarely, if ever seen a P.E. on a job site. His ass is covered by his design, not an erectors installation. No one signs off on **** anymore, you can't even get "Approved" drawings from an Architect, only "reviewed".
maybe he should watch more "Holmes on Homes"

Quote:
About This Show

It's "buyer beware" when a homeowner contracts a home repair or renovation. The world is full of shady contractors who take shortcuts, use shoddy building practices or employ a band-aid approach to repair work, often leaving homeowners in dangerous situations or out a ton of money. Renovation expert Mike Holmes believes in doing a job right the first time and is making it his mission to expose poor, substandard workmanship in the building industry with his internationally successful show Holmes on Homes. In each episode, Mike rescues homeowners from repair and renovation disasters. Uncovering problems from plumbing and electrical to carpentry and roofing, he shows how the botched job should have been completed, fixing each project properly and helping homeowners make more informed decisions in the future.

Artemis Pockels
VeteranX
Old
140 - 02-08-2010, 16:43
Quote:

maybe he still thinks qcqa isnt subbed out nowadays and that companies have legions of engineers to send out to sites

Page 7 of 28

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Dubai][lol]Worlds tallest tower closes

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
dubai enslaves brown ppl , dubai kills , dubai sucks , dune coons , mitch is a retarded fag , sand niggers , tall fuckn building!#@@!