Anybody ever had a 'Nuclear stress test' or.. by JoMo - Page 2 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Anybody ever had a 'Nuclear stress test' or..
Page 2 of 2
james
VeteranX
Old
21 - 07-15-2008, 19:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMo View Post
have parents or grandparents or something that have had one?

My mom is having one done tomorrow and she's a little worried about it. The cardiologist doesn't think there's anything wrong with her heart but since she's going to be 52 in 2 months, he wants her to have it checked just in case because she had what appears to be a gastritis attack that is very much like a heart attack.
Except a heart attack would be able to be verified with a 12 Lead EKG and simple blood work.

No need for a stress test.

Its not a big deal, they have two ways of doing a stress test, either mechanical or chemical.

They'll put her on a 12 lead and have her walk on a treadmill and look for ischemia or they can use a drug (dobutamine, i think), to raise her heart rate and watch for ischemia on the EKG.

Sponsored Links
james
VeteranX
Old
22 - 07-15-2008, 19:41
Quote:
This is going to be an "adenosine" stress test I guess. (she has arthritis)

She talked to people at her work who have had it done and they all basically scared her by telling her that it's going to feel like she's having a heart attack and all this other stuff.
Oh, adenosine rocks. It causes a transient blockade at the AV node, so it effectively shuts down ventricular activity for about 3 to 6 seconds. Its a trip.

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
23 - 07-15-2008, 20:02
Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
Oh, adenosine rocks. It causes a transient blockade at the AV node, so it effectively shuts down ventricular activity for about 3 to 6 seconds. Its a trip.
Um, what's that mean?

internet
VeteranX
Old
24 - 07-15-2008, 20:04
sounds like he's saying it stops your heart for a few seconds

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
25 - 07-15-2008, 20:12
Yeah I know but that's like.... :-\

internet
VeteranX
Old
26 - 07-15-2008, 20:39
you gonna die son

ReCurve
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
27 - 07-15-2008, 20:40
Quote:
Um, what's that mean?
what he means is it feel like your dying for a minute or so. They do the chemical test on old timers and house frows to out of shape to run on the tread mill. The chemical test isn't fun from what I have been told

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
28 - 07-15-2008, 20:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReCurve View Post
what he means is it feel like your dying for a minute or so. They do the chemical test on old timers and house frows to out of shape to run on the tread mill. The chemical test isn't fun from what I have been told
Oh, that sounds ****ty.

I'll skip telling her that.

Musashi
SGT Shred++
Contributor
Old
29 - 07-15-2008, 20:56

Stilgar
VeteranXX
Old
30 - 07-15-2008, 21:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
**** LATIN DOUCHES.
Spreche engrish.

Sarchasm
VeteranX
Old
31 - 07-16-2008, 00:53
It a pretty routine test. The adenosine stresses the heart and the radionucleotide ( that in injected before the test ) is picked up on a scan. If there is an area of the heart that isn't getting proper blood flow ( under stress ) it will be picked up. Its one way of determining if there are any 'blockages' in the arteries supplying the heart. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sarc

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
32 - 07-16-2008, 00:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarchasm View Post
It a pretty routine test. The adenosine stresses the heart and the radionucleotide ( that in injected before the test ) is picked up on a scan. If there is an area of the heart that isn't getting proper blood flow ( under stress ) it will be picked up. Its one way of determining if there are any 'blockages' in the arteries supplying the heart. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sarc
Thanks, but it takes 4 hours? Is she going to be ok to drive home?

DrSupey
Custom title by
Rayn
Old
33 - 07-16-2008, 00:57

I encourage you all to come to the internet for medical advice.

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
34 - 07-16-2008, 00:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSupey View Post

I encourage you all to come to the internet for medical advice.

Do you have anything to contribute Dr. Soupey?

DrSupey
Custom title by
Rayn
Old
35 - 07-16-2008, 01:12
Not really.

The chemical heart studies I've seen use either Dobutamine or Dipyridamole, but Adenosine is marketed for heart stress.

This is for you JoMo (ripped from MIMMS):
Quote:
Adenosine is a potent vasodilator in most vascular beds, except in renal afferent arterioles and hepatic veins where it produces vasoconstriction. Adenosine is thought to exert its pharmacological effects through activation of purine receptors (cell surface A1 and A2-adenosine receptors).

Although the exact mechanism by which adenosine receptor activation relaxes vascular smooth muscle is not known, there is evidence to support both inhibition of the slow inward calcium current reducing calcium uptake and activation of adenylate cyclase through A2-receptors in smooth muscle cells. Adenosine may also lessen vascular tone by modulating sympathetic neurotransmission. The intracellular uptake of adenosine is mediated by a specific transmembrane nucleoside transport system. Once inside the cell, adenosine is rapidly phosphorylated by adenosine kinase to adenosine monophosphate (AMP), or deaminated by adenosine deaminase to inosine. These intracellular metabolites of adenosine are not vasoactive.

Myocardial uptake of thallium-201 is directly proportional to coronary blood flow. Since Adenoscan significantly increases blood flow in normal coronary arteries with little or no increase in stenotic arteries, Adenoscan causes relatively less thallium-201 uptake in vascular territories supplied by stenotic coronary arteries, i.e. a greater difference is seen after Adenoscan between areas served by normal vessels and areas served by stenotic vessels than is seen prior to Adenoscan.
Basically the Adenosine alters how the heart works. It'll make it pump harder, simulating exercise. It shouldn't make your mother feel like she's having a heart attack, it'll make her feel like she's just run up a few flights of stairs. If she normally gets chest pain after that, its possible that she'll feel some angina/chest pain during the scan.

And yes, Adenosine is used to stop the heart for a few seconds (to make it reset itself if you've got a funny rhythm), but the dosing to do that is quite different to what is used to stress the heart for the nuclear medicine scan.

JoMo - the scans are very good - they're pretty sensitive to ischaemic changes so it will let your mother find out what's going on in her heart.

Good luck

Kind regards
DrSupey

PS: If sigs are off: I have a disclaimer in my signature.

Zombie
VeteranXX
Old
36 - 07-16-2008, 01:23
My dad had one a few years ago.

He said it wasn't that bad.
they just inject you with some stuff that makes your heart beat faster.

Stilgar
VeteranXX
Old
37 - 07-16-2008, 01:26
Crank?

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
38 - 07-16-2008, 01:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSupey View Post
Not really.

The chemical heart studies I've seen use either Dobutamine or Dipyridamole, but Adenosine is marketed for heart stress.

This is for you JoMo (ripped from MIMMS):

Basically the Adenosine alters how the heart works. It'll make it pump harder, simulating exercise. It shouldn't make your mother feel like she's having a heart attack, it'll make her feel like she's just run up a few flights of stairs. If she normally gets chest pain after that, its possible that she'll feel some angina/chest pain during the scan.

And yes, Adenosine is used to stop the heart for a few seconds (to make it reset itself if you've got a funny rhythm), but the dosing to do that is quite different to what is used to stress the heart for the nuclear medicine scan.

JoMo - the scans are very good - they're pretty sensitive to ischaemic changes so it will let your mother find out what's going on in her heart.

Good luck

Kind regards
DrSupey

PS: If sigs are off: I have a disclaimer in my signature.

Ok thanks, so it sounds like it shouldn't stop, just be stressed and she'll be tired. I read that Adenosine has a half-life of about 10 seconds anyway so hopefully it won't give her any bad side effects.

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
39 - 07-16-2008, 14:22
Well, she made it home fine, she said it was horrible though and she's never having that done again. She had all the side effects except the headache and hot flash. She said she felt like she was dying and had no energy for probably 30 seconds.

Page 2 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Anybody ever had a 'Nuclear stress test' or..

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
health , jomo is never wrong , jomo is often wrong , jomo is probably wrong