Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Calling all ENGINEERS
Page 2 of 5
Togowack
VeteranXV
Old
21 - 08-14-2014, 18:29
The only boss (the president) with an engineering degree is in Calgary and he's on my side all the time, but I don't think he knows how impossible it is for me to get most things done

Sponsored Links
Togowack
VeteranXV
Old
22 - 08-14-2014, 18:56

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
23 - 08-14-2014, 18:58
dont see the answer do you togo

also youre not really an engineer. at least not more so than a custodial engineer is an engineer.

HelenKeller
Blind BitchXV
Contributor
Old
24 - 08-14-2014, 19:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Togowack View Post
My boss did, and I would have, but I'm not done school yet
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ztir
VeteranXX
Old
25 - 08-14-2014, 19:03
Quote:
what am I to do? argue with this guy who has no schooling or machine shop experience
you could probably go for beers and relate afterwards since youre both in the same boat

SecretSquirrel
VeteranXV
Old
26 - 08-14-2014, 19:09
You have your answer. You have a 30 year old machine tolerance that cannot be reproduced because it used an assembly line quality that doesn't exist anymore and you are trying to do it instead in China.

My cat usually jumps on me and wakes me up. Then the sun comes through the window and hits me in the eyes. Then I just lay there thinking about Mexico's typography. And I finally think of Lake Titykaka. All that titykaka. I repeat this word several times to myself, usually using Jim Carey's voice, and then I am able to get out of bed.

Cik
VeteranXV
Old
27 - 08-14-2014, 19:13
this is a joke.

Togowack
VeteranXV
Old
28 - 08-14-2014, 19:24
Our competitor is able to meet the tolerance, or at least is more consistent

It only has to be done for 6 pieces, once we are past approval if they fit they're fine.

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
29 - 08-14-2014, 19:26
maybe because your competitor doesnt hire bible thumping neanderthals

HumDumpin
ReeeingRainbowXV
Old
30 - 08-14-2014, 19:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaPpY View Post
maybe because your competitor doesnt hire bible thumping neanderthals

Their tragic flaw

Metropolis
VeteranXX
Old
31 - 08-14-2014, 19:27
poor fixturing
poor tooling
bad feeds and speeds
wrong process
cmm not programmed correctly (it makes a huge difference..)

good luck

Togowack
VeteranXV
Old
32 - 08-14-2014, 19:28
sounds like CMM not programmed properly, not a single report from them has made sense, contact the manufacturer I guess.

Rulide
VeteranXX
Old
33 - 08-14-2014, 19:38

GreyGhost
VeteranXX
Old
34 - 08-14-2014, 19:46
shut

up

Togo

DeadlyRabbit
VeteranXV
Old
35 - 08-14-2014, 19:50
You have given no real information, you are spouting off basic technical information but none of it explains anything and it comes off like you are trying to make it sound like your job is important and you are smarter than the people you work for.

You have said they are axle housing that weight 200-300lbs (that is a big difference in weight considering the drawing probably has the weight on it), they have tolerances of .002 and .003 at different spots but later you said the variation is .0001. You mentioned that if you can get 6 good pieces shipped back there is a $500,000 to be made, either that means those 6 are worth $500,000 which sounds more like military equipment, mining trucks or cranes, or the contract is worth $500,000 if you get it which doesn't seem like much money for the effort that seems to go into this. I doubt the housing is worth that much, so your company is probably doing the full axle assembly, or maybe you are confused and it is actually a gearbox.

Is the alignment you mentioned where the variation is or is it a bore that is off, the bore that needs to be within .0001 would most likely be for a bearing which makes sense. You haven't mentioned the material either, is it a cast iron axle housing?

Material makes a big difference in the case of thermal expansion, do you even know that it is thermal expansion? The stresses in the material could cause the diameters to to creep after machining and they could pass tolerance after machining but be out of tolerance by the time they get to your inspection.

You haven't mentioned how the surfaces are machined, are they ground or honed? For a variation of .0001 to mentioned the parts would need to be inspected in a climate controlled room, even the heat from someone touching a piece of metal causes it to expand by more than .0001.

It all comes down to you not even trying to find a solution here because you aren't even given any details, or any of the steps that have already been taken. You are just trying to prove you are an engineer by talking about stuff that it doesn't even seem like you understand.

You are asking in wrong part of the internet, there are forums that if you gave proper information people could give you legitimate feedback but it appears that you lack basic problem solving and communication skills to describe the problem with the required technical information, you spent more time talking about the drama with your company than the problem.

bonepuppet
VeteranXX
Old
36 - 08-14-2014, 19:54
have the final machining done locally. (its the chinese)

Togowack
VeteranXV
Old
37 - 08-14-2014, 20:20
The quantity of the order makes it that much money. We just have to get 6 perfect to this drawing and we get full order quantities. Yes I know about thermal expansion which is why I asked if someone knows about software to help account for it, because of the complexity of the part. Not sure if I should put a picture of it here because it is proprietary.

You're right I should go to CNC zone to discuss although I have friends who will offer better advice instead of waiting around for a random person to reply.

Variations of .0001" are of concern because there are two alignment pins that are .002 and .003 respectively, and then a series of bores sitting between them. This is a single axle tube that transfers the weight of the tractor to the wheels, one side being much larger. The positions of the 2 most internal bores (separated by a core) is also .002" total tolerance zone (and all feature are based on these alignment pins)

Total diameter of this part is 19 inches except a square feature that juts out 4 inches. Depth is about the same.

I am all too aware of thermal expansion, which is why we are ordering instrumentation to watch this. The competitors part isn't to spec either, but they said it's closer. Therefore we couldn't argue to loosen tolerances too much.

So I mean, preparing for the trip and have to assume I will supply all the tools to make 6 parts, and they are using a horizontal mill where they machine the bore using an end mill and the alignment pins and then other tools for clearance bolt holes around the perimeter, then the base turns 180 degrees and the bores are machined on the other side. But the CMM reports (local, not Chinese) indicate the two alignment pins are way off, just about everything else jives.

To me the first step is to make sure the CMM reports are accurate and make sense.

Last edited by Togowack; 08-14-2014 at 20:23..
Togowack
VeteranXV
Old
38 - 08-14-2014, 20:26
The temps may have been different in China, then there's no way to predict how they will end up because the part is shaped like a transmission bell. Like a transmission without the gears and not as long. The alignment pins are in the outside wall of the housing bell where they fit into the mating part.

Last edited by Togowack; 08-14-2014 at 20:28..
Familiar
VeteranXV
Old
39 - 08-14-2014, 20:28
Shouldn't this be called "Calling all TECHNICIANS"?

Togowack
VeteranXV
Old
40 - 08-14-2014, 20:29
Engineers are responsible for this mess, and technicians don't do these kinds of calculations.

Page 2 of 5

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Calling all ENGINEERS

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
ass mode