[Cata] Official Cinematic

I still don't get why Blizzard optioned the rights to do a live-action movie. The level of skill they put into these cinematics would make a fucking amazing feature length film

not as good as WotLK
troll?

WoTLK was the most damn boring cinematic Blizzard has ever done. It was just ice, the Lich King, and a boring dragon. It had no shout-outs to the actual GAME at all like vanilla and TBC had - as does this Cata one. I love the STV tsunami shot.

WoTLK was the most damn boring cinematic Blizzard has ever done. It was just ice, the Lich King, and a boring dragon. It had no shout-outs to the actual GAME at all like vanilla and TBC had - as does this Cata one. I love the STV tsunami shot.

The WotLK trailer covered Arthas as a character so well. The ironic voiceover of King Terenas was just perfectly done. This one fails to make Deathwing interesting at all, though that may fit in well with their themes for these two expansions.

WotLK was about Arthas. That's been said many times. Cataclysm is about redoing the classic world. Showing all the environmental destruction is appropriate I guess. :shrug:

Northrend and Arthas were just much more interesting and the WotLK trailer was perfect for it. I enjoyed it more than any others.

He has armor strapped to his chin. You can't do much with that Fean.

I particularly enjoyed the shot of the wall of water in Thousand Needles.

Coming from a WCIII background, the WotLK intro was better to me. It felt very at home in the Warcraft universe as an intro cinematic and paralleled Thrall seeing Medivh's vision and Illidan calling the Naga from the depths. Even with the expansion itself being lackluster in all but one tier, the cinematic was of amazing quality.

But this one's all right too. I just don't get how Deathwing goes from being within the depths of Grim Batol, to flying over Auberdine, then flying over the Stonewrought Dam before making his way to Stormwind. A few seconds showing him ravaging Darnassus or Teldrassil (as he's flying from the north on his way over Auberdine) would have bridged the gap.

Last edited:
Coming from a WCIII background, the WotLK intro was better to me. It felt very at home in the Warcraft universe as an intro cinematic and paralleled Thrall seeing Medivh's vision and Illidan calling the Naga from the depths. Even with the expansion itself being lackluster in all but one tier, the cinematic was of amazing quality.

But this one's all right too. I just don't get how Deathwing goes from being within the depths of Grim Batol, to flying over Auberdine, then flying over the Stonewrought Dam before making his way to Stormwind. A few seconds showing him ravaging Darnassus or Teldrassil (as he's flying from the north on his way over Auberdine) would have bridged the gap.

He wasn't under Grim Batol.

He burst out of the Maelstrom but flies over Auberdine (odd) then is in Loch Modan then Stormwind. The whole flightpath in the cinematic is odd, really.

It really looks like they are building him in Searing Gorge (I know they aren't lorewise, but it sure looks like it).

So... basically something like this? :

wowcata2.jpg

If you like the storyline and lore, you should play WC1/2. He doesn't come from Grim Batol, he bursts out from Deepholm/Maelstrom.

Yeah, I played those. Just now getting to Deepholm on the beta. Just initially assume it was Grim Batol since that seemed like a good, strong place to work from.

Last edited:
Back