The Economist's poll of economists: Examining the candidates by TseTse - Page 13 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com


Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page The Economist's poll of economists: Examining the candidates
Page 13 of 23
Thread Tools
-§trife-
VeteranXV
Old
241 - 10-05-2008, 17:54
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpy Dooby View Post
Ayn Rand is the most philosophically and politically intelligent person to live within the last century.
Are you comfortable with the idea that Alan Greenspan and Ayn Rand engaged in sexual relations?
 
-§trife- is offline
 
Sponsored Links
triple
VeteranXV
Old
242 - 10-05-2008, 17:54
Reply With Quote
Its fun to go in and see what TseTse "edited" out of his front page version.

He posted the first paragraph.

He omitted:

Quote:
Our survey is not, by any means, a scientific poll of all economists. We e-mailed a questionnaire to 683 research associates, all we could track down, of the National Bureau of Economic Research, America***8217;s premier association of applied academic economists, though the NBER itself played no role in the survey. A total of 142 responded, of whom 46% identified themselves as Democrats, 10% as Republicans and 44% as neither. This skewed party breakdown may reflect academia***8217;s Democratic tilt, or possibly Democrats***8217; greater propensity to respond. Still, even if we exclude respondents with a party identification, Mr Obama retains a strong edge***8212;though the McCain campaign should be buoyed by the fact that 530 economists have signed a statement endorsing his plans.

Does their opinion matter? Economics is just one of the many things the next president will have to worry about; voters still seem to prefer Mr McCain on foreign policy. And even on the economy, economists may not have the same priorities as the population at large. Arguably, what a president says about economics on the campaign trail is less important than how he responds to the unexpected challenges that inevitably arise once he is in office.

Yet economists***8217; opinions should count for something because irrespective of any party affiliation, most of them approach policy decisions with the same basic tool kit. Their assessment of the candidates***8217; economic credentials and plans represents an informed judgment on how well they will handle difficult trade-offs between efficiency, equity, growth and consensus-building.

Regardless of party affiliation, our respondents generally agree the economy is in bad shape, that the election is important to the course of economic policy and that the housing and financial crisis is the most critical economic issue facing America.
He then posted the graph.

He then posted the paragraph after that, but deliberately split up the quote into a 3rd paragraph (It's in his 2nd) and omitted the following: "In fairness, Mr McCain***8217;s lower grade may in part reflect greater candour about his weaknesses. Mr Obama***8217;s more tightly managed image leaves fewer opportunities for such unvarnished introspection."

Then of course there's the rest of the actual article.

I'll give you 3 chances to figure out why he did this.

Fun fact: The respondents to this survey total 142. McCain has, according to the same article, 530 economists that have signed onto his plan.
 
triple is offline
 
Last edited by triple; 10-05-2008 at 17:57..
TseTse
VeteranX
Old
243 - 10-05-2008, 17:56
Reply With Quote
I posted the core results of the survey, Triple... and it's funny watching your squirming with facts you hate...

NOTHING YOU CAN SAY CHANGES THE FACTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple View Post
It doesn't matter who they tried to send it out to -

1) The survey wasn't sent out to random people (granted, this was a poll of nber economists, they didn't have a choice - but it still ****s the data)
2) Participation was optional

Why are you so stupid?

PS: Don't try to use the "the economist is respected and should not be questioned!" line. The economist, like an objective operation should, admits this is bunk data right out the door in the 2nd paragraph. Did you miss that admission?
This isnt about statistics. This is a BASIC SURVEY and nothing more so stop babbling about methodological **** because it's entirely irrelevant. It was sent to 600+ members of this Applied Economics group.





Dear Triple,

If your kitchen was filled with Republican economists who said Obama knows what he's doing better than Mccain...

Do you:
A) kill them

B) burn your house down

C) yell at them and tell them they are ****ing stupid

D) pretend they arent there and feed the cats

E) curl up and cry
 
TseTse is offline
 
Last edited by TseTse; 10-05-2008 at 17:59..
triple
VeteranXV
Old
244 - 10-05-2008, 18:00
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TseTse View Post
This isnt about statistics. This is a BASIC SURVEY and nothing more so stop babbling about methodological **** because it's entirely irrelevant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TseTse
It's unscientific because they had no stratified sampling and thus it was merely an open survey of economists. However, that most certainly is a METHODOLOGY. This is why they differentiated the responses based on party affiliation
apparently tsetse thinks things like "methodology" and "sample size" and "statistics" are all right wing tricks im using to discredit him. In the words of obama, they're a "distraction", am i rite?

He forgets he was the one who called it a poll in the first place.
 
triple is offline
 
Last edited by triple; 10-05-2008 at 18:03..
TseTse
VeteranX
Old
245 - 10-05-2008, 18:02
Reply With Quote
And? Are you confused? Need me to explain?

Heck, want me to go ahead and make your argument better than you can?
 
TseTse is offline
 
Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
246 - 10-05-2008, 18:05
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by -§trife- View Post
Are you comfortable with the idea that Alan Greenspan and Ayn Rand engaged in sexual relations?
They didn't, but I don't give a **** either way.
 
Dumpy Dooby is offline
 
Corossus
VeteranX
Old
247 - 10-05-2008, 18:05
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TseTse View Post

Can you admit yet that you've never even read The Economist?
He's trolling you. He's got three Ph.D students here, one of whom specializes in economic development (accepted at Michigan and Manchester), laughing at him for claiming the Economist is left leaning on economic issues. Maybe if you're an anarchist.

It isn't the strongest polling methodology though, but I guess he's decided he'd rather get a rise out of you than argue his best point.
 
Corossus is offline
 
FngrBANG
VeteranX
Contributor
Old
248 - 10-05-2008, 18:05
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TseTse View Post
Dear Triple,

If your kitchen was filled with Republican economists who said Obama knows what he's doing better than Mccain...

Do you:
A) kill them

B) burn your house down

C) yell at them and tell them they are ****ing stupid

D) pretend they arent there and feed the cats

E) curl up and cry
This is one of them thar improbable hypotheticals, hah?
 
FngrBANG is offline
 
ZOD
VeteranX
Old
249 - 10-05-2008, 18:05
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpy Dooby View Post
The guy makes the argument that individualism is negative for ****'s sake. I don't think there's anything intelligent to be learned from him.
Actually quite the opposite is reflected in his lecture. He believed that "positive" liberty nearly always gave rise to the abuse of power granted to government.
 
ZOD is offline
 
triple
VeteranXV
Old
250 - 10-05-2008, 18:06
Reply With Quote
In your own article, it claims mccain already has 530 economists who have signed a statement in support of his economic policies.

Now, I can send a poll to that group of economists, just an "open survey" of course, and get the same results back in the opposite direction.

Would those be FACTS? Or are you just so confused as to what exactly you're arguing, and so far out of your league, that you can't comprehend why everyone is making fun of you?
 
triple is offline
 
Corossus
VeteranX
Old
251 - 10-05-2008, 18:09
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOD View Post
Actually quite the opposite is reflected in his lecture. He believed that "positive" liberty nearly always gave rise to the abuse of power granted to government.
this.
 
Corossus is offline
 
TseTse
VeteranX
Old
252 - 10-05-2008, 18:10
Reply With Quote
Dear Triple.

The Economist simply sent out a survey to a bunch of "applied" economists. They weren't concerned with the response rates of different affiliations because they weren't trying to do a SCIENTIFIC study or to make broad averages. Right?

That's why they emphasize that point, and make the data available broken down by party affiliation. Nonetheless, regardless of the "statistical relevance" of the total averages... the leanings of both independents and republicans were towards Obama.

I think it's fair to point out that a small number of republicans responded (or said they were republicans rather than independents), but the fact is that they STILL leaned towards Obama.

And however you cut it, 71% of the independents leaned Obama.


You can flame me. You can flame The Economist. You can go back to your "THEY ARE ALL LIBERALS" argument if you must. You can pretend the survey was something it was not, but that's the bottom line. They asked people for opinions and reported it accurately.
 
TseTse is offline
 
TseTse
VeteranX
Old
253 - 10-05-2008, 18:13
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corossus View Post
He's trolling you. He's got three Ph.D students here, one of whom specializes in economic development (accepted at Michigan and Manchester), laughing at him for claiming the Economist is left leaning on economic issues. Maybe if you're an anarchist.

It isn't the strongest polling methodology though, but I guess he's decided he'd rather get a rise out of you than argue his best point.
Right.

It's not attempting to be a real polling methodology, tho. It's a very basic survey. Nothing more.

That's why i emphasized the independent and republican results, rather than any overall averages which would be entirely bull****. Heck, the graph itself indicates the partisan makeup of the respondents so it's not like anybody is hiding that ****.

Democrats, Republicans and Independents all leaned Obama.

It's perfectly valid data... regardless of sample size or the different types of respondents.

The issue is what to make of it.
 
TseTse is offline
 
Corossus
VeteranX
Old
254 - 10-05-2008, 18:14
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpy Dooby View Post
The guy makes the argument that individualism is negative for ****'s sake. I don't think there's anything intelligent to be learned from him.
Are you taking him to use negative in the pejorative sense?
 
Corossus is offline
 
Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
255 - 10-05-2008, 18:14
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOD View Post
Actually quite the opposite is reflected in his lecture. He believed that "positive" liberty nearly always gave rise to the abuse of power granted to government.
What was his conclusion?


Tip: That the government should still legislate "positive" rights, but that the citizens should hold their government's feet to the fire. Still, nothing intelligent to be learned from him.


**** that guy. ****in' socialist.
 
Dumpy Dooby is offline
 
Validuz
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
256 - 10-05-2008, 18:15
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TseTse View Post
And however you cut it, 71% of the independents leaned Obama.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Validuz View Post
71% of people that replied to this survey and claimed that they were Independents (actually, they just said "Neither" Democrat or Republican), within a small particular group of people that are actually listed, by a specific company with specific interests, in a magazine that has special interests, on a poll that isn't scientific in the least (self-admitted), DON'T TRUST MCCAIN!!

*Edit* How am I doing?
 
Validuz is offline
 
Corossus
VeteranX
Old
257 - 10-05-2008, 18:15
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by TseTse View Post
Right.

[I]Democrats, Republicans and Independents all leaned Obama.
I'll be using this factoid for sure in future discussions.
 
Corossus is offline
 
Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
258 - 10-05-2008, 18:16
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corossus View Post
He's trolling you. He's got three Ph.D students here, one of whom specializes in economic development (accepted at Michigan and Manchester), laughing at him for claiming the Economist is left leaning on economic issues. Maybe if you're an anarchist.

It isn't the strongest polling methodology though, but I guess he's decided he'd rather get a rise out of you than argue his best point.
Who are the three PhDs that are laughing at me, and why should it matter to me if their major is in economics?
 
Dumpy Dooby is offline
 
TseTse
VeteranX
Old
259 - 10-05-2008, 18:19
Reply With Quote
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpy Dooby View Post
Who are the three PhDs that are laughing at me, and why should it matter to me if their major is in economics?
The point is you are talking out your ass when you claim The Economist is leftist.

(which is truly silly, esp since you obviously have never read the 150 year old magazine known globally)
 
TseTse is offline
 
triple
VeteranXV
Old
260 - 10-05-2008, 18:20
Reply With Quote
No, see, you're doing it again.

You don't know 71% of independent economists leaned Obama.

71% of self-identified independent NBER economists, who work in academia, out of those who purposefully chose to respond to this survey and mail it back in, 44 out of 62 leaned obama.

The poll doesn't look so rock solid now, does it.
 
triple is offline
 
Page 13 of 23
Reply


Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page The Economist's poll of economists: Examining the candidates

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
ignorant liberal , kill all liberals , more liberal propaganda , musashi owns tsetse , radon006 loves cock , retards making tags , triple owns tsetse , tsetse is a huge faggot , tsetse is a retard magnet , tsetse the windbag , wall of text


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


AGENT: CCBot/2.0 (https://commoncrawl.org/faq/) / Y
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 21:44.