Just when we thought we might get away from the middle east...

You're stupid.

The Eisenhower Doctrine, a 1957 foreign policy of the United States government, was the first to officially use the term Middle East.[9] Secretary of State John Foster Dulles defined the Middle East as "the area lying between and including Libya on the west and Pakistan on the east, Syria and Iraq on the North and the Arabian peninsula to the south, plus the Sudan and Ethiopia."[9] In 1958, the State Department explained that the terms "Near East" and "Middle East" were interchangeable, and defined the region as including only Egypt, Syria, Israel, Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Qatar.[13]"

You're stupider.

Eisenhower's doc may have been 'the first to officially use the term'.. (the first what?), I couldn't be bothered checking that, but it's entirely irrelevant anyway. The phrase has been in use for much longer than that.... and did you miss the bit there where your State Department defined the region to 'including only' a whole lot of countries, none of which were Libya?

Libya is North Africa.

Myself, I think of the Middle East as being from the Suez up through Israel into Syria, across to Iran, maybe Pakistan (though I'd think of that more as South Asia, in with India, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, etc), and south into the Arabian peninsula. It'd incorporate the Sinai peninsula, so technically it includes Egypt, but I certainly wouldn't include Libya.

Nor, according to your own quote, would the State Department.

Last edited:
You're stupid.

Libya is in Africa. Egypt is in Africa. Sudan is in Africa.

They're all considered "middle east".

The Sahara is in Libya and Egypt.

The Sahara is in the middle east.

Shut up now.
"Here's Reeeeeeeeeeey!" /ed mcmahon

Right on que.
In the words of Fred G. Sanford and the 'G' stands for greasy, "You big dummy."
Redd_Foxx1-753176.jpg

Guess who is the regional maker of all the solar shit...that's right, THE JEWS.

yeah but as soon as they get it online and the output is less than projected, they will whine about how the sun is anti-semetic and has been trying to hold them down

From the very first line on Wikipedia

The Middle East (from a colonial European perspective)[1] is a region that encompasses Western Asia and North Africa.

The Middle East (from a colonial European perspective)[1] is a region that encompasses Western Asia and North Africa.

664px-Middle_east_graphic_2003.jpg

The Sahara is in Libya and Egypt.

Libya and Egypt are in North Africa.

That section of North Africa is considered the "middle east".

The section referred to by the G8 as the "greater middle east":

300px-Greater_Middle_East_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

Shut.

The.

Fuck.

Up.

Last edited:
Somehow I don't see worthless Algeria nailing a contract for a multibillion dollar solar panel system.

Somehow I see Libya and Egypt getting that instead.

I commend you for finding a definition of the middle east that allows you to say you weren't totally wrong on a technicality.

That doesn't change the fact that you thought the Sahara Desert extended into the Arabian Peninsula, or even worse, that you thought the Arabian Peninsula was the Sahara Desert. AKA you would fail 4th grade geography.

From the very first line on [strike]Wikipedia[/strike]
Wikipedia

North Africa or Northern Africa is the northernmost region of the African continent, linked by the Sahara to Sub-Saharan Africa. Geopolitically, the United Nations definition of Northern Africa includes seven countries or territories; Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Morocco, Sudan, Tunisia, and Western Sahara[1] Algeria, Morocco, Tunisia, Mauritania, and Libya together are also referred to as the Maghreb or Maghrib, while Egypt is a transcontinental country by virtue of the Sinai Peninsula, which is in Asia.

664px-Middle_east_graphic_2003.jpg

(Gee, there sure is a whole lot of the Sahara desert on that picture.)

The Sahara is in Libya, Egypt, and Sudan.

Libya, Egypt, and Sudan are in North Africa.

That section of North Africa is considered the "middle east".

Only by you, Mr Schmo.

The section referred to by the G8 as the "greater middle east":

300px-Greater_Middle_East_%28orthographic_projection%29.svg.png

since you seem to like bold and big writing to make a point:

Greater middle east.

Meaning "middle east plus some other stuff".

Shut.

The.

Fuck.

Up.

Indeed, you really should.

The term "middle east" sprang from colonial European world views.. North Africa had long been established as its own region, right back from ancient Greek and Roman times. The Far East referred basically to China and Japan, though South-East Asia got lumped into that, too. India was its own domain (which at the time included Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka/'Ceylon'). The "Middle" east then, was essentially referring to the closer Asian regions.. So from the 'India' of that time (which as I said, included Pakistan) back through the rest of Asia - ie up to the eastern edge of the Med and the Sinai peninsula. Not North Africa and most certainly not the Sahara.

Last edited:
I commend you for finding a definition of the middle east that allows you to say you weren't totally wrong on a technicality.

That doesn't change the fact that you thought the Sahara Desert extended into the Arabian Peninsula, or even worse, that you thought the Arabian Peninsula was the Sahara Desert. AKA you would fail 4th grade geography.

Newsflash: you're an idiot

next taxi will write post an article about korean unification, and make an exasperated comment about vietnam never ending

Last edited:
Only by you, Mr Schmo.

since you seem to like bold and big writing to make a point:

Greater middle east.

Meaning "middle east plus some other stuff".

Indeed, you really should.

The term "middle east" sprang from colonial European world views.. North Africa had long been established as its own region, right back from ancient Greek and Roman times. The Far East referred basically to China and Japan, though South-East Asia got lumped into that, too. India was its own domain (which at the time included Pakistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka/'Ceylon'). The "Middle" east then, was essentially referring to the closer Asian regions.. So from the 'India' of that time (which as I said, included Pakistan) back through the rest of Asia - ie up to the eastern edge of the Med and the Sinai peninsula. Not North Africa and most certainly not the Sahara.

Dear Stupid,

Egypt and Libya have LONG been considered part of the middle east, which is who I was referring to in the title anyway.

And that wasn't even so much of my point of the title to begin with... the actual point was A) remove oil from the middle east, what are you left with? Answer is B) a whole fucking bunch of desert, where they can throw out almost endless miles of solar panels, and probably will.

taxi did you know that the sahara is in africa or did you assume saudi arabia or something

Libya and Egypt are only affiliated with the Middle East in that they share a religion.

Trying to convince us that Libya and Egypt are countries that contain the Sahara while affiliating them with the Middle East because of a fucked up definition is retarded.

Back