You didn't build that, someone else did. Saddle stool edition by samUwell - Page 3 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page You didn't build that, someone else did. Saddle stool edition
Page 3 of 3
Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
41 - 07-06-2022, 01:31
I just picked up two 76x10x2 (actual) rough sawn oak chonks. They may end up replacing the (ugly but functional) wire shelves above my desk. How should I finish them Sam?

Sponsored Links
lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
42 - 07-06-2022, 01:36
I doubt the trailer walls will sustain that much mass.

Validuz
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
43 - 07-06-2022, 01:44
Quote:
Originally Posted by samUwell View Post
First, I want to say I massively respect (and understand) the work that went into making these, plus you made a great thread, but I'm not a fan of the stools themselves at all. They absolutely don't fit with that kitchen. I'd sell or give them away and learn from your mistakes. Woodworking takes a lot of ****ing stuff up to get things right.

I wouldn't burn those stools, but...
  • Too many gaps on the joints
  • Too many incorrect angles
  • They're also made up of too many colors that don't work with your kitchen. Zebra, Maple, Walnut, Padauk, Cherry, Oak... I don't even know all of the types you used. It's a bit crazy looking. Two would've been great. Three can work if done right.
  • They're wide-seats but too thin in the middle with sharp edges on the left/right.
  • Chamfer or round-over the edge more than softening the edge, especially on the end-grain.
  • Don't underestimate wood glue. Those figure-8 anchor things you're using are pointless. Glue the top down, use pocket 4 pocket screws underneath into the wide sides, or simply just use tiny angle brackets. Routing for those things is not worth it. So many easy, better methods that are nearly completely hidden.
  • Dowels are pointless unless you're going for the looks but then why multiple dowel colors so randomly?

Kitchen:
  • I hate quarter-round trim, but that's just me. I understand why people use it, but I won't.
  • Color palette is a bit off between the floor, wall paint, and backsplash tiles. Obviously you can't remove the tiles reasonably, but I'd probably repaint or something. Maybe it's just the angle or camera though.
  • Also, that looks like vinyl plank flooring. If so, that's a huge mistake in a kitchen or anywhere else where water can be. It's absolute trash if you get water on it. The water will get in between the seems and then just stay stuck underneath and create mold. Snap-together vinyl planks are ****ing awful unless you know and accept the egregious downsides they have. They also can't be in direct sunlight, scratch somewhat easily, etc.
  • Those corbels look terrible in the nice, modern kitchen.

These are better:

I know you didn't ask for any critiquing and the thread is great, but it's just some feedback.

p.s. Whenever you're making something new out of wood, use **** wood to make a mock version so you can avoid making those mistakes on expensive hardwood on your final product. It's so ****ing easy to make simple backwards angle mistakes or 1/32nd too short, etc.

p.p.s. You commented about how much pressure to wood glue wood together: As much as you reasonably can without damaging the wood or wasting a ton of time. Most of the time, you need to clamp in both directions, not just face-to-face pressure, but lateral as well to stop them from sliding on each other.

Last edited by Validuz; 07-06-2022 at 01:47..
Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
44 - 07-06-2022, 01:49
When I said burn, I meant char the wood to color it. Not actually burn them. They are pretty, but as val said they don't fit.

Validuz
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
45 - 07-06-2022, 01:57
I even didn't notice you said burn, but I was almost* already there. If he didn't put so many dowels in em, I'd strip the things down to bare wood again and use it for other ****. Unfortunately, all of those holes, glue (not as difficult), weird angles, routing, kind of makes them difficult to fix or repurpose.

Last edited by Validuz; 07-06-2022 at 02:37..
ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
46 - 07-06-2022, 06:54
Sell them on Etsy

also, I never picked Val as a kitchen design enthusiast, but there you go, this place never ceases to amaze

Edofnor
VeteranXX
Old
47 - 07-06-2022, 09:17
bruh, we've known val is a ****** for like 20 years now

wat's amazing is he wrote all those words w/o deploying a single "retard"

clu
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
48 - 07-06-2022, 10:39
ya they look great. make another and sell it on DWR

Tic
VeteranXX
Old
49 - 07-06-2022, 10:49
There is clearly room for a 4th stool there.

Get back to work, you ****ing slacker!

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
50 - 07-06-2022, 11:16
I get the sense that we just saw the true Val for the first time ever.

It seemed to be the first truly happy post he has ever made, no yelling or anger or calling ppl retards. It showed another more caring side of Val.

He must really love his kitchens.

Validuz
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
51 - 07-06-2022, 13:15
Well, for starters, Sam is smart. It's not like is a Midget thread. He put a lot of effort into the thread and stools themselves.

No reason to be mean.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
52 - 07-07-2022, 08:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Validuz View Post
Well, for starters, Sam is smart. It's not like is a Midget thread. He put a lot of effort into the thread and stools themselves.

No reason to be mean.
smurf check please

Val must have new meds

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
53 - 07-07-2022, 09:58
Val, thank you for the criticism of the stools. I am always looking for constructive criticism in all things I do as that is a great learning tool. While the stools are... loud, they would make sense if you knew me. I'm loud and crazy; I like loud and crazy and shy away from anything... normal or trendy.

Because there were so many colors involved, I wanted to dowels to stand out in the wood and bring out some contrast on the pieces; to give the stools a more mechanical look/feel. I like the old nail fastener heads in wood components made a few hundred years ago and was hoping for the contrast of the dowels would/could mimic that look.

Like I said, there were a lot of mistakes I made, and I am keeping the stools for a bit, so I learn to live with my mistakes. I am a fricken perfectionist and it sucks... bad. And in all my years of trying to do everything perfectly, I've discovered that the only thing I am perfect at doing is not being perfect. And in the coming weeks, I plan to remake the legs and the various joint cuts so I can perfect this as this was more advanced than I thought. I will be remaking the stools at some point and have a toned-down version I will be experimenting with and most likely use.

When I was ready to burn the things to the ground, I was talking to my dad and said, "I probably should've started with a box and then moved onto something more advanced."

As I said, I have never built a piece of furniture before so most of what I did was an experiment. And building the stools the way I did, I now have a good idea of how to work with several different pieces of wood. And let me just say, there are noticeable differences between all those pieces. This is going to help when I design and build furniture in my home, which I plan on doing, and replace a lot of my store-bought pieces.

About the kitchen: I did not design the kitchen; it was like this when I bought the home. The previous owners had a professional design it. One of the first things I did when I moved in was started to price out different countertops as I am not a fan of white. The color scheme is rather... feminine, and I would prefer a darker countertop and to incorporate stone and dark wood throughout the kitchen. This is not a high priority for me now, but it is something on my list. The layout of the kitchen is prime and if you know anything about kitchen remodeling, relaying out the kitchen is a huge expense. Moving the gas, electrical and plumbing is stupid, but I love the layout and can work with it.

The replacement island corbels I've had in my etsy favorites for many months but never jumped on them. I want to bring some of the stainless steel out, so my searches and choices have been limited.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
54 - 07-07-2022, 10:01
**** dude, take a picture of those corbels to a local stainless fabricator and they will whip some up for 1/2 the price

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
55 - 07-07-2022, 11:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
**** dude, take a picture of those corbels to a local stainless fabricator and they will whip some up for 1/2 the price
That's exactly what I plan on doing. My metal fabricator shop is about 3 miles from me, and I would prefer to have them build them as I know their work.

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
56 - 07-07-2022, 13:35
Yeah, those are sexy. Run a stainless bolt instead of this garbage.

Akela
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
57 - 07-08-2022, 02:28
If anything, I'd change the floor from wood to tiles. The stools are nice IMHO. Their warm colors contrast a lot to the cool colors of the kitchen as a whole, but you could balance that with a striped rug that matches the stools.

Page 3 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page You didn't build that, someone else did. Saddle stool edition

Social Website Bullshit