[Official] Staff Q & A

jin kazama said:
Will you consider changing the ignored poster system or making an option, where posters who are on your ignore list can't be seen when they post. I don't like knowing people I want to ignore are still posting.

Fucking :signed: and seconded. I can't believe I forgot about that.

if you were going to do a best of threads forum, you would have to implement some kind of ranking system for each thread, where a user could give it a rank and based on the number of people and the rank it would get placed in said forum. It wouldn't be that difficult to do I don't think.

Rayn said:
Depends, how are threads selected for this forum?

I hate to point to what could be considered a competitor, but SA and other forums like it have rating systems that publicly display the popularity of a thread over time, and if it is good, it goes into a "best of" archive. The code already exists.

jin kazama said:
Will you consider changing the ignored poster system or making an option, where posters who are on your ignore list can't be seen when they post. I don't like knowing people I want to ignore are still posting.

I am currently working on this project.

Thread rating is a good idea, imo, as long as members aren't allowed to vote (can't make new accounts to vote your own thread high etc)

Mael said:
could we ever have a ban poll again? To ban those people who hover right near the line, but never cross it, yet still piss the hell out of everyone?

I too would love to know the answer to this question.

LogRoller said:
I hate to point to what could be considered a competitor, but SA and other forums like it have rating systems that publicly display the popularity of a thread over time, and if it is good, it goes into a "best of" archive. The code already exists.

I first considered this idea during the Best Thread of 2004 voting.

You are right, Loggy, I will investigate the rating system as a way of selecting threads. I just really would not like to see the thread overpopulated, so I will first have to ensure that it takes adequate positive voting to elect said threads. Suggestions on this are welcome.

Additionally, I'd like to start a subforum with links to all of the TWIP photoshop threads.

(I envision both forums as being link posts to the existing posts in GD, so we don't have multiples flying around.)

rating threads suck...personally i think page views is the best barometer of quality, if people like it they will go back. Where as only some people will ever rate a thread.

i like the rating idea, but i'd also suggest getting a few of the old school tw'ers brain-storming for old threads, just to get it all going

triple said:
07:19:22 <@[Inq]Yogi> I made a WAP version of TW I can read from my cell phone
07:19:23 <@[Inq]Yogi> http://staff.tribalwar.com/yogi/wap.php
07:19:23 <@[Inq]Yogi> :D

Nothing against Yogi but that does absolutly nothing for me. I want a WAP version of the forums. Why would i want to check the news on the site everyday from my phone? WiForums makes some software to have make a WAP version of the Forums. That would be great.

CosmicBlend said:
Nothing against Yogi but that does absolutly nothing for me. I want a WAP version of the forums. Why would i want to check the news on the site everyday from my phone? WiForums makes some software to have make a WAP version of the Forums. That would be great.

At this time I have no plans to invest in a WAP version of the forums based on demand and system resources.

Mael said:
could we ever have a ban poll again? To ban those people who hover right near the line, but never cross it, yet still piss the hell out of everyone?

No. There's an ignore function in which is being improved as we speak, and I don't believe bans should be based on popularity among a vocal minority or e-clique bandwagon.

Clamsoda said:
is there a reason you call yourself admins instead of "sysop" (pronounce SIGH-SOP)?
Sighstem operator?

Is sigbot going to come back? I'm sick of seeing these idiots with 300kb sigs. It makes me wants to hurts them.

Last edited:
Ixiterra said:
Sighstem operator?

Is sigbot going to come back? I'm sick of seeing these idiots with 300kb sigs. It makes me wants to hurts them.

Yes, it is, its just a matter of me troubleshooting the script this week. Additionally, there has been a decision by the staff to start nixing sigs that are pushing the envelope. If you find your sig gone, you were not work safe.

Back