38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus" by Evil Engineer - Page 3 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page 38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus"
Page 3 of 22
Witch
VeteranXV
Old
41 - 08-30-2008, 07:57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
You know I never thought of that. Wouldn't it be cool to be a multi-millionaire like a professional sports star (or whatever) and create your own gaming company. You could have them make any game you wanted and however you wanted it. It wouldn't have to be "marketable" or anything so as long as you paid your employees they wouldn't give a **** and would do whatever you asked. Tribes 4 mother****ers (and a GOOD Deus Ex sequel, and a followup to Anachronox while I'm dreaming).

****ing games suck these days.
AND new Baldur's Gate instead of NWN crap. Well, NWN2 was "ok"

Sponsored Links
Apeman
VeteranX
Old
42 - 08-30-2008, 12:04
**** you retard reggs. troll or not, you can't say **** on Todd McFarlane.

Vir
VeteranXV
Old
43 - 08-30-2008, 12:06
curt was an EQ fan he knows greatness!

borlaK
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
44 - 08-30-2008, 12:10
a pitcher

LouCypher
VeteranX
Old
45 - 08-30-2008, 12:19
I remember back in the old days it only took one studio to make an MMO.

TseTse
VeteranX
Old
46 - 08-30-2008, 12:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DacTheHork View Post
yeah

A huge fan of mmos starting up a company to make one ..

First thing he does is hire a lot of concept people and writers... I really don't think it will go well. Sounds like it will have a ridiculously complex concept and never come to reality.
That's exactly how it SHOULD start.

That's exactly how most big game/movie projects start.

These games are multimillion dollar art production projects on par with huge hollywood studio movies. Getting the concepts right (both aesthetic and design) are critical at the first stage.

My problem with this is that it's yet another ****ing FANTASY mmo. That genre is stale.

(unless they are aiming for consoles somehow)

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
47 - 08-30-2008, 12:37
Concept art looks fine. I wouldn't be surprised if the actual game looked nothing like concept art though (happens all the time).

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
48 - 08-30-2008, 13:16
Board Member:

Quote:
In 1993, Doug founded a new company, VideoGuide, to design interactive program guides. In 1996, VideoGuide was merged into Gemstar; in 2000 Gemstar acquired TV Guide. Doug became President of TV Guide Consumer Electronics with offices in Boston, Los Angeles, London, Luxemburg, Hong Kong, and Tokyo.

After retiring in 2005, Doug finally had time to see the world with his wonderful wife, Julie. He also became an avid World of Warcraft player, spending many hours of quality time with his sons, Drew (19) and Ross (17). Desiring to get back into the videogame world
ROFL

Another quote from a team profile

Quote:
From his beta testing of Meridian 59, sometimes credited as the world***8217;s first graphical MMO, to today***8217;s current and future MMO titles, Brandon continues to explore all aspects of the gaming world.
Seriously this project will fail so ****ing hard it isn't funny. **** the company is named after the guys baseball uniform number... Two years ago he posted how they played warhammer table top at work. It's basically him throwing money away and eager beavers taking it willingly.

sorry but tsetse I think you fail to realize how technical a project like this is. Even the very experienced people at mythic are overloaded with bugs and weird technical ****. Complete noobs with no great technical people are going to flop so hard trying to make a "world domination through gaming" mmo.

Last edited by DacTheHork; 08-30-2008 at 13:19..
Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
49 - 08-30-2008, 17:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by TseTse View Post
That's exactly how it SHOULD start.

That's exactly how most big game/movie projects start.

These games are multimillion dollar art production projects on par with huge hollywood studio movies. Getting the concepts right (both aesthetic and design) are critical at the first stage.

My problem with this is that it's yet another ****ing FANTASY mmo. That genre is stale.

(unless they are aiming for consoles somehow)
Games don't always start like that, and they shouldn't. Art design should be ongoing throughout the whole project, or added just before it hit's alpha.

Fantasy is no where near stale as a genre, but I'm sure McFarlane will make it stale since that's all he's capable of.

gehrig38
Veteran4
Old
50 - 09-01-2008, 16:53
Quote:
Board Member:

ROFL

Another quote from a team profile
He's a board member, not a designer, and he's a board member because he was smart enough to be good at what he did and 'retire' at about age 35. Oh, he invented Mrs Pac Man too.

Quote:
Seriously this project will fail so ****ing hard it isn't funny. **** the company is named after the guys baseball uniform number...
Ya, about as stupid as naming your company after a snowstorm. Like that's even relevant to this whole thing anyway? I love people like you. 2-2.5 years from now it's always nice to look back and wonder about the stable of people thinking, no wishing, you'd fail miserably.

It's always easier to root against people because so many people are in the 'misery loves company' camp. If they can't succeed and be great at something, no one else should either.

Quote:
Two years ago he posted how they played warhammer table top at work. It's basically him throwing money away and eager beavers taking it willingly.
Really? Where was that post? Can you reference that for me? What I stated was I was a HUGE GW fan and that at lunch we had some awesome WH tabletop battles. Not sure how that came to be what you state above.

Oh and ya, 60 some odd people picked up their families, many leaving jobs with salaries in the six figures, just so I 'could throw money at them". Please.
Took me 1-2 lines in to your post to realize that while you may be labeled a 'veteran' poster, you don't know **** about making games or the people that do it. But you won't hesitate to blabber on and try to piss on peoples parades, because that's what makes people like you feel good.

Quote:
sorry but tsetse I think you fail to realize how technical a project like this is. Even the very experienced people at mythic are overloaded with bugs and weird technical ****. Complete noobs with no great technical people are going to flop so hard trying to make a "world domination through gaming" mmo.
And you do? What is your background and expertise to make these observations? Or is 'how technical a project like this is" as deep as you can get? The guys at mythic aren't 'overoaded', their dealing with exactly what Mark expected when you make a behemoth like that, and their dealing with it just fine.

Complete noobs? Did you read anything on the site beyond Doug's profile? If you did then you are dumber than your post makes you appear. There isn't a noob on the development team. In fact there's about 75% of the team that has been part of a prior MMO that's been published, with many actually working together on a project.

Actually, if you look at them, the dev team for this IP is as accomplished and published as any team has ever been at this stage of their companies life, and even though it's going to sound biased, imo they are more talented than any group I've seen.

Time will tell, proof will be in the pudding, all that jazz applies here, but I'm comfortable in saying you made this post with zero experience in publishing a computer game of any kind, and after reading 1-2 bios in a company of 60+ people.

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
51 - 09-01-2008, 17:00
holy ****

I just got owned but LOL you read TW?

I feel like the guy in jay and silent bob who got punched in the face. btw I will apoligize for being so harsh, I didn't expect you to ever read this lol. I troll a lot on this forums and just like arguing. I do think like any startup you still have to prove yourselves and it is a very tough business but holy **** I can't believe you responded.

Okay to back up my statements though, it is a gut feeling I have. I don't have great experience but having watched a ****load of projects and games since meridian 59 it just is my gut reaction. Obviously actually showing screenshots or some other things would change my mind but 5 concept art pictures really aren't impactful.

Last edited by DacTheHork; 09-01-2008 at 17:13..
-=TTC=-Serpreme
VeteranXV
Old
52 - 09-01-2008, 17:01
Quote:
Originally Posted by gehrig38 View Post
He's a board member, not a designer, and he's a board member because he was smart enough to be good at what he did and 'retire' at about age 35. Oh, he invented Mrs Pac Man too.

Ya, about as stupid as naming your company after a snowstorm. Like that's even relevant to this whole thing anyway? I love people like you. 2-2.5 years from now it's always nice to look back and wonder about the stable of people thinking, no wishing, you'd fail miserably.

It's always easier to root against people because so many people are in the 'misery loves company' camp. If they can't succeed and be great at something, no one else should either.

Really? Where was that post? Can you reference that for me? What I stated was I was a HUGE GW fan and that at lunch we had some awesome WH tabletop battles. Not sure how that came to be what you state above.

Oh and ya, 60 some odd people picked up their families, many leaving jobs with salaries in the six figures, just so I 'could throw money at them". Please.
Took me 1-2 lines in to your post to realize that while you may be labeled a 'veteran' poster, you don't know **** about making games or the people that do it. But you won't hesitate to blabber on and try to piss on peoples parades, because that's what makes people like you feel good.

And you do? What is your background and expertise to make these observations? Or is 'how technical a project like this is" as deep as you can get? The guys at mythic aren't 'overoaded', their dealing with exactly what Mark expected when you make a behemoth like that, and their dealing with it just fine.

Complete noobs? Did you read anything on the site beyond Doug's profile? If you did then you are dumber than your post makes you appear. There isn't a noob on the development team. In fact there's about 75% of the team that has been part of a prior MMO that's been published, with many actually working together on a project.

Actually, if you look at them, the dev team for this IP is as accomplished and published as any team has ever been at this stage of their companies life, and even though it's going to sound biased, imo they are more talented than any group I've seen.

Time will tell, proof will be in the pudding, all that jazz applies here, but I'm comfortable in saying you made this post with zero experience in publishing a computer game of any kind, and after reading 1-2 bios in a company of 60+ people.
overoaded lol stfu meber

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
53 - 09-01-2008, 17:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=TTC=-Serpreme View Post
overoaded lol stfu meber
You do realize who that is right?

DocHolliday
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
54 - 09-01-2008, 17:09
Haha you got owned hard.

Like I said, keep an open mind. You never know when someone or something will come out and surprise ya.

Senty
VeteranXX
Old
55 - 09-01-2008, 17:13
Concept art still looks too bright clean and happy like WoW.

FalseMyrmidon
1700+
Old
56 - 09-01-2008, 17:13
That's what you get for calling a game **** from 2 early concept art pictures dumbass.

Btw I think I'll just get it over with and saw it looks just like wow, why can't you guys be original.

DacTheHork
Veteran++
Old
57 - 09-01-2008, 17:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Haha you got owned hard.

Like I said, keep an open mind. You never know when someone or something will come out and surprise ya.
hahahhha

dude I was laughing my ass off when I read it. I still actually have huge doubts about the company from what I have seen. Make me a beta tester though I have huge experience :P

linkx2251
Veteran++
Old
58 - 09-01-2008, 17:15
wow.

did NOT see that coming, but was amused.

dionysus
VeteranX
Old
59 - 09-01-2008, 17:15
holy ****, is that who I think we think it is.

DocHolliday
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
60 - 09-01-2008, 17:17
Well if it is him thats cool. He is a human being after all and they need some time to unwind. Playing games while on the road is a good way to do it.

Oh, and judging by his response he would fit in with TW quite well.

Page 3 of 22

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar History > TWHOF
Reload this Page 38 studios MMO in development "Copernicus"

Social Website Bullshit