Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page TW Car Stereo Gurus
Page 1 of 5
JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
1 - 05-10-2021, 20:11
I want to put a new double din stereo in my truck. Also 4 6" door speakers. I checked a couple local places, they all seem to push Sony, but I'm not a huge fan of Sony.

Anyone have any suggestions for something better? I'd like the 'normal' stuff, bluetooth, gps, android auto and backup camera

Sponsored Links
lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
2 - 05-10-2021, 20:34
Crutchfield has good prices and support. I would look at Kenwood first but that's personal preference. Subthump makes killer custom sub boxes if you're going to do it right. What's the budget and year, make, model?

Mr Jimmy Pop
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
3 - 05-10-2021, 21:06
I think it***8217;s a caddy

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
4 - 05-10-2021, 21:13
Are you looking for something with an amp built in or are you going to add some amplification?

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
5 - 05-10-2021, 21:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemontw View Post
Crutchfield has good prices and support. I would look at Kenwood first but that's personal preference. Subthump makes killer custom sub boxes if you're going to do it right. What's the budget and year, make, model?
2012 silverado. Budget is somewhat flexible, but im not going full stupid on it. I don't particularly need a sub box, i still have a kid that probably would like to hear when he gets older.

I like kenwood and JVC so far

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
6 - 05-10-2021, 21:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasstax View Post
Are you looking for something with an amp built in or are you going to add some amplification?
I wouldn't mind a small add-on amp

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
7 - 05-10-2021, 21:54
Kicker makes a little Hideaway 10 inch sub with 180 watts that's easy to fit in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KqBJJkFK9M

Also, I like Alpine, Kenwood, the regular old stuff. The knock off no name **** is dicey.
You can always go listen to some systems at a local store or a best buy.
If you don't want to hassle with self-install and you happen to have a good car audio place - it's worth it for tricky wiring.

And the other thing, depending on where you live, a nice head unit is like a sign saying "Steal Me!"

So, choosing a model that's well know for anti theft measures can help with that. Detachable plates etc.

Adding a bit of bass can make even ****ty systems sound 100 times better. That's often what's missing.

Last edited by Brasstax; 05-10-2021 at 22:13..
MaxxCarnage
VeteranXX
Old
8 - 05-10-2021, 22:17
Sonic Electronix has the best customer support in the industry IMO. And better prices at last tally than Crutchfield. I prefer Pioneer, they have the best EQ's and their speakers are solid for the money. I rock Sony extensively in my home but their car audio is ****. Pioneer is solid middle of the road stuff.

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
9 - 05-10-2021, 22:30
Quote:
Kicker makes a little Hideaway 10 inch sub with 180 watts that's easy to fit in.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KqBJJkFK9M

Also, I like Alpine, Kenwood, the regular old stuff. The knock off no name **** is dicey.
You can always go listen to some systems at a local store or a best buy.
If you don't want to hassle with self-install and you happen to have a good car audio place - it's worth it for tricky wiring.

And the other thing, depending on where you live, a nice head unit is like a sign saying "Steal Me!"

So, choosing a model that's well know for anti theft measures can help with that. Detachable plates etc.

Adding a bit of bass can make even ****ty systems sound 100 times better. That's often what's missing.
This is a pretty quiet area, plus i have an alarm and had the windows heavily tinted today.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
10 - 05-10-2021, 22:34
It's tiny and it has a remote control. That way you can stealth in to the neighborhood

It's not like that little 10 is going to wake the dead.

Oh wait - you are talking about the theft deterrent

You can always add the kicker and see how your system sounds with it.

Otherwise, there are so many great choices in head units. I installed a full blown android device in my old BRZ and it was awesome compared to some stupid ****ing car system with nannies. Nice screen. Regular apps. Good times.

Last edited by Brasstax; 05-10-2021 at 22:38..
JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
11 - 05-10-2021, 23:14
Jensen CAR710W Digital multimedia receiver (does not play discs) at Crutchfield

How about this?

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
12 - 05-11-2021, 00:06
Upgrading the Stereo System in Your 2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado or GMC Sierra Regular Cab

Quote:
2007-2013 Chevrolet Silverado and GMC Sierra regular cab pickup
Upgrading the stereo system in your Silverado or Sierra
2007 ***8226; 2008 ***8226; 2009 ***8226; 2010 ***8226; 2011 ***8226; 2012 ***8226; 2013

Jon Paul

by Crutchfield's
Jon Paul
Read bio

6 comments
gmc sierra
In brief: This Crutchfield Research Garage article gives you an overview of your truck's stock stereo system and your aftermarket upgrade options. Use our vehicle selector to find the gear that will fit your Silverado or Sierra.

Overview of the Silverado and Sierra
The best part of driving a regular cab pickup is that when you and three friends need to go someplace, you probably won't be the one driving. The worst part is that when one of those friends has to move something somewhere, you'll definitely be getting a phone call. Then again, that might eventually lead to free pizza, so maybe it's not that bad when you think about it....

The Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra regular cab trucks were typically more utilitarian than luxurious, but they were available with some decent (for the time) stock stereos. That said, at this point in your truck's life, the stock stuff is probably getting a bit tired. If your truck has a lot of life left in it, replacing the old gear is probably a good idea. Your friends will appreciate your new sound system while your'e heading across town with their new furniture.

gmc sierra radio
The dashes differ, but radio replacement is still pretty simple in these trucks (Crutchfield Research Photo)

Factory stereo system
Regular Cab (and Extended Cab) Silverados and Sierras were available with two different dash configurations. The lower trim level trucks have a "Type A" dash, while the mid- to upper-level trucks have a "Type B" dash.

Both configurations use the same mounting kit, which, along with an antenna adapter, is included at a deep discount with most Crutchfield stereo purchases. You'll also get our exclusive Crutchfield MasterSheet, which contains the illustrated, step-by-step instructions you'll need to remove the stock audio gear.

gmc sierra radio replacement
It's a big space, but not every double-DIN (4" tall) receiver will fit here (Crutchfield Research Photo)

Replacing your factory radio
A variety of single-DIN (2" tall) and double-DIN (4" tall) receivers will fit in these pickups, but there are some irregularities in the dash substructure that prevent certain double-DIN radios from fitting properly. It***8217;s best to pick a double-DIN radio with wire harnesses or RCA connectors located on the bottom half of the back of the radio, but you can also go with a number of CD receivers or digital media receivers with a depth of less than 6-1/2". A receiver with a fold-down face will not work in this truck, though, so avoid those.

To get started, enter your truck's information on our Outfit My Car page, find the receiver you want, and add it to your cart. We'll show you which mounting kit you need, and you'll receive a big discount when you purchase everything together at Crutchfield. If you have any questions, especially when you're looking for the right double-DIN receiver, one of our Crutchfield Advisors will be happy to help you make the right choice.

Detailed stereo and speaker removal instructions
MasterSheet image
With step-by-step disassembly instructions and plenty of up-close, detailed photos, our exclusive Crutchfield MasterSheet***8482; takes the guesswork out of removing the factory stereo and speakers. It's free with your Crutchfield order, or you can purchase one separately for just $9.99.
You***8217;ll also need to purchase an adapter that allows you to install a new stereo and still retain your warning chimes (along with OnStar functionality if you have it), plus a relay to keep your audible turn signals working with your new car stereo. These adapters are not free, but we'll give you a very nice discount on the ones you'll need for this installation.

Crutchfield strongly recommends that you use one of the recommended adapters. Failure to do so may result in serious injury or death. It will most certainly result in our (very) polite refusal to provide technical assistance when you call us for installation advice.

Tools needed: Panel tool, 7mm socket and ratchet

Steering wheel audio controls
It's relatively easy to retain the steering wheel audio controls when you install a new stereo in your pickup. When you enter your vehicle information, our database will choose the adapter you need to make your factory steering wheel controls work with your new receiver.

Shop for car stereos that fit your GMC Sierra

Replacing your factory speakers
gmc sierra front door speaker
We'll give you a nice discount on the installation gear you'll need for the doors (Crutchfield Research Photo)

Door speakers
You'll need to remove the door panel to access these speakers, of course. Depending on whether your truck has manual or power windows, there will be some differences in exactly how you do that. All will be explained in your MasterSheet.

The standard factory door speakers are closest in size to an aftermarket 6-3/4" model, but you***8217;ll need an adapter plate to install any aftermarket speaker. You can install 6-3/4" or 6-1/2" speakers and the adapter plates make installation relatively easy. The factory speakers are 4-ohm models, so you have a wide selection to choose from.

You'll need speaker harnesses to attach the new speakers to the plugs that connect to the GM factory speakers. Crutchfield includes these harnesses, plus the mounting brackets you'll need, at a deep discount with every speaker order.

Tools needed: Panel tool, 7mm & 10mm drivers, flat blade screwdriver, needle-nose pliers

gmc sierra rear pillar speaker
Replacing the pillar speakers takes a little work, but it's nothing you can't handle (Crutchfield Research Photo)

Rear pillar speakers
These Regular Cab trucks have 4"x6" speakers mounted behind the rear side pillars. They can be replaced by same-size or 4" aftermarket speakers, though you'll need to re-drill the mounting screw holes no matter which size you choose. The drilling isn't any harder here than it is in your home workshop, but be smart, work carefully, and be sure to wear eye protection.

If you want to get maximum sound quality out of your new rear pillar speakers, purchase a set of foam baffles. These baffles fit snugly around the rear of the speaker to reduce rattling and improve performance. They also protect the speakers from dust and moisture, which is always a good thing in a truck. Baffles are an inexpensive addition that really makes a difference, here and in the doors.

Tools needed: Panel tool, small flat blade screwdriver, 7mm socket, ratchet and extension, Torx T-50 driver, drill with 1/8" bit

Shop for speakers that fit your GMC Sierra

gmc sierra rear sub space
There's not a ton of space for bass back here, but a powered sub might fit (Crutchfield Research Photo)

Bass in your Silverado or Sierra
There's not a lot of room for aftermarket bass in these trucks, but all is not lost. There are some small powered subwoofers that could fit back there. And if you want to power your other speakers with an aftermarket amplifier, there's space back here to mount that, too.

Shop for vehicle-specific subwoofers for your GMC Sierra

qforms kick panel pod
Q-Forms Kick Panel Enclosures (speaker not included) can really add to your sound.

Other upgrade options for your Silverado or Sierra
Here are some other upgrade ideas for your GM pickup:

Kick panel pods
If you really want to improve the sound in your Silverado or Sierra, install a set of Q-Forms Kick Panel Pods. These unloaded, custom-fit speaker enclosures fit into the space where your kick panels are now. They hold a set of component speakers in an ideal position, angling them to maximize sound quality. They're available in a variety of colors to match your truck's interior. Installation takes some work, but it's not beyond the realm of an experienced DIY-er.

Portable nav
If you don't want to invest in a big double-DIN receiver, you can still get the nav you need and more with a Garmin portable navigation unit. A portable GPS can be transferred from vehicle to vehicle, or just tucked into a storage compartment when not in use.

Remote start and security systems
Adding remote start capability to your vehicle lets you warm it up in the winter or cool it down in the summer. The iDatastart system is incredibly convenient and makes it easier than ever to install a remote start system, so we highly recommend it. The module requires a vehicle-specific T-harness (sold separately) to connect with your vehicle's computer, security, and ignition systems, so we ask that you call to order so that we can make sure you get the right harness for your ride.

You can also talk to your Crutchfield Advisor about a security system. They***8217;re not as easy to install (we usually suggest letting a professional do the job), but we can help you choose a system that***8217;ll work in your vehicle.

Shop for car security systems for your GMC Sierra

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
13 - 05-11-2021, 00:13
Do you want a Dolby with it?

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
14 - 05-11-2021, 00:14
What Plaz said

Edit: Jesus ****ing Christ. I try to post a response to Plaz and Juggs and look who pops in to **** all over the thread.

A midget with explosive diarrhea.

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
15 - 05-11-2021, 00:19
Oh im not going to do the work. Im just buying the gear and dropping it off. Thats what messicans are for

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
16 - 05-11-2021, 00:22

34 in a Punto

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
17 - 05-11-2021, 00:24
Quote:
What Plaz said

Edit: Jesus ****ing Christ. I try to post a response to Plaz and Juggs and look who pops in to **** all over the thread.

A midget with explosive diarrhea.
Shut up you twat. In the civilised world, when you buy a car, it already has a stereo that's perfectly good enough for anyone that pulls their pants all the way up.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
18 - 05-11-2021, 00:24
The Mitch Mobile

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
19 - 05-11-2021, 00:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchdubai View Post
Shut up you twat. In the civilised world, when you buy a car, it already has a stereo that's perfectly good enough for anyone that pulls their pants all the way up.
That's not how we roll here in the USA, shatbreath.
We have options.

This chick has a perfectly good vag.
Top tier in most countries. Way beyond.
But here?
She is installing a huge woofer in that cootch to give it a little something something. A bit different than all the other hotties. Also to distract us from her mammoth forehead. She is going to sell ad space to MTX. Probably a few mill.

Last edited by Brasstax; 05-11-2021 at 00:30..
Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
20 - 05-11-2021, 00:43
Does it have a Dolby though?

Page 1 of 5

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page TW Car Stereo Gurus

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
kill yourself midxe