[COOKING] What do you use as far as Oil/Fat/Butter? by Reggs - Page 6 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [COOKING] What do you use as far as Oil/Fat/Butter?
Page 6 of 7
Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
101 - 11-03-2021, 23:29
I find that some temps are just too high for cooking at home. I really don't get oil above 300-320 degrees. I don't deep fry anything. I typically use a wok or pan at lower stir fry or saute temps. If I am doing chicken in a stir fry, I do it first in hot oil. Cook that until almost done and then sit it aside. I use the remaining oil/chicken to do the veggies in. Then, add the meat back towards the end. I almost always thinly slice meat anyway.

Anyway, I think many people have oil that is too hot. You know, carcinogens and all that.
Refined avocado can smoke at 520 degrees. That is ****ing hot.
Take soy, it will smoke around 450. Still really hot.

Coconut is down there around 350. I find that it is great for cooking veggies and meats. So, I do a lot of stir frying much lower than what temps many stir fry at. Just do the meat first - pull it out - pop it back in. Presto.

Ghee is about 482. I used ghee for awhile when doing an Indian cooking stint but went to coconut. I'll pick some up again next store trip and check it out again.

Last edited by Brasstax; 11-03-2021 at 23:32..
Sponsored Links
Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
102 - 11-04-2021, 00:37
I hear great things about duck fat. They sell it at the grocery and it has a watery consistency though, more viscous than honey.

bloodymess
VeteranXV
Old
103 - 11-04-2021, 02:10
olive oil in the pan, throw in the steak, and then kerrygold or something comparable or better. while thats going i make a salad, all i eat.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
104 - 11-04-2021, 02:25
For steaks that I am not cooking on the grill - I use one of these

A Lodge 8 inch cast iron skillet. Mine is well seasoned after years of use.

I turn on the broiler. I put the oven rack up to the top.
I let the pan heat up for about 8-10 minutes.
I pull the rack back and drop a lightly oiled and seasoned steak right smack on it in the middle.
Usually a 1.5-2 inch prime rib eye.
Slide it back in.
Wait 12 minutes or so.
Pull the whole skillet out (carefully with a good mitt - it's hot as ****)
And that's it. Perfect steak.
I usually eat it straight out of the skillet being careful not to cut the bottom with a knife. I will dip bread into the liquid fat left in the pan and eat that too.
So good with a beer.

Haven't had a steak in about a month. It's about time.

HumDumpin
ReeeingRainbowXV
Old
105 - 11-04-2021, 04:57
I use a whole full sized real big boy pan because I can pick it up w one hand being a man and all, brass.

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
106 - 11-04-2021, 05:01
i hav cast iron pan **** heavy af

they made some new uncoated nonstick pan- ****s amaze.. switched to that

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
107 - 11-04-2021, 06:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by SINep View Post
What does ghee taste like?
Gunga Din's armpit

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
108 - 11-04-2021, 07:06
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArakAtak View Post
Gunga Din's armpit
Pre or post decaf?

bowl of blood
Veteran++
Contributor
Old
109 - 11-04-2021, 17:01
the pt of ghee isnt the taste its that it has a much higher smoke pt than full butter

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
110 - 11-05-2021, 09:34
and also the taste b/c it's pretty damn unique

fry your rice in it before steaming, it's damn good

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
111 - 11-05-2021, 12:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasstax View Post
I find that some temps are just too high for cooking at home. I really don't get oil above 300-320 degrees. I don't deep fry anything. I typically use a wok or pan at lower stir fry or saute temps. If I am doing chicken in a stir fry, I do it first in hot oil. Cook that until almost done and then sit it aside. I use the remaining oil/chicken to do the veggies in. Then, add the meat back towards the end. I almost always thinly slice meat anyway.

Anyway, I think many people have oil that is too hot. You know, carcinogens and all that.
Refined avocado can smoke at 520 degrees. That is ****ing hot.
Take soy, it will smoke around 450. Still really hot.

Coconut is down there around 350. I find that it is great for cooking veggies and meats. So, I do a lot of stir frying much lower than what temps many stir fry at. Just do the meat first - pull it out - pop it back in. Presto.

Ghee is about 482. I used ghee for awhile when doing an Indian cooking stint but went to coconut. I'll pick some up again next store trip and check it out again.
I cook 99% of all my steaks or pork on my cast iron with either ghee, duck fat, or avocado oil. I no longer cook my steaks on high heat as I have discovered that it creates a thin line (1mm or so) of well-done meat, so I keep the temp low. But I like the flavor of the ghee, duck fat, or avocado oil so I continue to use those.

One of the benefits of using iron is that most of the vegetables I cook to have with my meat, go into the same pan at the same time I am cooking said meat. 100x better than way and they soak up some of the animal fat which is what I am really after.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
112 - 11-05-2021, 12:22
Hell yeah - a few peppers, onions etc on the skillet with the steak are perfect.
I love the veggies from an English roast dinner too. From the pan the roast lamb is in.

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
113 - 11-05-2021, 14:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by samUwell View Post
I cook 99% of all my steaks or pork on my cast iron with either ghee, duck fat, or avocado oil. I no longer cook my steaks on high heat as I have discovered that it creates a thin line (1mm or so) of well-done meat, so I keep the temp low. But I like the flavor of the ghee, duck fat, or avocado oil so I continue to use those.

One of the benefits of using iron is that most of the vegetables I cook to have with my meat, go into the same pan at the same time I am cooking said meat. 100x better than way and they soak up some of the animal fat which is what I am really after.
What is the duck fat like? Is there much of a taste at all?

Is all of it very runny? They should sell it in squirt bottles like ketchup.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
114 - 11-05-2021, 22:57
Steak night has to be tomorrow. The talk of steak is becoming unbearable.

Zanthious
Tribalwar Admin
Old
115 - 11-06-2021, 14:33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfive View Post
its kinda sad how you dorks continue to try to rile reggs up with ur unfunny repetitive remarks and he obviously has either ignored you or doesn't give a ****.

probably just jealous fat losers
its pretty funny how many people in tw white knight for a sister ****er but then again you dudes also thought it was cool and awesome when mstrike posting gay pics of his balls and ****. lmao

Alvarez
VeteranXX
Old
116 - 11-06-2021, 23:25
Sam the cooking guy has gotten me hooked on using Avocado oil for almost everything except cooking eggs... There is no other answer than bacon grease for that.

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
117 - 11-06-2021, 23:30
I am a huge fan of cooking in whatever comes out of what you are cooking.

LGBR
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
118 - 11-07-2021, 09:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvarez View Post
Sam the cooking guy has gotten me hooked on using Avocado oil for almost everything except cooking eggs... There is no other answer than bacon grease for that.
i ****ing hate sam, dang
hes a goddamn idiot and talks way too much

that said if i look up a recipe its babish

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
119 - 11-07-2021, 11:41
+1 on Babish. My now 20 year old stumbled onto his Youtube channel and became a fan. It was a surprise to see him get so into a cooking show since he had never shown much of a desire to learn about the kitchen. I ended up getting him the Binging with Babish cookbook when it came out. Sometimes we would agree to flip to a random page and cook whatever we landed on. Good times. Babish is a great example of how the internet should work.

uno
VeteranXX
Old
120 - 11-07-2021, 11:45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanthious View Post
its pretty funny how many people in tw white knight for a sister ****er but then again you dudes also thought it was cool and awesome when mstrike posting gay pics of his balls and ****. lmao
Nobody thought mstrike was funny.

Wasn't it reggs step sister? I mean cumdumplins spent months trying to say it was incest....

Page 6 of 7

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [COOKING] What do you use as far as Oil/Fat/Butter?

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
incel thread