Midair Alpha Launching 26th March

so ive played midair alot today. the physics are fun, and easy to pick up. Even in beta, miles ahead of shitty TA.

I like it, a few minor squibbles (no health kit, no shocklance, gimmicky alternate uses for packs), but overall its heading in the right direction. Not bad for $30

So much crying T1 will never happen again time to move on and try something new......Will maybe buy tomorrow to give it a shot

Replica post from 2001, 2004, and 2012.

"Desiring a quality product is for crybaby losers." -fratboy argument

I think all the naive 20 year olds are in another thread d00d.

Yup, and now I'm on a forum 16 years later talking about a new "Tribes" game where the Ctrl-K suicide button has been rebound to the "W" forward key.

If you were on that team, you were probably a cool guy that I liked a lot... hats off to you.

it does take a bit getting used to. Hold jet (w key for me) to go up. Press fwd (rmb) and jet to go straight.

I do miss from TV and TA the adjustments you could make in the air though. Here, press A or D in air, without the jet, does nothing. Purists will love it, but it did make inflight adjustments easy

PSA: it was just as bad to hold W in T1.

smfh

giphy.gif

That's the truth. Most of the people complaining about this are Ascend players. All of the active T1 players have no trouble because it's the same fucking thing in T1.

This, maybe a bit easier though. Perhaps because the maps in t1 and t2 were at times jagged as fuck, these stock maps are all rolling hills on purpose

i wouldnt say its exactly like T1, there are so many nuances that are different - less gravity, thrust power differences between horizontal and vertical, smooth skiing, less powerful jump, lower cap on fall speed, less fall damage, etc etc etc

and i still find holding W more punishing in midair at high speeds - you can hold W in T1 anytime ur not thrusting because it makes no difference, same as midair but there were definitely uber-fast routes like the IceRidge back to front that you had to hold W+Jet to gain and maintain your speed, whereas similar routes in midair feel like you should let off W and just tap upwards jet occasionally to maintain your height

so when people keep saying 'its exactly like t1' i find it a bit frustrating and really gives people the wrong kind of expectation that they can do everything exactly like they did in T1

its not exactly like T1 if you can list 5 to 10 differences. its similar.

if it was exactly the same then, if somehow they were able to make say, a copy of stonehenge, the routes would take the same amount of time, you'd jet and use vectored controls exactly the same, and you'd use the same amount of jet power. but for some reason, i think it would play out differently... cuz its not exactly the same.

not saying its bad, its far easier than T1 aside from picking up those little nuances - its just a little different

it's not exact, it's easier. This is why I don't get the complaints. I'm one of the few who went from actively playing T1 to playing Midair for a decent amount of time. T1 is by far the harder game. People struggling with Midairs physics and claiming to be T1 fanbois is blowing my mind.

Complaining about the art, base design, balance of weapons, these are complaints I expected. But I didn't see the physics being something that TW would complain about.

The first thing I told Mabel and Bugspray was I thought it was too easy to get around the map. Ez ski mode and strong jets. I was concerned about it but apparently I was wrong.

this is why i keep my mouth shut about midair for the most part - even pointing out minor nuanced differences is seen as 'complaining' and then i get giant essays from people who have never played T1 like Nark saying its 'exactly the same'

Let's take all the things that are perfected in tribes 1 and 2 and put them in a new game, change them, make shittier graphics, and release it in an engine that doesn't allow modding. If you complain, fuck you!
What was the point of this game again? Wasn't it Tribes with better graphics? lol

Back