Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Midair Alpha Launching 26th March
Page 11 of 21
The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
201 - 08-27-2017, 00:04
Anyone saying that Ascend skiing was closer to T1 than Midair has a pretty wild and out-there opinion...

None of the discussion really matters very much though.

The developers of Midair are falling into the exact same trap as every other Tribes sequel development team. I can expand on that if you want, but I didn't feel like dropping an essay worth of effort on this.

I wish the team the best of luck and great success, but I am highly convinced the game is going to flop mega-hard. I have been for a very long while now. I've just been quiet about it, cus I don't feel like being a negative-nancy. There's no point in doing that either.

It's not too late for them to turn it around, but I'm like 98% certain they won't, based on what I know.

Tribes has not mattered for a very long time now, and it probably never will ever again...

This will be the same exact train-wreck for the 4th or whatever time in a row. It makes me think of someone watching 3 people jump off a cliff one after the other, and then following suit thinking he/she can do things differently, but naw, *splat*.

It's the same exact thing, every... single... time...

Spoiler

Sponsored Links
Highfive
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
202 - 08-27-2017, 00:21
alright you autistic pumpkin. you don't have to write an essay but what the **** are you babbling about?

Pengo
VeteranXV
Old
203 - 08-27-2017, 00:44
played a couple games so far. need to play a few more before I make up my mind permanently. I don't instantly hate it, but there are definitely issues. sound effects all feel muted

also my brain can't get past how horrible the light's face model/art looks. his giant goofy face in the loadout screen is haunting my dreams.

Pagy
VeteranXX
Old
204 - 08-27-2017, 01:04
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing-Stork View Post
Dear god it's like you were all complete ass at tribes and have spent more time arguing with retards on TW than you ever did playing T1.

Oh wait..I'm not wrong.
well i would hope that applies to 100% of tw posters for a game that was dead 18 years ago

but grats and stuff for playing an 18yr old irrelevant game u must feel fulfilled

Laughing-Stork
VeteranXV
Old
205 - 08-27-2017, 01:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagy View Post
well i would hope that applies to 100% of tw posters for a game that was dead 18 years ago

but grats and stuff for playing an 18yr old irrelevant game u must feel fulfilled
do you have a point or is Nico your lover?

Do you agree Ascend's movement is the closest you can get to T1?

If yes, please just stop posting in tribes related threads.

The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
206 - 08-27-2017, 01:32

Midair features cool new skiing, cool new terrain, cool new weapons, a cool new perma iff for flagholders, cool new packs, cool new vehicles, and cool new XYZ, just like every other cool new Tribes sequel that was made.

And when the world doesn't embrace their "cool new" "improved" version, it will all be the community's fault for "not being willing to embrace change".

We keep desiring the same thing, we keep asking for the same thing, and we keep getting ignored, and we keep getting served "new cool" stuff, every single time.

Interview: The man who Video Games Examiner

Just read this, it's incredible.

"Vengeance was designed as a sort of ‘return-to-roots’ version of the game" -Thrax Panda

Vengeance was a 'return-to-roots'. Sound familiar?

"So with Vengeance being more like the original Tribes, and less like Tribes 2 in regards to physics and map design, we made part of the audience happy, and part unhappy. But leaving out the tools the hardcore fans needed to hold competitive matches made everybody angry." -Thrax Panda

Yeah, it was because competitive match tools were left out, not the quad-damage speed pack, or the mega speed-booster energy pack, or the grappling hook, invincibility shield pack, or any of that "cool new stuff" that Thrax put in to "improve" the game.

The word "oblivious" doesn't even do it justice.

Everyone and anyone that makes a Tribes game chooses to reinvent the wheel.

Every dev team you will ever see is going to make us something totally "cool and new" and better, with a "return to Tribes 1 roots" label slapped on top of it.

Incoming train-wreck. Grab your popcorn everyone. This will be #4.

Nicodemus
VeteranXX
Old
207 - 08-27-2017, 01:33
I could get a lot farther, a lot faster in Assend. This game feels like you have wind blowing against you, keeping you from your goal. Assend's movement was a ****load better, minus all the gimmecky bull****.

I did not say it was a great game, I said it had good movement. I hated it. But it had something right. Chasing in that game was the funnest I've had since t1.

The rest of the game was **** tho.

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
208 - 08-27-2017, 03:59
so let's just assume that everyone that hates this game just sucks at it

because that's almost certainly the truth

ggs

DeadlyRabbit
VeteranXV
Old
209 - 08-27-2017, 09:43
I was going to log in and play a bit, but it looks like there are about 4 people playing on NA servers, and 14 people in EU servers.

T2 and MA are the only 2 tribes where I didn't find skiing was interesting enough to just ski around a map, like other people say the feel is off although it is close.

It is something that is difficult to get right, Overwatch had that right feel from the beta and everyone that played it was surprised by how well the game felt. Blizzard has the resources to get the feel of a game right. Playing Doom 2016 recently showed they have that aspect down too, movement is different than Overwatch but the speed you move at makes you want to keep moving and jumping.

In Midair the game gives you lots of hills to entice you to ski, but once you do that it always seems off. There are times you gain more speed than you feel you should while going down a short hill, but the next hill suddenly feels like you don't gain enough. The walking speed of the game should be increased a bit, maybe 10%. In one aspect they are tell you should be going fast but in other aspects they are slowing you down and that inconsistent feel of the movement in the game messes with the feel of the game. Jump is not even bound because you are supposed use jets, anyone that plays a FPS gets messed by that since most people are used to bunny hopping a bit.

I want it to be better, but they don't have the resources to get a lot people that have never played a tribes game to test it and give their feedback, or maybe they don't want to listen to them.

I am looking at this game not as someone that played all the tribes games but as someone that plays FPS, I don't care how close it feels to T1. It doesn't even make sense to try to copy that aspect from any tribes game, this has to be its own game and have a good feel for the maps and style of play with it. Telling people they will get used to the movement isn't taking the feed back correctly, get 10 people that have never a tribes game before to play the game for 5 minutes while guiding them through skiing and you will probably get ratings of 1 or 2 out of 10 for feel and movement of the game.

I am writing too much about this game that nobody plays

Danno
VeteranXX
Old
210 - 08-27-2017, 10:07
Just copy either the T1 physics or T2 Classic. Then throw in whatever. Spider clamp turrets are also over powered but that wouldn't be a problem if you could see them easier. I don't know what else to say.

At the games current state I would pub it for a bit but competitive play probably wouldn't happen/.

Mogs
VeteranXX
Old
211 - 08-27-2017, 12:24
I kickstarted for 20$ how do i play this game?

The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
212 - 08-27-2017, 12:27
Quote:
Originally Posted by havax View Post
so let's just assume that everyone that hates this game just sucks at it

because that's almost certainly the truth

ggs
No one ever said that exact line when Tribes 2 came out.

And no one ever said that exact line when Tribes Vengeance came out.

And no one ever said that exact line when Tribes Ascend came out.

And I'm not noticing any exact patterns taking place over time.

I have no doubt that many will try in earnest to like this "cool new" Tribes game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno View Post
Just copy either the T1 physics or T2 Classic.
Not gonna happen. You're gonna get something "cool and new" again.

We don't get to tell gaming developers what we want. They get to tell us what we are supposed to want. Their vision of what Tribes is will always be superior to ours.

Mine-discing will be out, you'll get a new sniper rifle, etc...

Anyone noticing any patterns yet?

"I think the sniper rifle was designed quite poorly. The ability to mine+disk caused some major problems later in the game’s life – it’s a hard skill to master, but it allowed players in light armor to easily kill players in heavy, and it disrupted the last bits of the game’s balance" -Thrax Panda 2009

None of this has ever happened before...

Highfive
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
213 - 08-27-2017, 12:56
megaton autism bomb

KittyCat
VeteranXX
Old
214 - 08-27-2017, 13:01
Laughing stork

I don't want to get in a dick waiving contest over a 20 year old game

But claiming some of us never layed t1?

You were on my t1 team as a backup capper in like 2008 when you first started lt. You got good at the game much later on than most and we're better than most but seriously? Why of all people would you be so cocky? Jfc get a grip on reality

And tpk good posts I respect tpk & dare probably most in here tbh

Laughing-Stork
VeteranXV
Old
215 - 08-27-2017, 13:15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCat View Post
Laughing stork

I don't want to get in a dick waiving contest over a 20 year old game

But claiming some of us never layed t1?

You were on my t1 team as a backup capper in like 2008 when you first started lt. You got good at the game much later on than most and we're better than most but seriously? Why of all people would you be so cocky? Jfc get a grip on reality

I was never on your team, I would ring for your team like I did for most of the teams back then. And that was like 2005.

I'm obviously being sarcastic. But it's no lie that most of the remaining TW community was ****ing garbage at T1. I'm just telling the truth.

I simply pointed out that Nico said the most ridiculous line I had read out of all the Midair feedback. I'm defending T1 as a game against braindead idiots smfh.

The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
216 - 08-27-2017, 13:17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highfive View Post
megaton autism bomb
It's fine, you do your thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyCat View Post
Thanks man.

KittyCat
VeteranXX
Old
217 - 08-27-2017, 13:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing-Stork View Post
I was never on your team, I would ring for your team like I did for most of the teams back then. And that was like 2005.

I'm obviously being sarcastic. But it's no lie that most of the remaining TW community was ****ing garbage at T1. I'm just telling the truth.

I simply pointed out that Nico said the most ridiculous line I had read out of all the Midair feedback. I'm defending T1 as a game against braindead idiots smfh.
T1 > all these turds by a Longshot

Yes

Sharps
VeteranXV
Old
218 - 08-27-2017, 13:28
They had to make an appeal to the masses and a T1 skiing curve was not going to accomplish that since it would be too hard. Coming from T1, I understand that decision even if it's not ideal for me personally.

It's hard to make a game with skiing that appeals to people across the versions of Tribes but many people from Alpha came from different games (T1, T2, Legions, T:A) and have come to enjoy the skiing just fine.

For people who don't like the skiing at the start, stick with it for more than a day and try some actual routes. There is some nuance - it's just not found at the 140-180kph level.

I agree the walking speed should be increased a bit and that some of the initial binds should be changed; those are extremely easy fixes.

I've definitely stopped accidentally with insta-stop so I'd like to see it fixed at some point, but it's a minor thing in practice. It's a less versatile beacon stop, since you get chewed up much faster in Midair if you have no speed than in T1. You would think people would do this more often though, but in practice I don't think I've seen anyone else do it purposefully: Pull-off Grab

Last edited by Sharps; 08-27-2017 at 13:37..
The Pumpkin King
VeteranXX
Old
219 - 08-27-2017, 13:34
And there is the classic "T1 with better graphics would never be accepted" post.

Not trying to troll you, but we should just start digging up all the T2, T:V, and T:A posts and just start cutting and pasting.

I'm getting too old. This is just the exact same conversation for like the 20th+ time.

slogg
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
220 - 08-27-2017, 13:40
downloading now, ill come back to tell you all how much i hate it in an hour

Page 11 of 21

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Midair Alpha Launching 26th March

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
alex dare levert , alex levert