Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited by Window - Page 7 - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited
Page 7 of 96
cael
VeteranXX
Old
121 - 02-09-2011, 05:56
i hated dune

Sponsored Links
Ascoe
VeteranXV
Old
122 - 02-09-2011, 06:38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp!nfusor Salad View Post
You support the Gunslinger as best?

very interesting position... im kinda with you on it because it is sort of creepy and hard to focus clearly... a good but hard book most say was his WORST of the series.

"The dark man fled into the desert and the Gunslinger followed"

great **** there.
hmm, I think its the opposite: I thought the first book was the stronger of the series

I only recommend reading the first one since it can kind of stand on its own. I'll admit that by halfway through book four I got bored and put it down.

Last edited by Ascoe; 02-09-2011 at 06:41..
coombz
VeteranXX
Old
123 - 02-09-2011, 06:59
i strongly disliked the revised version of the Gunslinger

i read the original version about 10 years or more before i got my hands on the rest of the series, and i had re-read it quite a few times during that period and always loved the enigmatic and unknown nature of the world, and of Roland himself

the revised version loses a lot of that mystery ;\

but i'm sure a large amount of the reason i like the original version is the huge gap i had to ponder it before i got into the rest of the books

Last edited by coombz; 02-09-2011 at 07:01..
ferret
VeteranXX
Old
124 - 02-09-2011, 10:57
I liked the Gunslinger up until book 4, then it just seemed really really forced. The last few books were terribly written, and too much fluff was added for the sake of fluff.

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
125 - 02-09-2011, 11:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empirion View Post
Dragonlance Chronicles.

Hell yes.

Also recommend The Death Gate Cycle series.

Darklord
VeteranX
Old
126 - 02-09-2011, 11:57
If anyone is interested, there's a deal for the Nook Wifi for 80$ today at https://1saleaday.com/

It is factory refurbished, but it is still a great deal, the nook is a fabulous e-reader. The touchscreen at the bottom is far better then dealing with all of the kindles buttons.

Beef
VeteranXV
Old
127 - 02-09-2011, 12:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi View Post
has anyone read peter hamilton's night's dawn trilogy? reality dysfunction / neutronium alchemist / naked god

i only recently started some of hamilton's books and liked it.. but was hesitant to dive into such a huge story
I'm reading Pandora's Star, by Hamilton. It's my first "real Si-Fi" and I'm surprised by how much I am liking it. Some parts are a little long but the farther I get into the book, the more rewarding it has become.

Anyone a member of Audible? It's amazon for audio books. They have an android app and I have been very happy with it while I use it on my daily commute.

Whoop
VeteranXX
Old
128 - 02-09-2011, 12:26
this is a light and fun read. The story moves at a nice clip and the characters are engaging. The only 'gotcha' is that there is a bit of a gay love story, but its extremely understated.

Amazon.com: Luck in the Shadows (Nightrunner, Vol. 1) (9780553575422): Lynn Flewelling, Gary Ruddell: Books

Calamari
VeteranXV
Old
129 - 02-09-2011, 12:35
Quote:
Originally Posted by havax View Post

Hell yes.

Also recommend The Death Gate Cycle series.

Yeah I loved DL... when I was 12. It's fantasy schlock at best, only slightly better than the rest of the **** that floats to the top of the sci-fi/fantasy pool.

So hard to find good fantasy that's written for adults these days =/

If no one has mentioned Hyperion and its sequel yet, they are pretty enjoyable. Also Ship of Fools.

havax
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
130 - 02-09-2011, 12:39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calamari View Post
Yeah I loved DL... when I was 12. It's fantasy schlock at best, only slightly better than the rest of the **** that floats to the top of the sci-fi/fantasy pool.

So hard to find good fantasy that's written for adults these days =/

If no one has mentioned Hyperion and its sequel yet, they are pretty enjoyable. Also Ship of Fools.
true, i read them many years ago.

Velo
VeteranXX
Old
131 - 02-09-2011, 12:41
The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins is a fun quick sci-fi read.

Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
132 - 02-24-2011, 23:30
Been getting into more fantasy leaning stuff lately, second the Locke Lamora series, Joe Abercrombie's stuff, and Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind (second book comes out March 1st, cant wait).

I'm halfway maybe through the second Malazan book, jesus christ these are long. Very good, but holy **** you need to pay attention.

Not sure if I recomended it before, but both the new Way of Kings series (1 novel out) and the completed Mistborn Trilogy are just amazing. Mistborn's "Allomancy" magic would make for very entertaining movie adaptations. It legitimizes what are basically Force powers, super strength, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodom View Post
Kingkiller chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss (name of the wind series)

Gentleman Bastards sequence (the lies of locke lamora, Red Seas Under Red Skies)

Prince of Nothing series by R Scott Baker(The Darkness That Comes Before / The Warrior Prophet / The Thousandfold Thought)

First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (The Blade Itself, Before They Are Hanged. Last Argument of Kings + standalones: Best Served Cold)

and prob one of my favs right now...The Malazan Book of the Fallen + side stories Steven Erikson and Ian Casselmont

1. Gardens of the Moon (1999)
2. Deadhouse Gates (2000)
3. Memories of Ice (2001)
4. House of Chains (2002)
5. Midnight Tides (2004)
6. The Bonehunters (2006)
7. Reaper's Gale (2007)
8. Toll the Hounds (2008)
9. Dust of Dreams (2009)
10. The Crippled God (forthcoming)

Novellas in the Series

1. Blood Follows (2002)
2. The Healthy Dead (2004)
3. The Lees of Laughter's End (2007)
4. Crack’d Pot Trail (2009)[9]

Novels of the Malazan Empire

1. Night of Knives (2004, written by Ian Cameron Esslemont).
2. Return of the Crimson Guard (2008, written by Ian Cameron Esslemont).
3. Stonewielder (2010, written by Ian Cameron Esslemont).

|Blitzkrieg|
VeteranXX
Old
133 - 02-24-2011, 23:39
I just finished the first Malazaan book, and I still haven't decided if I like the series. Going to try the first Estermont book next, see if I prefer his writing style.

If I recall correctly, Brandon Sanderson has said Mistborn has been optioned for film, but that's all that has happened so far. Definitely could work out very well as a film. He's also written a short-story set way in the future. I believe he tweeted that an Alomantic gun-battle was at the center of the story... SWEET!

Currently re-reading the Redwall series. They're definitely for a younger audience, but Brian Jacques just passed away a couple of weeks ago, and they're quick reads, so it felt like a fun idea

Super-Grover
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
134 - 02-24-2011, 23:42
I really would try to get out ahead of Game of Thrones on HBO by reading the first book first. It's so worth it.

Bodom
VeteranXX
Old
135 - 02-25-2011, 00:03
the first malazan book is chock full of messed up stuff. theres continuity and other problems with it

get to the 2-3 book and make a decision. its a ****ing amazing series. the books shift focus to diff parts of the world and people book by book. its starts coming all together in the end. its ludicrous

Excel
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
136 - 02-25-2011, 00:07
Ok seriously, am I the only one having fits waiting for Rothfuss' new book?

Spoiler

Shiloh
Veteran++
Old
137 - 02-25-2011, 00:25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
Ok seriously, am I the only one having fits waiting for Rothfuss' new book?

Spoiler
Rothfuss is good, but I'm dying for the next Dresden File. The stuff is like crack.

Walking_Man
VeteranX
Old
138 - 02-25-2011, 00:29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Excel View Post
Been getting into more fantasy leaning stuff lately, second the Locke Lamora series, Joe Abercrombie's stuff, and Patrick Rothfuss' Name of the Wind (second book comes out March 1st, cant wait).
I can't tell if I liked or disliked Name of the Wind. Kvothe was such a Mary Sue it wasn't even funny.

Window
VeteranX
Old
139 - 02-25-2011, 00:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascoe View Post
Window, you interested stephen king at all ? the first darktower novel is decent.
Was surprised to see this thread bumped heh... i've read the darktower series, book one was definitely the best.

Plowing through the first malazan book now, the first 300pages or so were confusing/jumbled, wasn't sure if I liked it... however it's getting better towards the end.

SecretSquirrel
VeteranXV
Old
140 - 02-25-2011, 01:17
I didn't really like Malazan. It's not the way I do things. The three super-dogs on the road in Gardens of the Moon could have ate the whole world.

As one other person said, "How do people build houses, raise a family, or bring in a harvest with gods crushing their houses every other day?"

I've heard he patterns his stuff off of Glenn Cook, and I think Cook is a much better writer. The book reminded me of how close Robert Jordan followed Tolkien in his first Wheel of Time book.

Last edited by SecretSquirrel; 02-25-2011 at 01:25..
Page 7 of 96

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
alex dare levert , alex knapik-levert