FS: Gaming PCs

i'm looking to buy a new PC prior to SWTOR/Tribes(if i play it)/etc.. One of the things i'm wondering is performance when having OS + a game on an SSD vs using the Intel Smart Response technology and having a 30-40gb SSDNOW in.

Last edited:
I haven't tried the intel thing yet, 60gb ssds are affordable and I don't see a reason to get a 30-40gb just for caching.

note that due to the flood in Thailand, HD prices have pretty much doubled, I didn't stock a lot of them, so once I run out expect system prices to go up a little.

Die Hard, what's the story with those Biostar boards? Are they really that good? I normally wouldn't touch that brand.

Good price/performance, it's got all the important features of a high end board and built nicely. I haven't had a single issue with them yet considering how many Asus/gigabyte boards i've had to RMA this year so far.

these are all still available right die hard? does price include shipping? (sorry i didnt read through the full thread yet)

ill be honest i know nothing about what is considered "good" right now for computers so any info you can provide would help

Yeah I'm out of the loop as well. Looking to buy a system to possibly play BF3/tribes...mostly for streaming bluray HD which I don't imagine I need a fast system for.

All listed items are available (two are awaiting payment, but i can always build another one if it's one you want), shipping is free. If you want to play BF3 at high+ detail then anything above the $900 system should be able to do it. The $900 one can probably do it too but it's cutting it close.

Basically for every price point increase you'll get a nice power increase, it all depends on how much you want to spend :)

Last edited:
the only downside to all of this is my bad experience with amazon payments. it's not really a terrible experience, they've just been extremely slow in syncing up with my bank, essentially turning what i thought was going to be a 10 day wait into like a 20+ day wait.

if i had 3 monitors, would 2x geforce 570 in sli be able to run nvidia surround?

yea it can, just make sure all 3 monitors are identical. You'll probably have to lower details a little to run surround.

Back