SL83's Extended and Ongoing Beer Thread

I'm finishing up my Nut Brown Ale.

I think I will need to search for another favorite beer - as this isn't it anymore.

HOWEVER - I still am a HUGE FAN of Brooklyn Brown Ale by Brooklyn Breweries. I need to take a tour of that place.

get into Porters, first English then work your way to American, Robust, and Imperial's

or stop being a nancy and start liking hops

I do like some porters. And I like a few stouts.

Sam Adam's Honey Porter is delicious. Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout is yum.

Southampton RIS and Baltic Porter
Smuttynose Porter
almost anything from Captain Lawrence brewery

you had Brookyln Black Ops yet?

Southampton RIS and Baltic Porter
Smuttynose Porter
almost anything from Captain Lawrence brewery

you had Brookyln Black Ops yet?

Negative on all fronts.

I have had Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale and thought it was kinda BLEGH! But I'll try other smuttynose shit.

So I finally decided to try La Fin Du Monde again. I had tried it 2 years ago and didn't like it all, and girlfriend had same experience when she tried it a while back so I ordered it at lunchkfast today and we both agreed that it was amazingly delicious. I guess it deserves all the high ratings it gets. It reminds me of Delirium Tremens but with an additional subtle spicy background.

I guess tastes for beer really do evolve significantly because we both had thought it was extremely disgusting when we first tried it separately.

La%2BFin%2BDu%2BMonde%2BPost.jpg

great Tripel...sometimes I have issues with the carbonation levels in all of Unibroue's beer

had a 2 year old Trois Pistoles on Friday that was delicious

Finally tried a Trappist Rochefort 10:

rochefort-101-e1258636491428.jpg

Delicious and I like it a bit better than St. Bernardus Abt 12. The Bernardus seems to have bit more unpleasant bitterness, but that could just be the way the sediment pours.

Finally tried a Trappist Rochefort 10:

rochefort-101-e1258636491428.jpg

Delicious and I like it a bit better than St. Bernardus Abt 12. The Bernardus seems to have bit more unpleasant bitterness, but that could just be the way the sediment pours.

if you dont like the sediment then dont pour it in? i never pour the sediment on any belgian. unfilitered wheats... sure, but the sediment only makes a belgian taste like shit, so maybe that was your problem with the first la fin du monde.

I tried the Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I'm obviously not a beer connoisseur because the "beer" taste was the most present for me and I really hard a hard time differentiating it from another beer.

At least there wasn't enough difference for me to say "hot damn that's some good beer".

The last beer I remember drinking where there was a significant taste difference was Fat Tire and I liked it.

Any recommendations for flavored beer where the flavor theme is really strong and doesn't taste much like actual beer? Like fruity or oatmeal or chocolate. I'll try anything if it sounds good, but if it's just beer with a hint of whatever flavor...I usually don't like it.

if you dont like the sediment then dont pour it in? i never pour the sediment on any belgian. unfilitered wheats... sure, but the sediment only makes a belgian taste like shit, so maybe that was your problem with the first la fin du monde.
Yeah I usually just pour a small part of the bottle, drink that, and then continue to add it bit by bit so the sediment goes mostly towards the later pours.

I think the Rochefort just has less of it. It seemed a lot clearer.

I tried the Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I'm obviously not a beer connoisseur because the "beer" taste was the most present for me and I really hard a hard time differentiating it from another beer.

At least there wasn't enough difference for me to say "hot damn that's some good beer".

The last beer I remember drinking where there was a significant taste difference was Fat Tire and I liked it.

Any recommendations for flavored beer where the flavor theme is really strong and doesn't taste much like actual beer? Like fruity or oatmeal or chocolate. I'll try anything if it sounds good, but if it's just beer with a hint of whatever flavor...I usually don't like it.
What do you mean by beer taste? Hop flavor? Bitterness?

Most fruit beers will taste like carbonated jolly ranchers so you might like that.

the best way to "understand" the flavor, aroma, and taste of a beer is to simply trial and error it. find a beer everyone says, "wow, too hoppy for me," and taste that. trying to explain hops to someone who is familiar with budweiser and the like is like explaining mozart to a deaf person.

edit: go to a brewhouse and ask for a sampler, usually five or six 2-ounce samples per region / flavor.

Back