FilePlanet pulled T2?

Menzo:

this is a bold move, i congratulate you on getting it pulled off. Hopefully your announcements at E3 will make tribes a highly anticipated beta and the final release will be absolutely stunning. The game has the potential from what i have played of previous incarnations, but there have always been things that held tribes back. It looks like those things have been specifically analyzed and addressed. Releasing a warezed game and T2 for free will give you more positive feedback then the snipe jerking here on TW. What I am saying is dont let the posts of a few members+fools hold you back from making additional marketing moves like this one in the future with tribes (or other) games, it is very positive PR.

<3

Someone who has played T1 + T2 competitively

Razer said:
Just out of curiousity, who had the idea for this free give away? And what was the reasoning, besides the publicity? Community good will?

Gotta give props to Marweas. It was an idea I think he was toying with a long time ago, so I just helped make it happen.

Menzo said:
Gotta give props to Marweas. It was an idea I think he was toying with a long time ago, so I just helped make it happen.

And it was a really great, great idea and many T2 players are really grateful. Personally I'm very grateful too and would like to thank you for what you did.

But I don't understand one thing. You are doing a great marketing job - all those screenshots, movies, interviews, even free release of T2 and T1. This is a very well planned marketing task and it's obvious that you put a lot of effort here. But ppl don't remember good things as good as they remember bad things. You made a great marketing job for T:V, you once again liven up T2 community and you almost destroyed this huge effort by a small stupid mistake. I can't understand this. Why did you do that for yourselves?

Menzo you may want to get your IT department to FIX the master servers - the browser, tmail, warrior/clan lists etc _do not work_.

So players cannot:
* Join/create a tribe/team
* Change their warrior name
* Send messages to other players via T-Mail
* Use the buddylist feature to track players
* View player/team history

And all that other stuff thats tied into the browser.

Are you aware this is broken?

Menzo, I think it is/was the killer idea to release the games to the general public to build hype for Vengeance. This limit stuff was totally unexpected by all. At first it almost reminded me of the burning fudge smell I experienced when T2 was first released and I brought it home and tried to run it on my computer while getting UE's every 2 minutes and got 3-8 FPS on a system that the specs on the box said should run the game fine. (And yes, no-one was behind me or in the room at the time).

Having read through this thread though, I can see how and why it happened, and hopefully all that download the games can play them and get psyched for the release of Vengeance. I think in general TV has so far been handled much better than T2 ever was, and am very grateful for all the effort everyone at Irrational and Sierra are putting into the game, the marketing, and the existing peeps here who still play both Tribes Games.

Please tell don't tell us the Beta will be closed though..lol I hope we vets can participate in the Open beta, and help make Vengeance the best A+ multiplayer game out there....

Menzo said:
- And just to tease you, I wanted to let you know that we've wrapped up a deal that I think is pretty huge. It's exciting stuff, but we won't be talking about it until April. It should be worth the wait, though. Commence rumor mongering. I won't tell you if you get it right, but I'd love to see some speculation.

Menzo, is the T1/T2 for free thing the deal they you hinted to in this thread back in Febuary?

If not, do we know what it is yet OR are we still waiting?

It would be cool to see Tribalwar as a starting place for a beta test, though with the last Tribes release, T2, "It's not T1" is all that was heard... :p

sYs|yavor said:
No. Next time just tell people the truth: there will be 5000 keys, they are for US. And don't justify before me, I have two accounts and that's enough for me and my son. Say this to all people around the world who thought that T2 will be for free and who feel deceived by Sierra. If you call this "marketing", it is the worst marketing ever.

Thrax and I once joked that if you have away free money on TribalWar, some @hole would manage to complain that it was the wrong bill. :lol:

Menzo said:
You should probably wait to get pissed that we're not doing something until after we actually say we're doing it.
I never said I was pissed, I just thougt they said they would have both games.
What do I care anyway, I already have 2 Tribes2 keys, and a Tribes CD even if it was never released in France. :)

Marweas said:
Thrax and I once joked that if you have away free money on TribalWar, some @hole would manage to complain that it was the wrong bill. :lol:

Really funny. You seem to don't understand, Marweas. I work as a journalist. People believe me. You (oh, Sierra) said that Tribes 2 will be for free, without mention about specific conditions and limitations. You did your job, you, but now I have to justify before people. Very funny and it really justifies the deep irony in your comments. From my POV, Sierra lost my confidence and next time I will think more than twice before publishing any information from this source.

Good job, nice comment, thank you very much.

The people that have posted against Sierra are idiots. If you had any sense of what goes into running a major server of the capacity that the T2 master server has then you'd shut up. The Tribes series, games, and community has been one of the best in online gaming, and the thing that I've noticed is that (some of you) trash the company, games, and their reps when something goes wrong. Chill, relax, go outside, take a breath of fresh air and let the professionals at Sierra work this thing out. And unless you feel like you know how to fix the problem by yourself shut up already and stop whining.

Back