FilePlanet pulled T2?

PyroTechNix said:
Yeah, i just wanted to vent some flustration, after getting a key, but not being able to dl it. (phaseshift: my isp sucks / fp sucks / i hate my job / you got a potty mouth, i dunno pick one :) ).

Anyways I guess ill pick up the magazine, if no one posts a mirror.

BaM!

Last edited:
sYs|yavor said:
ROFL again. I don't understand this thinking that in the era of internet the "world" means "USA". There are thousands of players around the world interested in Tribes 2. They can't buy CGW because they don't live in USA. You, Sierra, increased their hope, you said that this game will be "FOR FREE". And you give 5000 keys only?

Since when did we ever promise a worldwide giveaway. In fact, we only put out the press release to US websites and offered the download only on a US site and specifically told them to limit the CD keys given away to US members (I don't know if they actually did this).

There are different laws in every country and I can't just go give away Tribes 2 around the world because we think it's a good idea in the US. In fact, we were told by our European marketing people that our distribution partners in Europe would be upset if they gave away Tribes 2 there.

You're barking up the wrong tree here.

I'm European and I understand that there are issues with using the same marketing for USA and Europe. But once again we see the utter lack of European marketing for the tribes-franchise (Tribes wasn't even released in Sweden except for when it was bundled with Starsiege and Tribes 2 floated out in oblivion). Everytime we ask the Tribes devs (be it the ex producers at Dynamix or the new producers at sierra/irrational) we always get the same answer: "There are people responsible for marketing the game in Europe, we don't have anything to do with it."

Well, you might want to tell the people at sierra that they are doing a crappy job. I'm sure you want your game to be widely distributed, worldwide. I mean, what use is there to put your heart and soul into a game if it doesn't achieve its potential?

I've gone around telling my friends that T2 is free now, and now they're pissed that, well... it isn't. I understand that there are technical limitations, but please, for the sake of T:V being a global success, please try to give people a chance to dl T2, even if they should happen to be european.

Oh, and make sure someone is responsible for marketing it in Europe, cause so far I haven't seen a single trace of these mythical marketers. A thought: Why not hire someone from the European community? It worked for the US.

Menzo said:
You're barking up the wrong tree here.

No. Next time just tell people the truth: there will be 5000 keys, they are for US. And don't justify before me, I have two accounts and that's enough for me and my son. Say this to all people around the world who thought that T2 will be for free and who feel deceived by Sierra. If you call this "marketing", it is the worst marketing ever.

Wait a sec, (didnt read every post), am i wrong in assuming that a CD is required to validate taht someone bought the game? Since you're giving the game away...what purpose does a CD key now serve?(other than saving the auth server..)

Serle said:
Wait a sec, (didnt read every post), am i wrong in assuming that a CD is required to validate taht someone bought the game? Since you're giving the game away...what purpose does a CD key now serve?(other than saving the auth server..)

The key has nothing to do with the CD, it a way to generate guid's. The auth server requires it.

Menzo said:
In fact, we were told by our European marketing people that our distribution partners in Europe would be upset if they gave away Tribes 2 there.
Anyway, both games will be on the DVD of the June issue of a french magazine...

Um. The magazine didn't come with a key. It came with a link telling me to go to fileplanet and pickup at T2 CD-key.

Edit: Seems the magazine link might work. Going to test it.

Last edited:
elton said:
Anyway, both games will be on the DVD of the June issue of a french magazine...

You may not want to assume this. It's likely that the DVD will only include Tribes 1 given a phone call I had with our European people this morning.

You should probably wait to get pissed that we're not doing something until after we actually say we're doing it.

Serle said:

The most and insightful and simple question to be asked.

Its like someone in the marketing department didn't decide on a goal before they came up with a strategy. Unless they hoped that building some hype would make ppl go out and buy T2 there is no point in a cd-key anymore.

Maybe a patch would be needed to remove login and cd-key verification and thats why they didn't bother.

If it ever came down to it, a community patch could be made to bypass the sierra auth server.
However, that would mean none of the community features would work and everyone would have to play as a smurf, but that would get the T2 players ready for T:V ;)
Also, all servers and clients would need to be running it. Not impossible to do, but difficult.

Menzo said:
You may not want to assume this. It's likely that the DVD will only include Tribes 1 given a phone call I had with our European people this morning.
Lies..... They don't exist.. They were paid off with the rest.. Or so it seems. :grimreape

Menzo said:
We need to look at how our servers are holding up to the relative onslaught of new accounts and determine if we can give FilePlanet the OK to distribute more CD-keys.

It seems to me that more keys may yet be given out. Why is everyone so pessimistic?

Back