dear gigs

not sure if you've had a chance to peruse Modernist Cuisine yet, but if you have a few hundred dollars to spend it's a pretty bitchin read. it's a fairly weighty tome, i've only really scratched the surface. i really can't imagine needing another reference book for anything food related ever again though. it's also full of recipes adapated and inspired by guys like wylie dufrense, heston blumenthal, ferran adria and david chang.

best food book i've seen since On Food And Cooking, by a wide margin.

There are actually quite a few serious mistakes in that book.

For one thing, dont go making sausages from their recipes, unless you enjoy botulism.

Lastly, spending $500 or whatever ridiculous amount, when all the information within it can be found on the net is IMO, insane.

But then again, I have never been one to purchase cook books.

There is a lot of debate on it at egullet.org if you are interested.

i get cookbooks from the library.

most are way too expensive to buy. i own some really good ones but they are more like reference manuals or not just full of recipes (the lutece cookbook is a good example, it has a lot of soltners philosophies on cooking).

books i own and recommend
- on food and cooking (mcgee)
- ratio (ruhlman)- complete techniques (pepin)
- the lutece cookbook (soltner)
- larousse gastronomique

Last edited by a moderator:
Larousee is a good and classic book.

I am tempted to buy a few mexican cookbooks, as I would love to get deeper into that cuisine - Bayless is a beast, and theres this other chick who seems to know her stuff.

I heard good things about TFL cookbook as well as Ad-Hoc

ALso Momofuku

i put a hold request on one of the modernist cuisine volumes from a nearby library

apparently i can request any of the volumes except the kitchen manual (the one i actually want the most)

i started with the plated dishes one because well pictures

Back