Picked up a bread maker on craigslist today for $10

A strong mixer with a dough hook would have been a better investment, much more versatile in the kitchen, not just for a variety of doughs, but anything else that needs mixing/whipping etc.

A strong mixer with a dough hook would have been a better investment, much more versatile in the kitchen, not just for a variety of doughs, but anything else that needs mixing/whipping etc.

I have a professional KitchenAid stand mixer. I'm just lazy sometimes :)

And it was only $10!

You have a Kitchenaid and you still bought a bread maker?

Wonders never cease.

I am putting mine out to stud since drastically reducing my carbohydrate intake, if it gets bad enough I may even sell it.

I don't really see why you're so taken aback.

1) It's easy. Just throw the ingredients in and turn it on.

2) It frees up the oven (and the mixer) for other things, if I'm cooking a big meal

3) It was $10!

i started making bread by using a breadmaker to mix/knead/make poolishes/etc. until i got a kitchenaid mixer

there is really nothing to be gained by letting the breadmaker bake your bread. it can never make a crispy crust, and the shape of the loaves is usually pretty annoying.

for set-it-and-forget-it doughmaking it's awesome, though, esp. something like pizza dough.

I don't really see why you're so taken aback.

1) It's easy. Just throw the ingredients in and turn it on.

2) It frees up the oven (and the mixer) for other things, if I'm cooking a big meal

3) It was $10!

Your points are all valid. Its just that I enjoy my bread a bit more than to leave a machine take care of it when I know I can do way better with minimal effort in a mixer.

When I used to eat bread :(

I miss bread :(

I wont be making any bread for at least 6 months so I threw out my sourdough starter so I can start from scratch again.

I knew, before I got the bread maker, that it would be somewhat superfluous. I really got it because I am trying to be more self-sufficient culinarily and this seemed like an easy way to start.

Back