TW gun people...

Mitchdubai

Poop
Veteran XV
Opinions on this please. One of 3 old guns in the old house we're clearing out, this one I'm sure is the oldest, the other 2 are shotguns / rifles. In need of a fair bit of restoration but could I have stumbled on something of value?

gH891UV.jpg

ds5vxUm.jpg

tNNaID8.jpg

Are you sure there are shotguns or are they black power rifles?

Post more markings.

From my experience, they look legit and not modern "fakes". So, there is that. I wouldn't rush into "cleaning them up" or "restoring" them.

Do you know if its an actual firearm or just a wall hanging? Lots of wall hangers that look exactly like a gun, but they will basically be a hand grenade if you try to fire them.

No these all look genuine and old. I'm obviously not going to attempt anything with them other than maybe taking them to an antique gun dealer to have a look at. Fortunately there is one near here so maybe in the next week or two.

This one has no visible inscriptions on it. One of the shotguns is a Calvert if that means anything.

I'll try to get some better pics and also of the other 2 guns tomorrow, bedtime here.

and that pistol appears to be missing some pieces in the firing mechanism.

It appears to be a flintlock, but its missing the top part of the hammer that holds the flint and the pan

those are pretty cool, but maybe you should have gone with some that are a little more modern if you wanted to protect your family.

Calvert made percussion/flintlock shotguns back in the day, and when i say 'the day' im talking like late 1800's. They were an english fowl shotgun, usually percussion

Mitchell - you need to at least keep them and put them on the wall in your man cavelette. You are going to have grandkids soon and you need shit like that. Just make up a story about how you used to fight pirates etc.

I'm not sure about anything, I know less than Jack shit about guns new or old. The Calvert rifle is double barrelled, the other is single but not enough light right now for a good look. Lots of pics coming tomorrow.

Wife was born in this house and her parents who died recently were both in their 90s, they inherited the house from their parents and every possibility some of the stuff here goes back even further. They are pretty beaten up so my guess would be they were used on the land here at some point way back.

Ok, so the calvert is newer, probably 1850's or up. The flintlock looks like it could be the real deal but you should look around on it for markings.

Is the calvert a side-by-side or an over/under? I've seen some calverts go for 2500-3k.

These aren't guns you sell at a pawn shop, they are guns you sell at an antique dealer or an auction

Back