[Photography] Show and Tell Spring 2011 Edition

nice to see you went to the unrestored (potentially deathly dangerous) parts of the wall. i was there the new years before last and we hiked like 10mi. i was expecting it to be pretty lame, but i was absolutely awestruck by the sheer magnitude of it and the mountains around... pretty ridiculous place.

edit: just finishing up some pictures from my trip to japan and then from seoul that i took screwing around last week while skipping class, lol. should be up sometime in the next couple days.

So I was out drinking and I keep my slim Sony Cybershot on me when I do. Drank a lot of beer and went to Waffle House:

5543177105_1895c00fd1_z.jpg

I asked for Double Bacon Serving, because the haters were hatin'.

I raise you
2010-10-05_20-15-53_126.jpg

nice to see you went to the unrestored (potentially deathly dangerous) parts of the wall. i was there the new years before last and we hiked like 10mi. i was expecting it to be pretty lame, but i was absolutely awestruck by the sheer magnitude of it and the mountains around... pretty ridiculous place.

edit: just finishing up some pictures from my trip to japan and then from seoul that i took screwing around last week while skipping class, lol. should be up sometime in the next couple days.

Yea, it's unbelievably nicer there. On the better camera I've got some pictures of our campsite inside one of the guard towers and our fire in a sort of fireplace in there. Man, it was cold as shit.

What section did you go to? (Your choices from west to east are Simatai, Jinshanling, and Gubeikou). I'm gonna guess you went to Simatai because that's got the most impressive, not dangerous climbs, and the popular day-walk used to be Jinshanling-Simatai. It's those highest peaks in the distance in the last picture.

I ask because you might be disgusted to know you can't hike Simatai anymore. We walked almost up that far on the first day before doubling back to Gubeikou in the far east.

The reason is... in typical Chinese fashion... the local government has entered into a contract with a big Chinese tourism company to over-restore the wall at Simatai, build a golf course, spa, and 5-star high-rise hotel there. In the course of doing so they've basically forced the local peasants to move out of their homes with a pittance for compensation, taking away what little livelihood they had. Of course, the ride out to Simatai is about 3 hours from the city, westerners obviously will not be interested in hiking the new Simatai or staying in the resort, and Chinese tourist culture favors the ease of access of the already plentiful over-restored sections that are only hour-long train/ bus rides from downtown Beijing. So in effect they're desecrating a world heritage site just for the hell of it.

Well, now I've gone and made myself angry...

Did you run into Karl Pilkington on the wall?
:lol: I think I did actually recognize the really rundown part where he's bitching about how mediocre it is, though. In truth, they shot it at an angle that makes it look like there's nothing there, when really it's just a spot where the wall was built utilizing a cliff, wasn't high to begin with, and is overgrown.

Last edited:
Fuuuuuuuuu... So I walk into a photography store looking for some Oriental 11x17 Glossy fiber based b&w paper and what do I see in amongst their used stuff? An older model Pentax 67 medium format camera with 4 lenses all for $1000.

Shame I am dirt poor :(

[Soooo] I went to the local junior hockey game on Tuesday night and bought $5 worth of 50/50 tickets. I had the winner and I won $3147.50. The above mentioned medium format camera is sitting on my desk along with its 4 lenses.

I am a very happy Elvis Hitler.

:boogie::boogie::boogie:

Grats :D

DSC_2729.jpg

its also through this pic that i realised my sensor was dirty :( camera's at Nikon now for cleaning as I don't have the balls to do it myself

edit: left the blemishes in there... top left corner and middle right side have splotches.

[Soooo] I went to the local junior hockey game on Tuesday night and bought $5 worth of 50/50 tickets. I had the winner and I won $3147.50. The above mentioned medium format camera is sitting on my desk along with its 4 lenses.

I am a very happy Elvis Hitler.

:boogie::boogie::boogie:

Nice one you lucky duck

Yea, it's unbelievably nicer there. On the better camera I've got some pictures of our campsite inside one of the guard towers and our fire in a sort of fireplace in there. Man, it was cold as shit.

What section did you go to? (Your choices from west to east are Simatai, Jinshanling, and Gubeikou). I'm gonna guess you went to Simatai because that's got the most impressive, not dangerous climbs, and the popular day-walk used to be Jinshanling-Simatai. It's those highest peaks in the distance in the last picture.

I ask because you might be disgusted to know you can't hike Simatai anymore. We walked almost up that far on the first day before doubling back to Gubeikou in the far east.

The reason is... in typical Chinese fashion... the local government has entered into a contract with a big Chinese tourism company to over-restore the wall at Simatai, build a golf course, spa, and 5-star high-rise hotel there. In the course of doing so they've basically forced the local peasants to move out of their homes with a pittance for compensation, taking away what little livelihood they had. Of course, the ride out to Simatai is about 3 hours from the city, westerners obviously will not be interested in hiking the new Simatai or staying in the resort, and Chinese tourist culture favors the ease of access of the already plentiful over-restored sections that are only hour-long train/ bus rides from downtown Beijing. So in effect they're desecrating a world heritage site just for the hell of it.

Well, now I've gone and made myself angry...

:lol: I think I did actually recognize the really rundown part where he's bitching about how mediocre it is, though. In truth, they shot it at an angle that makes it look like there's nothing there, when really it's just a spot where the wall was built utilizing a cliff, wasn't high to begin with, and is overgrown.

just went and checked my pictures cuz i took one of the guide map -- jinshianling.

P.S. CosmicBlend there's something alive and beautiful about your photography that I really aspire towards. The colours are processed extremely well and I like the new website. Nicely done.

Are you using single-image HDR for a lot of them? or is it mostly lighting setups with LightRoom colour presets?

Thanks I really appreciate the comments!

Some of my stuff is HDR though not much of it. I have spent a lot of time working on my color processing and knowing where I want to go with a photo. I used to use quite a bit of Lightroom Presets, but really anymore I don't use them hardly at all. Most of my stuff now is a mix of Photoshop Curves/Levels and Lightroom + Nik Plugins..

Some really nice shots here.

I like the 2 pic of the wharf even if the birds aren't around.

I like the shot of the glass on the bar.

I really liked the shot of the beer stein w/ the light doing it's thing to the shadow.

Elvis you lucky fuck.

I love me some bacon but bacon vodka...I grimace thinking about it...

Well our work "pet croc" mascot is back.

The view from our car park.
or5lc7.jpg

Thats one of our office buildings over the other side.
2j5aq0j.jpg

The view from directly above him.
2u59pg3.jpg

My video of the croc being darted to make it easy to catch.

Local News usage of my video.

Last edited:
Back