Dr. Ron Paul was the top House Republican earmark recipient in the omnibus. by Dumpy Dooby - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Dr. Ron Paul was the top House Republican earmark recipient in the omnibus.
Page 1 of 3
Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
1 - 03-09-2009, 21:31
Ron Paul , R-Texas, who touted his fiscal conservatism in his bid for the GOP presidential nomination last year, was the top House Republican earmark recipient in the omnibus. Paul, who routinely votes against spending measures, got $73.7 million in earmarks, according to Taxpayers for Common Sense.
Spoiler

These are the earmarks he requested back in April of '08. I'm not sure what actually went through.

Spoiler

Ron Paul is the best damn politician, ever.

Sponsored Links
KnightMare
VeteranX
Old
2 - 03-09-2009, 21:50
shrimp farmers need to eat too

Seraphim
Veteran5
Old
3 - 03-09-2009, 21:52
I'm normally fairly anti-earmark but those are some noteworthy causes he is supporting there. If the money is going to be thrown around with no actual care, might as well throw it at well-intentioned programs.

well played Paul. I hope to god he runs in 2012

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
4 - 03-09-2009, 21:52
omnibus sounds like some sort of transformer

arcadus
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 03-09-2009, 21:59
he's a doctor

Kizzak
VeteranXV
Old
6 - 03-09-2009, 22:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seraphim View Post
I'm normally fairly anti-earmark but those are some noteworthy causes he is supporting there. If the money is going to be thrown around with no actual care, might as well throw it at well-intentioned programs.

well played Paul. I hope to god he runs in 2012
If you look at a lot of what earmarks are they are 'well-intentioned programs'

Out of the top 10 earmarks mccain *****ed about:

1.7 million for pig odor research (Why study pig odor?: Scientific American)

2 million for astronomy in Hawaii (where we have one of the more important observatories)

650k for beaver management (aka making sure beavers don't **** up our infrastructure by rerouting rivers)

1 million for mormon cricket control (spending money trying to control pests is generally a good idea)

1.7 million for a honey bee factory (rebuilding hives after colony collapse disorder decimated the honey bee stock in the country is vital for our agriculture industry)

2.1 million for grape genetics (identifying genes that make crops disease and pest-resistant is generally a good thing)

200k for gang tattoo removal (***8220;It helps people who want to get out of the gang life,***8221; Ordelheide [chief of san fernando police] said, adding that the program was ***8220;important.***8221;

***8220;It reduces attacks***8221; and causes a ***8220;reduction in gang rivalry,***8221; he added. ***8220;$200,000 is a good investment if we can save lives.***8221;)

That's 70% of the most ludicrous programs that McCain could come up with yet arguably they are all 'well-intentioned'

fwiw, I ran some numbers on the spreadsheet from taxpayers for common sense (that was horribly out of date btw, they had representatives listed that were voted out in 2006) - paul wound up in the top 50 out of all members of the house of representatives in terms of total earmarks requested. He was definitely in the top 5 for republicans requesting earmarks and #1 in Texas.

It's a little deceptive in that a large number of earmarks are often requested by multiple congressmen - but I figured it was an acceptable analytical perspective since I stayed consistent and counted every congressman that way.

JerryGarcia
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
7 - 03-09-2009, 22:49
He represents an area that was hit pretty hard by Ike

but some of those the feds don't really have any business getting involved in

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
8 - 03-09-2009, 22:54
I'm a bit disappointed in the doctor after looking these over.

HaPpY
VeteranXX
Old
9 - 03-09-2009, 23:05
i propose an earmark reform:

any earmark requests must be matched by that congressman's state or district budget. if you want a few million for turkey masterbation research, you better cough up half the bill and face the judgment of your own constituency.

Benzer
VeteranXV
Old
10 - 03-09-2009, 23:17
The politicians thumb through these things and have no ****ing idea what any of them are.

"Fruit fly research, can you believe that?!"

-raven-
VeteranX
Old
11 - 03-09-2009, 23:24
Probably 98% of the money "spent" in earmarks (it isn't actually additional money spent, it just specifies where money must be spent on already passed budgets) are on things that almost nobody is going to disagree with. Of the remaining, most of it is **** some people will disagree with but isn't all that controversial. A tiny fraction of the money is spent on the Palm Grove Museum of Bovine Anal Polyps. I guess its really easy to get stupid people to believe that every dollar the government spends is being spent on programs like that. It is sad that some politicians, like one of the presidential candidates from the last election, have built their career on raging over it.

Durak
VeteranXV
Old
12 - 03-09-2009, 23:25
yeah

and something called 'volcano monitoring'

why the **** do u want to monitor volcanos

when was the last time a natural disaster killed ANYONE??????

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
13 - 03-09-2009, 23:26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durak View Post
when was the last time a natural disaster killed ANYONE??????
?

Dumpy Dooby
VeteranX
Old
14 - 03-09-2009, 23:27
He voted against the bill, though, because he is against pork barrel spending. He's definitely the most upstanding politician alive today.

Durak
VeteranXV
Old
15 - 03-09-2009, 23:28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayn View Post
?
what is that

some clouds??

what do clouds have to do with volcanos?????????

-raven-
VeteranX
Old
16 - 03-09-2009, 23:29
I can't believe we wasted all that money on hurricane monitoring

Rayn
Tribalwar Admin
Contributor
Old
17 - 03-09-2009, 23:29
um volcanos make clouds bro

Durak
VeteranXV
Old
18 - 03-09-2009, 23:30
rayn is so angsty

mjoe
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 03-09-2009, 23:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadus View Post
he's a doctor

Kizzak
VeteranXV
Old
20 - 03-09-2009, 23:53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumpy Dooby View Post
He voted against the bill, though, because he is against pork barrel spending. He's definitely the most upstanding politician alive today.
he's not the only individual to load the bill with pork and then vote against it

It's easy to say you are against something when you can take advantage of it and then pretend it's not your fault.

There are, iirc, a couple republicans that requested zero earmarks. They are the ones I can respect for having the political courage to follow through on their beliefs

Page 1 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Dr. Ron Paul was the top House Republican earmark recipient in the omnibus.

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
ron paul