Fantasy/Sci-fi Book recommendations revisited

yeah the writing style is hard to get used to.

i hate stopping something after ive started so ill finish it but the story is definitely lacking compared to the other recommendations in this thread.

They are not amazing or anything. They are just noteworthy cause they are one of the few series where people actually die and stay dead.

They are not amazing or anything. They are just noteworthy cause they are one of the few series where people actually die and stay dead.

oh like

Spoiler

edit:lol oops

Currently reading the Night's Dawn Trilogy by Peter F. Hamilton which is crazy long and reminds me a lot of the culture novels by Iain M Banks.

I finished Nights Dawn a couple of months ago. It was pretty good, the ending left a bit to be desired but you can judge that for yourself when you finally get there :lol:

how is the stuff peddled here anywhere near martins asoif. i keep trying the recs here and come up empty.

so far ive listened to first of that malazan series, way of kings, altered carbon -> broken angels -> woken furies, and now snow crash.

oh and whoever trolled me into listening to snow crash gets an award. that was p good. snow crash is probably the worst book i have ever read (listened to) as an adult. it was terrible and i almost powered through it.

okay so, black company
Spoiler

how is the stuff peddled here anywhere near martins asoif. i keep trying the recs here and come up empty.

so far ive listened to first of that malazan series, way of kings, altered carbon -> broken angels -> woken furies, and now snow crash.

oh and whoever trolled me into listening to snow crash gets an award. that was p good. snow crash is probably the worst book i have ever read (listened to) as an adult. it was terrible and i almost powered through it.

Raymond E Fiest - Magician
Magician | The Official Raymond E. Feist Website

Go read that

just starting malazan book3, liked b1 alot and b2 was ok, does the series get much better/worse as it goes?

snow crash was a great read, with entertaining/novel ideas like pizza-delivery mafia, elite hackers with ninja swords doing battle online, girls on skateboards talking shit as they harpoon from car to car down the freeway, a chinatown syndicate with robot dogs as the worlds best defense..

enders game is as good as asoif imo, and it has the added bonus of giving you a conclusion.

takeshi kovacs reads like a comic book to me and i like that, but after a couple of reads its getting stale. im halfway thru starship troopers and find it super boring/preachy.

cryptonomicon was super convoluted and went no where imo. if i want to be confused i think i prefer gaiman over stephenson, gaiman is lighter and more entertaining

Last edited:
snowcrash probably read a lot better back in the RADICAL D00D SK8BOARDIN H4CK3R TUBULAR VIRTUAL REALITY RISC PROCESSOR days of the early/mid 90s

it's still p awesome if you read it in that context

snow crash was a great read, with entertaining/novel ideas like pizza-delivery mafia, elite hackers with ninja swords doing battle online, girls on skateboards talking shit as they harpoon from car to car down the freeway, a chinatown syndicate with robot dogs as the worlds best defense..

enders game is as good as asoif imo, and it has the added bonus of giving you a conclusion.

takeshi kovacs reads like a comic book to me and i like that, but after a couple of reads its getting stale. im halfway thru starship troopers and find it super boring/preachy.

cryptonomicon was super convoluted and went no where imo. if i want to be confused i think i prefer gaiman over stephenson, gaiman is lighter and more entertaining

i didnt find cryptonomicon convoluted at all

Spoiler

diamond age on the otherhand i couldnt recommend

Heinlein is a master, no doubt about it.

Just picked up Altered Carbon by Morgan. So far it's pretty good, although I usually can't stand books written in 1st person.

. There's no reason to lower standards so far just to stay in a genre. Should not have to lower standards much given there are a billion books out there.

I'm not saying the writing should be on par with the catch22 or brothers karamazov, but the story should at least be rich, and not make your eyes roll every other paragraph.

The loyalty to poor books for the sake of the genre is making me think there's fanboi'ism obfuscating judgement.

I retire from this thread lest I end up reading the sn0w cr4sh 2.0

Just finished Unclean by Richard lee byars- it's interesting if you've read the recent drizzt series by Salvatore, it's the first book about szass tam's rise to power in thay. It reads a lot like a Salvatore novel too, good for a quick read

Back