[another photo thrd] creative lighting

well shit. my sb-600 just aint cutting it anymore.

this is what i got w/ the 600 + a cheap 5/1 reflector

pucks.jpg

shit, right? passable maybe on flickr, but i know its shit. from what i can tell that shot in particular needs a kicker + some fill.

suggestions for upgrades? sb-900 worth $450? i need at least two + stands/clamps

Last edited:
the pucks are just props guys, im shooting a family sometime this month and im trying to figure out proper lighting. unfortunately im failing because you really need at least two lights min. and i have one :/

im going to try some tests w/ the sun as my key today, whatever

Last edited:
Why not get a video/film lighting kit? Lots of guys are using those as cameras are now including video options.. also opens up that door for you..

not as powerful unless you're lugging huge hollywood-type lights around

also do a shitload of events so thats why im kinda gravitating more towards (portable) speedlights

You're testing out lighting for a family shoot and you think doing a close shot of two pucks is the most comparable distance and size?

all that matters in lighting is apparent size

its why the sun doesn't look as massive as it really is during the day

learn physics

all that matters in lighting is apparent size

its why the sun doesn't look as massive as it really is during the day

learn physics

The effects that lighting has on the human figure, particlarly a face, are far different from that of the smooth surface and simple shape of a fucking puck.

Learn common sense.

um yes.. but i already know how to do that. the issue at hand is that an sb-600 just doesn't have the kick to bounce off a reflector to create the fill you need to light the face. this you can test with a puck. (see the P? that's your fill.)

using the sun as a main should work if you place that speedlight correctly...you have diffusors right?

also, while the lighting is incorrect in the OP pic i like it. i think with a bit of vingetting and some grit it could be a really cool pic (post process of course)

HARTFORD WHALERS

falcons were their farm team for a year or two

then they switched to the coyotes for some reason :shrug:

using the sun as a main should work if you place that speedlight correctly...you have diffusors right?

I have almost no lighting equip, its pretty sad and im just now getting to where I should be. Fortunately my reflector acts as a diffuser.. but thats just gonna KILL the output vs. the sun, right?

the pucks are just props guys, im shooting a family sometime this month and im trying to figure out proper lighting. unfortunately im failing because you really need at least two lights min. and i have one :/

im going to try some tests w/ the sun as my key today, whatever

Is the family black?

Back