Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Car Thread] Diesel?
Page 2 of 6
bam
VeteranXV
Old
21 - 09-01-2014, 13:04
I've heard the BMW 335d is pretty sweet.

Sponsored Links
Oenone
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
22 - 09-01-2014, 14:11
I wish people would do the math for how much they will actually save going to a higher mpg car.

In this case, 100 mile commute. 500 miles a week, 52 weeks a year = 26000 miles.
I am going to give you the benefit of driving another 9000 on the weekends. So 35000 miles a year. That is a lot of miles, so cut in half the numbers below for normal driving.

Current - 27 mpg = 1296 gallons a year at 3.80 per gallon means $4924 a year on gas.

The highest mpg diesel is 42mpg, but you will get more like 34 or so average. Lets do both.

42 mpg = 833 gallons at $4 a gallon means $3333 a year

34 mpg = 1029 gallons at $4 a gallon means $4116 a year

Lets throw in a good Hybrid.
50 mpg = 700 gallons at $ 3.8 a gallon means $ 2660

So now you are paying $4924, the best you can do is $2660. Saving you $2200 a year. Your diesel will save you between $800 and $1500 a year. Is it worth buying a car just to get better gas mileage? The increase of insurance and taxes will eat in to that savings also. If you need a new car, any new non sport cars get over 30mpg. The difference between 27 and 50 isn't really that significant to justify driving a ****ing PRIUS.

Esteban_Villa
VeteranXV
Old
23 - 09-01-2014, 14:33
yah but the environment

Osiris
VeteranXV
Old
24 - 09-01-2014, 15:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oenone View Post
I wish people would do the math for how much they will actually save going to a higher mpg car.

In this case, 100 mile commute. 500 miles a week, 52 weeks a year = 26000 miles.
I am going to give you the benefit of driving another 9000 on the weekends. So 35000 miles a year. That is a lot of miles, so cut in half the numbers below for normal driving.

Current - 27 mpg = 1296 gallons a year at 3.80 per gallon means $4924 a year on gas.

The highest mpg diesel is 42mpg, but you will get more like 34 or so average. Lets do both.

42 mpg = 833 gallons at $4 a gallon means $3333 a year

34 mpg = 1029 gallons at $4 a gallon means $4116 a year

Lets throw in a good Hybrid.
50 mpg = 700 gallons at $ 3.8 a gallon means $ 2660

So now you are paying $4924, the best you can do is $2660. Saving you $2200 a year. Your diesel will save you between $800 and $1500 a year. Is it worth buying a car just to get better gas mileage? The increase of insurance and taxes will eat in to that savings also. If you need a new car, any new non sport cars get over 30mpg. The difference between 27 and 50 isn't really that significant to justify driving a ****ing PRIUS.
eh ok, so if youre gonna buy a new car.
you should just buy a petrol car because youre only gonna save about 1500 dollars if you buy a diesel one?
am i understanding you right?

dont get me wrong if you really want x car but its not available as diesel, but come on

Oenone
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
25 - 09-01-2014, 15:56
What I am saying is the difference between 30 and 50 mpg is 2200 dollars a year, and that's if you drive a lot of miles. Normal driving is only 12000 miles a year, so at most you will saving is around 750 year and stuck driving a hybrid prius or the like. To me its worth it to drive the car that I want. If you want to drive a hybrid or diesel to save a couple bucks fine, just don't think you will be rolling in money from the fuel savings.

Osiris
VeteranXV
Old
26 - 09-01-2014, 16:03
ok i guess diesel is not an option on most car models in the US then

here pretty much any car is available as diesel if you want

DocHolliday
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
27 - 09-01-2014, 19:20
Diesel never really took off here. Every time there is an oil scare of prices jump a few new diesels hit the market, but never really go far.

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
28 - 09-01-2014, 19:28
Diesel cars were hard to get in ca for a while because of particulate matter and other issues associated with diesel 2. Diesel 3 and cleaner engines have brought more to market in ca.

Veniggs
VeteranXV
Old
29 - 09-01-2014, 19:31
good to know commie

MC Hamster
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
30 - 09-01-2014, 19:55
Depends on what you have available.. the Hyundai R series diesel is a brilliant motor which plenty of reviewers have said is a superior engine to anything in its class out of Europe.

That said, I have no idea whether they even offer them in the US.. No-one seems to care about diesel there.. guess it's just 'coz petrol is so damn cheap there.

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
31 - 09-01-2014, 20:19
So I bought a 2015 Golf TDI 6 speed manual.

/thread

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
32 - 09-01-2014, 20:21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorlax View Post
I also own a Renault diesel, wanna be friend???

Pushed mine to 1 254KM before filling up
I have a GT megane hatch - it's pretty sweet but hard to keep the white leather clean

I used to have the top model Latitude sedan but in petrol - nice cars

Lets be friends

Fuel economy aside - diesels are much better if you tow things

Torque ftw

Last edited by ArakAtak; 09-01-2014 at 20:30..
jjwtay
VeteranXV
Old
33 - 09-01-2014, 20:58
We own an electric car but we didn't buy it for the environment and actually not for gas savings either really. Mainly it was b/c my wifes car died and i was drunk. That said it's been a fun 4 months. Flat out fastest car on the road seems to get no matter what I do +80 miles per charge and an avg of 110. Overall would drink and buy again.

DocHolliday
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
34 - 09-01-2014, 21:10
Driving a Tesla eh?

Seeing a ton of them on the road here in the Chicago area the past year.

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
35 - 09-01-2014, 21:32
Fun fact: the Tesla factory is the old nummi plant which was a joint operation between GM and Toyota. IIRC it was the only unionized Toyota plant in the US.

It was bought by Tesla after GM went bankrupt.

bam
VeteranXV
Old
36 - 09-01-2014, 23:09
Teslas are great cars if you never have to live your city.

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
37 - 09-01-2014, 23:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam View Post
Teslas are great cars if you never have to live your city.
standard battery pack is 200 mile range. not great, but that's a little over a half tank of gas in my car. longest commute I've ever had was 45 miles one way, so 200 miles would do in that case even with the occasional extended side trip.

and there's this:
Supercharger | Tesla Motors

edit:
and this is pretty cool as well. don't know if they have any up and running in the wild.
http://www.teslamotors.com/batteryswap

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
38 - 09-02-2014, 00:53
Feeling pretty good about my hasty purchase. Unfortunately I won't get it for a few weeks. Hard to find manuals apparently and dealers with them in stock won't let them go. Probably could have found one sooner but **** shopping.

Quote:
I drove each car 120 miles in light traffic on I-75. I set the cruise-control to 65 m.p.h. and left it there except for brief corrections for construction or traffic.

The results:

Golf TDI: 54.5 m.p.g.
If I get anywhere near the 45 epa hwy rating I'll be stoked but 50+ will be ****ing amazing.

cogzinofa
VeteranXV
Old
39 - 09-02-2014, 01:09
you should do the bio diesel so you'll smell like a deep fryer instead of a trucker.

ArakAtak
VeteranXX
Old
40 - 09-02-2014, 07:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjwtay View Post
We own an electric car but we didn't buy it for the environment and actually not for gas savings either really. Mainly it was b/c my wifes car died and i was drunk. That said it's been a fun 4 months. Flat out fastest car on the road seems to get no matter what I do +80 miles per charge and an avg of 110. Overall would drink and buy again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
Driving a Tesla eh?

Seeing a ton of them on the road here in the Chicago area the past year.
Could be a Nissan Leaf

unbelievably fast - for the first 10 meters Great cars though if you only go to work and back an hour or so a day.

Page 2 of 6

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Car Thread] Diesel?

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
lemon licked my butthole