Tribes : Ascend

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I read somewhere that Hi Rez was a bit overwhelmed by the response to their acquiring the tribes IP and wanting to make a new Tribes game. Whether you are an LT guy, base guy, whatever, I think they realized people want the tribes multiplayer experience. So they decide last minute to do this Tribes Ascend which will be separate from Tribes Universe? That alone makes me realize even Hi Rez doesn't quite get it. Maybe this Ascend thing is their attempt to get it right based on feedback. I hope they realize if Ascend hits the sweet spot I doubt Tribes Universe is going to go anywhere. They figure Tribes would be a good IP to turn into an MMO. What they dont get is that there are a tons of MMO games that would be vastly better then a Tribes MMO. If everyone is playing Ascend assuming its good who is going to play a Tribes MMO?

They do have an opportunity here to feed a need. It looks like firefall will be good, but it will definitely not include skiing. I do find it humerous that after 10+ years we are still waiting for someone to just make a good successor to T1/T2. I will admit that video looked good so far. I like the art direction. The shazbot etched in the armor all those little things give me some positive feelings about the game. The gameplay is the big question.

Last edited:
The old school tribes base is dwindling and irrelevant, they are hoping to appeal to a whole new class of customer these days with the MMO...they don't give much of a shit about people crying about a game that is 10+ years old now (most of whom have since grown up and have lives...and won't spend 20 hours a week trumpeting how awesome it is, and even if they did, new people to the franchise would never relate anyway).

Let the idea go that "if they recreate the T1 feel, everything else is pointless" The old T1 feel is way over the head of 90% of today's gamers and has little in common with popular FPS playstyles these days. The way they are going to be successful is integrating the IP with today's gamer's idea of what an FPS is, and expanding on that slightly....not by digging up a dead horse to try to beat it for the 400th time.

So help me understand why you think the existence of a xbox client automatically presumes the PC version has to be awful?

Because the majority of fps console players are knuckle dragging heathens that won't appreciate the game. They're used to shit games like HALO. I'm sorry but HALO is a completely unimpressive game from pretty much every point of view except sales. Console players will not appreciate the speed and dynamic play that Tribes is. They're used to corridor shooters with auto aim features and inferior controls. They'll want it slowed down because their shitty controllers simply won't be able to keep up with the demands of a game like Tribes.

I own a console. They have their purposes. Fighting games, driving games and a hand full of others are all solid and made to shine on my PS3. Shooters, however, are vastly inferior on any console platform and I don't NOT want to see our last hoorah shit on because of the accountants and marketing douche bags saying they need to make our game on the XBox. Fuck that and fuck them.

tribes was an accident

skiing and the freedom of movement was never intended, the devs never 'got it', so they never lost their way

apparently something that simple is lost on everyone who's made tribes games since then

(@nofix)
As for the console port = has to be bad i don't exactly get this. As long as mouse+wasd works as expected then i'm not sure what you mean by 'dumbed down'. Tribes 1 wasn't 'complex' from a control stand point. The most complex system was the voice command system which while i think still has a place however VoIP is superior in everyway and even fits the lore of the suit better. you can't tell me those suits wouldn't have voice links.

So now we're down to 1-5 for fast weapon switching (or mousewheel for those of us who spent 90% of our time rocking chain/disc/laser), wasd+space for movement, button 1 to fire, button 2 for jet (or however you set yours up), a button for mine and or nade.

This isnt exactly a complex setup of buttons/axis right? Oh, i forgot a button for push to talk if you use that.

So help me understand why you think the existence of a xbox client automatically presumes the PC version has to be awful?

Scripting and modding will suffer - which is and always will be a PC FPS thing. There will most likely be achievements, which has no place in Tribes, but since they have to now cater to the console demographic, here we go. Then we have the dumb-downed gameplay, which, T:V is a good example of how dumbing down gameplay can make the overall Tribes style gameplay suffer. I found T:V fun in short bursts, but not as a Tribes game, and it had no longevity.

Legions was a PC game with no scripting ( for the most part ), no modding, no mapping, etc. It died relatively fast within the Tribes community. Even though it had most of what makes Tribes interesting. Tribes was / is all about the modding, scripting and mapping. It's what's allowed both iterations of the game to last 10+ years now.

I suppose they could have a system that disallows xbox players from interacting from modded PC builds. I don't see an elaborate system from a ho-hum developer, but we'll see I guess.

The old school tribes base is dwindling and irrelevant, they are hoping to appeal to a whole new class of customer these days with the MMO...they don't give much of a shit about people crying about a game that is 10+ years old now (most of whom have since grown up and have lives...and won't spend 20 hours a week trumpeting how awesome it is, and even if they did, new people to the franchise would never relate anyway).

If thats the case then why are they doing this Tribes Ascend in the first place? I think they are going to try and capture the essence of T2C gameplay with Ascend. Apparently they do read user feedback. Otherwise whats the point. They did get overwhelmed by the responses after they aquired the IP. They never planned on doing this Ascend thing when they first aquired the IP. It was all about Tribes Universe. So why the sudden decision to do this Ascend thing? Dont get me wrong Im not one that says everything must be LT. Im for some new in Tribes, but I hope they stick to the essential that made T1/T2 such a blast. I wouldnt want Tribes to be some ground hugger MMO with tons of different weapons, armors and hats. Tribes isnt planetside or TF2. I'm hoping Tribes Universe is at least going to be an MMOFPS. When people say MMO I dont think they realize what they are saying. MMOFPS might be cool. a Tribes MMO? wtf.

Last edited:
tribes was an accident

skiing and the freedom of movement was never intended, the devs never 'got it', so they never lost their way

apparently something that simple is lost on everyone who's made tribes games since then

qft

Well, thanks B-Man for that link. I've now given up hope.

“It’s very important that the developers understand all the nuances. Especially the first two Tribes, they had a lot of intricate gameplay, with the sensors, and sensor jamming, and the cloaking, and the generator. You don’t really get exposed to that until you get deeper into the game,” Larkins said. “Each of the previous Tribes games has strengths.”

“Our aim is that we take the spirit of Tribes 1, the depth of Tribes 2, the accessibility of Tribes Vengeance, and iterate on that,” Larkins said. “If you have to put us as a game we’re closest to at the moment in terms of our design, it’s definitely Tribes 2.” Aspects like moving via skis and ramps

I hope they adhere to strict coding standards and allow for easy modding and customization. Sloppy coding ruined T:V.

Well, thanks B-Man for that link. I've now given up hope.

I assume its going to be similar to T2C which is fine by me. The accessibility TV thing dont know what to think about that.

“There are all kinds of people on line who have posted really amazing algorithms on how to recreate the (skiing) bug that was in Tribes 1 because Tribes 2, ‘did it completely wrong,’” Larkins said.

Let me guess..

Last edited:
I was hoping they would have made Tribes Ascend within Tribes Universe.

Maybe they'll find some way to merge the two.

I was hoping they would have made Tribes Ascend within Tribes Universe.

Maybe they'll find some way to merge the two.

Thats what I'm confused about. Ok Ascend is a Tribes multiplayer successor. Tribes Universe is.... what an MMO or an MMOFPS or something else?

Thats what I'm confused about. Ok Ascend is a Tribes multiplayer successor. Tribes Universe is.... what an MMO or an MMOFPS or something else?

They're probably scared to really hose things up so they're going to cut their teeth on a standard fps, tweak it, see what works and what doesn't then move on to the larger scale game.

cool instrumental track in this video...ended up installing Shazam on my phone to find out who it was...if anyone cares it's

Explosions in the Sky
track = your hand in mine

grabbed a couple of their albums and it's relaxing as all hell. Love this type of stuff.

TLDR if you like Mogwai you'll like these dudes
Tell me what the music in this video is from while you're at it:

:cheers:

?B-Man T:U is supposed to be an MMOFPS like Global Agenda which you can try for free. Speaking of GA, I think it does seem like an ok tribes environment which is a good start for both games. I leveled to 50 and actually enjoyed it, although I haven't touched it since.

Last edited:
@nofix

as i recall the mapping for tribes 1 sucked huge cocks. apart from the (6 or so?) default maps add another 3 or so that were decent community maps in how many years?

sorry but mapping was not a strong point of tribes1.

scripting ... like what? alot of scripting that i used, apart from happymod, was for convenience. stuff that could have been made better to begin with.

t:v's gameplay was fine. it wasn't any smarter or any dumber than tribes. ffs dude its CTF with Z axis movement, 3 armor types, and some packs. the gameplay for tribes was never some crazy rocket science in fact it was conceptually fairly simple. the depth of the gameplay resided in the accident that was skiing.

t:v died because most of the launch maps were terrible along with other missing features and pretty piss poor netcode along with the irrational basically telling us to go fuck ourselves in terms of post sale support the community gave up before the game had a chance.

i will agree that scripting is important for modders and wanna be game developers or douche cunts that want to find flaws in the client or server to create ways of DoSn servers when they get kicked for being whiny little shit stains ...

but scripting in and of itself is unimportant if the game is actively supported and is on the whole a solid product. a high quality map editor though would be a great thing to have as well as a linux dedicated server. again iirc t:v had neither of these at launch.

its still Unreal 3 they would have to do a lot to block access to the backend shit on the pc right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back