Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Tribes : Ascend
Page 30 of 2009
Legend
VeteranXX
Old
581 - 03-14-2011, 11:11
It is impossible to make a game for the existing Tribes 'demographic'. Not only is said demographic extremely small and hardly worth catering to in the first place, but also it is possibly the most fickle and divided community imaginable. If a publisher were to try and conjure up the worst group to develop for from the deepest, darkest depths of their imagination it still wouldn't be as bad as the Tribes community.

Like I said earlier on in this thread, there're just as many people who want T2 base as there are who want T1 ***8212; and then you've got those who were quite fond of T2 classic. It's impossible to please all these groups because the playing styles are completely at odds. If you want to know what happens when you try, see T:V.

I dearly hope this new Tribes game manages to attract and make happy a new group of people, because it has no chance in hell of quenching this place's thirst for something that can't ever exist.

Sponsored Links
DropSquad
VeteranXV
Old
582 - 03-14-2011, 11:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by oDDable View Post
I think the thing that will be missing is the "I don't care about my points" aspect of the game. Points and K/D is such a massive and retarded part of FPS these days that there is just no way they are not going to include that, and I think it really hurts the game, especially a game like Tribes where teamwork is the only thing that matters.
^

NoFiX
VeteranXV
Old
583 - 03-14-2011, 11:18
The key ingredient to success among the Tribes and Tribes 2 crowd is user-content support; Scripting, Modding and Mapping. If user content is abolished in favor of the console derivative, and the game ends up sucking, well, who's going to fix it?

If they support those key features, decent artwork and models, it could be the ****tiest Tribes game yet, but the community could always 'fix' it. And since it will be an 'official' product, the support will be there long enough to earn a following.

Legend
VeteranXX
Old
584 - 03-14-2011, 11:33
I can't see it getting much of a following if it doesn't work from launch. It's true that T2 had a lot of user-led effort put into it and that probably opened it up to people who wouldn't have otherwise played it (read: T1 fans), but T2 was in itself an excellent game from launch in the opinions of many and amassed a huge following from pretty much day one — tens of thousands of people who weren't the slightest bit interested in T2 classic. I remember the T2 base player count being fairly huge even years later.

ChewSpitt
Banned
Old
585 - 03-14-2011, 11:36
I can't believe I actually read all 30 pages of this...lol. I can't believe its 2011 and the "this was better than this" argument is still around. ****, some of you are quite ****ing pathetic.

edit:relavent
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9EhvDAMjWc

Last edited by ChewSpitt; 03-14-2011 at 11:41..
NoFiX
VeteranXV
Old
586 - 03-14-2011, 11:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriky View Post
I can't see it getting much of a following if it doesn't work from launch. It's true that T2 had a lot of user-led effort put into it and that probably opened it up to people who wouldn't have otherwise played it (read: T1 fans), but T2 was in itself an excellent game from launch in the opinions of many and amassed a huge following from pretty much day one — tens of thousands of people who weren't the slightest bit interested in T2 classic. I remember the T2 base player count being fairly huge even years later.
Can't help but agree. I think T2 base was a great sequel, minus the jello. T2 classic did nothing for the game in my opinion. However, the scripting, modding and mapping community still drive the playerbase. You have Defense Turret for cheat protection and now Tribes Next for masters.

Either way, to deny the community the accolade it deserves is silly. Just give the franchise what it deserves, and I'll shutup.

Vir
VeteranXV
Old
587 - 03-14-2011, 11:46
The game has to inspire someone to actually play it when the free demo/beta/whatever is out, we're not even to the buying it stage yet. That is where 100% of their effort should be and no, people are not sitting around in other communities going "You know that new Tribes game doesn't look all that great but since you can mod it I'll start playing".

If they have extra time for it great, but if the release suffers 1% it's not worth it. If the release is a success the people who have to have it a certain way will get the stuff they need.

Last edited by Vir; 03-14-2011 at 11:52..
NoFiX
VeteranXV
Old
588 - 03-14-2011, 11:55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vir View Post
The game has to inspire someone to actually play it when the free demo/beta/whatever is out, we're not even to the buying it stage yet. That is where 100% of their effort should be and no, people are not sitting around in other communities going "You know that new Tribes game doesn't look all that great but since you can mod it I'll start playing".

If they have extra time for it great, but if the release suffers 1% it's not worth it.
Ignorance. The idea is that modding lends itself to unofficial support. You allow modding, you allow an endless stream of content to your game. Perhaps the next TF2 will come from Tribes:Ascend?

Either way, you're a dunce.

Eggi
VeteranXX
Old
589 - 03-14-2011, 11:57
can we do a side by side comparison of this thread and the original t:v thread and see how many posts are exactly the same?

Vir
VeteranXV
Old
590 - 03-14-2011, 11:57
unofficial support for 300 some people every night, that's what we're trying to prevent here.

NoFiX
VeteranXV
Old
591 - 03-14-2011, 12:01
They have plenty of examples of what not to do.

Look at Legions, look at T:V. Two games that exhibited Tribes characteristics, yet failed on implementation: they both lacked modding, scripting and mapping. Legions was even free.

Legend
VeteranXX
Old
592 - 03-14-2011, 12:02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggi View Post
can we do a side by side comparison of this thread and the original t:v thread and see how many posts are exactly the same?
The only way this game can succeed is if Hi-Res ignore the **** out of this community and just develop the Tribes game they want to develop. You know, creative vision and all that. They are presumably Tribes 2 fans otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the bother of acquiring the license, so they should know what to do. I know what I'd do if I had the license: make T2 base minus the things that irritated me.

Irrational made the mistake of giving a **** about what TW think and look where that got them. Of course there are ironically people on TW who think it's not listening to them that made the game suck.

NoFiX
VeteranXV
Old
593 - 03-14-2011, 12:06
Who did Irrational listen to? I'm curious who wanted that piece of ****. They need to be banned.

Aldaron
VeteranX
Old
594 - 03-14-2011, 12:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vir View Post
If they have extra time for it great, but if the release suffers 1% it's not worth it.
That's not a situation that exists. The tools that they would release are almost the same as the tools they used to create the game, with the possible exception of any licensed third-party tools like SpeedTree. They would not have to spend additional development time creating editors. At the very most they would have to recompile a few things to fix glaring bugs that plagued them throughout development (and were not that large of an issue for a small team but would be in the hands of thousands) or remove/change significant features like Kismet/Terrain for whatever extremely unlikely reason.

Last edited by Aldaron; 03-14-2011 at 12:12..
Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
595 - 03-14-2011, 12:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriky View Post
The only way this game can succeed is if Hi-Res ignore the **** out of this community and just develop the Tribes game they want to develop. You know, creative vision and all that. They are presumably Tribes 2 fans otherwise they wouldn't have gone to the bother of acquiring the license, so they should know what to do. I know what I'd do if I had the license: make T2 base minus the things that irritated me.

Irrational made the mistake of giving a **** about what TW think and look where that got them. Of course there are ironically people on TW who think it's not listening to them that made the game suck.
You're an idiot.

untouchable
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
596 - 03-14-2011, 12:13
So what's the deal w/ this game?

Kerosene31
VeteranXV
Old
597 - 03-14-2011, 12:14
If the game is fun and not buggy, people will play it. It really is that simple.

Vir
VeteranXV
Old
598 - 03-14-2011, 12:15
Been awhile since we've had fun and not buggy

NoFiX
VeteranXV
Old
599 - 03-14-2011, 12:17
buggy can produce results. skiing was a bug, right? or was it?

Fool
Whiny BitchX
Contributor
Old
600 - 03-14-2011, 12:18
Just so long as they remember that mobility is what sets tribes apart from other FPS' I'd be happy. No sluggish physics, no "must-use" vehicles, and no grabbler.

Page 30 of 2009

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Tribes : Ascend

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
35 psi , animal approves , ascend means more shrikes , austrians , badmofo is a big fucking deal , better graphics without t1 , bf3 blows goats , blitz is a cyberathlete , conspiracy , constraints = creativity , dare play tribe , derp , fuzzy is best tribe player , grapple , kill obibun's dad please , loadout fail , loafting , look i added some tags , moar mortar plz , obibun taint licker , odio is a fucking retard , odio is fucking a retard , phase 12 , primers , raaaaape~wdeath , targeting laser ftw , the enemy is raping our base , the tao of tribe , this game will succeed , tits:ass , tribes 4 will be fun , tribes: ass end , unreal engine fail , vab nothing left to prove , ze balls make it gay