Wanted to ask the community about this: do you want a ton of new players, yes/no?

Wanted to ask the community about this: do you want new players? More info inside

Ok, quick intro, been playing tribes since it came out wayyyy back when, it's still my favorite FPS of all time. I run a youtube channel with a lot of subscribers, it's mainly gaming videos ranging from FPS to rhythm games to platformers and so on. Most of my recent videos have been of somewhat unknown games, older games, trying to introduce them to people who may have never heard about them or forgot about them.

Lots of people nowadays though don't know about this game, and even with the 1.40 beta being leaked servers barely have anyone in them most of the time.

What I want to do is make a few instructional + gameplay videos of how to play tribes (first just for base, and then for the more popular mods also). I'm a decent tribes player, not the best though, so these will be pretty much educational only and not showing off or whatever.

Now, if I go ahead and make these and post them, more than likely the Tribes servers will get flooded with people. The last time I made a video introducing a new, "unheard" of game to my youtube viewers, some 5,000+ people joined the game and made accounts. Not sure if it'll happen like that again or if it'll be a smaller/bigger amount this time, though.

After installing the 1.40 beta, I found this forum and it seems a lot of you are pretty hardcore players, veterans, etc. and so instead of just running off and doing this, I figured i'd ask you guys first.

So, which of these would you prefer:

1) Don't make the videos and keep things as they are

2) Make the videos, we want more players on the servers

I'll try my best with the videos to make them informative enough that players won't be joining Tribes and basically getting mowed down within seconds, but even with the tutorial videos they'll still probably need time to get decent at the game.

So yeah, just respond in PM's, to this topic, whichever. Sorry if this is the wrong place to post this also, wasn't sure whether to post it in here or General Discussion.

Last edited:
well shit

i am down to help you

have you used irc before?

we are mostly on irc.tribalwar.com port 6667 channel #hackington

Go for it.

But I would preview the video here before you make it public as there are important things you might miss.

well shit

i am down to help you

have you used irc before?

we are mostly on irc.tribalwar.com port 6667 channel #hackington

Yeah, I actually tried to get on the #tribalwar channel there earlier and it said I needed to register my nickname, but it doesn't allow yahoo emails to be registered. Haven't tried the #hackington one yet though.

My internet's currently pretty screwed, it takes an average of 2 minutes to load a single page, lol. I'm getting it fixed hopefully tomorrow, but once I do i'll just make a throwaway gmail account or something and join.

Go for it.

But I would preview the video here before you make it public as there are important things you might miss.

Yeah, what i'll probably do is make a list of everything I intend to cover in the video, starting off with basics and covering those, like inventory stations, generators, jetpack use, weapons, etc. all the aspects of base mod basically.

Then i'd go and cover a few more advanced things, like disc + mine shots, discjumping (rocket jumping), armor strategies, so on, and then repeat both of the above with Shifter, Renegades, Armageddon, etc. but i'll probably not go as in-depth with the mods as I will with the initial base mod videos.

Once I make the initial list of things to cover, i'll put it up here and anything i'm not too sure on or i'm not too informed about i'll ask, and you guys can contribute and say "hey this has changed/this is wrong" so on.

got disconnected, dunno how much you got of what i typed on IRC but basically I was saying this:

I agree that i should feature the LT type, but i'd still want to feature the base type and mods also, because I want to cast a net as wide as possible to get as many players as possible into this: the way tribes gets modded, it's almost like each mod is an entirely different game outside of textures/basic physics of the game, and even those get changed sometimes.

I'll be doing voiceovers plus text and editing the video to show examples: if you guys want an example of editing work i've done, search "azuritereaction i can't feel" and "azuriteblogs typography" (watch the latest one).

hahaha

this will fail harder than T:V

nobody left playing T1 wants new players, they want to circle jerk each other with the same 12 people telling themselves how awesome they are

Tribes is dead.

all perrosmovies are nice shot movies. watch some demos through demo cam so you can see the teamwork aspect and make movies of that

Someone who has never played tribes couldn't care less about the intricacies. If you want someone to come to an NBA game you show huge dunks and three pointers; you don't show white boards and team huddles.

Someone who has never played tribes couldn't care less about the intricacies. If you want someone to come to an NBA game you show huge dunks and three pointers; you don't show white boards and team huddles.

That works fine since you can appreciate their athleticism relative to your own in the real world. In a constructed 'universe' with jetpacks et al, that anchor kinda disappears. If you've never played the game, I'd hazard a guess that variety > 50 sequential shots of pretty much the same thing.

That works fine since you can appreciate their athleticism relative to your own in the real world. In a constructed 'universe' with jetpacks et al, that anchor kinda disappears. If you've never played the game, I'd hazard a guess that variety > 50 sequential shots of pretty much the same thing.

Listen, you want Michael Bay action not Sophia Coppola brooding atmosphere.

People want crazy MAs, lightning-fast caps, 200 yard passes, people getting CGed into bits, bodyblocks crazy shit.

Just give them that to a cool song (NOT Drowning Pool - Bodies) and you're a lock.

If they've played any FPS before, they will.

Lets be honest here; we don't want fucking idiots to come play, we want people who are good at other games to try tribes.

Listen, you want Michael Bay action not Sophia Coppola brooding atmosphere.

People want crazy MAs, lightning-fast caps, 200 yard passes, people getting CGed into bits, bodyblocks crazy shit.

Just give them that to a cool song (NOT Drowning Pool - Bodies) and you're a lock.
Yeah, I bet people who hve no idea wtf is going on in the game want to see a bunch of people hopping around instead of some real action. :lol:

Tribes is dead.

Yeah Amadeus I know it's not as riveting as Diablo 2, but anyone who has played a FPS and isn't a complete tool will appreciate it.

Back