Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page A Fair Critique of Shipping Container Homes
Page 1 of 3
Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
1 - 10-11-2021, 14:27
I found this video pretty interesting. She's an architect. Years ago I watched a pretty long series of a guy who built a home in CA with shipping containers and was pretty surprised by all the work required, not to mention the red tape with the state. She also brings up up up the top is not made to handle a load. I've seen videos of people making underground bunkers with containers, so that means they had to do all this extra **** to them just to put them in the ground that the container can't do natively. Everything is a lie with these container hipsters.

When I was young I thought the idea of shipping containers was a neat since they're modular. These days they look so metal and soulless I'd never enjoy looking at anything built with them. They fit in too much with the increasingly ugly architecture around us suspiciously well. America needs a revival of neoclassical, or something associated with nature. I'm encouraged cottage core is increasing in popularity among the youth.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7yEDz6bCfU

Sponsored Links
Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
2 - 10-11-2021, 14:29
shark-jump***8313;***8304;***8304;***8304;

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
3 - 10-11-2021, 14:33
This is what goes into a shipping container home from scratch. This series of videos goes over pretty much everything you can imagine start to finish:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QA5fh29rhLs

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
4 - 10-11-2021, 14:50
She's indian. The place where clapboard shacks with pieces of tin nailed to them and cardboard or burl;ap sacks are considered acceptable roofing.

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
5 - 10-11-2021, 14:54
So last year...

Grain silo houses are the way forward. We're currently running through planning applications to do something like this with 4 grain bins on wife's family farm...

grain silo houses - Google Search

Plasmatic
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
6 - 10-11-2021, 14:55

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
7 - 10-11-2021, 15:17
Don't you have any of these in Bum****, Nowhere Billybob? Thought it would be a nice thing to have in rural ass-backwards ****holes, unless nobody can afford them

HumDumpin
ReeeingRainbowXV
Old
8 - 10-11-2021, 15:43
Building a full sized house inside of a full sized barn is the future.

Banging ur sister is the present.

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
9 - 10-11-2021, 15:55
hummrerdudes wants a sister SOOOOO BAD

HumDumpin
ReeeingRainbowXV
Old
10 - 10-11-2021, 16:04
all the matrix incest incels want a trad sister-waifu right lem?

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
11 - 10-11-2021, 16:05
I don't know what that means bruh can you translate that into english.

amRam
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
12 - 10-11-2021, 16:46
Not watching video. Containers are completely pointless. You still need to frame and insulate and build a proper roof structure, so you are basically buying the sea can as a decorative facade.

groove
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 10-11-2021, 16:56
they suck in hot/cold too u should just build an earthship and go fully hippie prepper

samUwell
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
14 - 10-11-2021, 16:59
Quote:
Originally Posted by amRam View Post
Not watching video. Containers are completely pointless. You still need to frame and insulate and build a proper roof structure, so you are basically buying the sea can as a decorative facade.
^

I never understood the hype for the container being used. The amount of work required to get it livable is way more than framing a small box and putting siding on it. I also assume that most of the people promoting these as something someone can live in, never went into one in the summer.

If I had no other choice but to live in one, I would do everything I could to get some wood siding and attach it to the outside of the metal container to help lessen the insane heat that gets generated inside.

Nmag
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
15 - 10-11-2021, 21:31
Pretty hot in the sun. Crane hire isn't cheap. I've bought a few old 40' ones for work where we had an abundance of cranes. They were cheap to buy and good for the purpose. Archive rooms, storage etc. We still had to make peers for them to sit on, run power for lighting, and have steps to get up into them etc. Was ****ing hot as hell in there in summer. Seen plenty of them used in crane maintenance yards etc. Put two kind of next to each other with a large gap, cut out some of the sides. Run a roof between the two etc. Not for domestic applications - thermal properties are ****.

Reggs
VeteranXX
Old
16 - 10-11-2021, 23:16
Also, I looked into prefab/double wide type homes. How they sell are are valued ect. Awful, they only ever depreciate in price. And people complain about all the specialized stuff they need for upkeep they complain about it like owning a boat. I suspect it would be much the same for container homes.

lemon
Sour++
Contributor
Old
17 - 10-11-2021, 23:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by samUwell View Post
^

I never understood the hype for the container being used. The amount of work required to get it livable is way more than framing a small box and putting siding on it. I also assume that most of the people promoting these as something someone can live in, never went into one in the summer.

If I had no other choice but to live in one, I would do everything I could to get some wood siding and attach it to the outside of the metal container to help lessen the insane heat that gets generated inside.
u bury them and grow weed

Brasstax
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
18 - 10-11-2021, 23:26
Boxabl is pretty smart...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKy-EiQ-efU
BOXABL CASITA Dwelling Unit

They will be interesting to watch.

Nmag
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
19 - 10-11-2021, 23:40
You want box culverts buried in the yard. Brick up one end build stair well / ladder access at other end. Hide entry in the floor of some random ****ty little shed. Have a sump pump for ingress of ground water. Can hide all your illegals in there.

Jensen Precast - Box Culverts

SINep
VeteranXX
Old
20 - 10-12-2021, 00:23
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkG3gmPUPQg

The builder she specifies that knows building science for residential container homes.
Containing Luxury - YouTube

Page 1 of 3

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page A Fair Critique of Shipping Container Homes

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
shark-jump⁹⁰⁰⁰