Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page SL83's Extended and Ongoing Beer Thread
Page 15 of 45
SL83
VeteranXV
Old
281 - 01-29-2010, 15:28
I'm finishing up my Nut Brown Ale.

I think I will need to search for another favorite beer - as this isn't it anymore.

HOWEVER - I still am a HUGE FAN of Brooklyn Brown Ale by Brooklyn Breweries. I need to take a tour of that place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlZyoqI3cwI

Sponsored Links
Stigs
VeteranXX
Old
282 - 01-29-2010, 15:48
get into Porters, first English then work your way to American, Robust, and Imperial's

or stop being a nancy and start liking hops

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
283 - 01-29-2010, 15:51
I do like some porters. And I like a few stouts.

Sam Adam's Honey Porter is delicious. Brooklyn Brewery Black Chocolate Stout is yum.

Stigs
VeteranXX
Old
284 - 01-29-2010, 16:01
Where do you live? Might help in suggesting things that are commonly distributed in your area.

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
285 - 01-29-2010, 16:16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigs View Post
Where do you live? Might help in suggesting things that are commonly distributed in your area.
Long Island, New York.

Stigs
VeteranXX
Old
286 - 01-29-2010, 16:22
Southampton RIS and Baltic Porter
Smuttynose Porter
almost anything from Captain Lawrence brewery

you had Brookyln Black Ops yet?

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
287 - 01-29-2010, 16:23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stigs View Post
Southampton RIS and Baltic Porter
Smuttynose Porter
almost anything from Captain Lawrence brewery

you had Brookyln Black Ops yet?
Negative on all fronts.

I have had Smuttynose Old Brown Dog Ale and thought it was kinda BLEGH! But I'll try other smuttynose ****.

TW_Dagger
VeteranXV
Old
288 - 01-29-2010, 16:39
Is there a convient way to see what's generally distributed in your area?

fish_spum
Veteran++
Old
289 - 01-29-2010, 16:54
heading to the cincinnati beerfest this weekend. pretty good selection on tap.

Stigs
VeteranXX
Old
290 - 01-29-2010, 17:03
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW_Dagger View Post
not really, you can google for distributors or wholesaler's in your area, sometimes they have links to breweries they distribute

Baby Bew
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
291 - 01-30-2010, 19:22
Quote:
Originally Posted by TW_Dagger View Post
Go to a store that sells craft beer and note what they have.

Baby Bew
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
292 - 01-30-2010, 19:31
So I finally decided to try La Fin Du Monde again. I had tried it 2 years ago and didn't like it all, and girlfriend had same experience when she tried it a while back so I ordered it at lunchkfast today and we both agreed that it was amazingly delicious. I guess it deserves all the high ratings it gets. It reminds me of Delirium Tremens but with an additional subtle spicy background.

I guess tastes for beer really do evolve significantly because we both had thought it was extremely disgusting when we first tried it separately.

Stigs
VeteranXX
Old
293 - 01-31-2010, 22:04
great Tripel...sometimes I have issues with the carbonation levels in all of Unibroue's beer

had a 2 year old Trois Pistoles on Friday that was delicious

RabbitRabbi
Veteran++
Old
294 - 01-31-2010, 22:06
Remember when Barney and Homer took a tour of the duff brewery? Do think there's a way to make gummy beer?

Baby Bew
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
295 - 02-02-2010, 16:26
Finally tried a Trappist Rochefort 10:

Delicious and I like it a bit better than St. Bernardus Abt 12. The Bernardus seems to have bit more unpleasant bitterness, but that could just be the way the sediment pours.

Xeri0us
VeteranXV
Old
296 - 02-02-2010, 16:31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Bew View Post
Finally tried a Trappist Rochefort 10:

Delicious and I like it a bit better than St. Bernardus Abt 12. The Bernardus seems to have bit more unpleasant bitterness, but that could just be the way the sediment pours.
if you dont like the sediment then dont pour it in? i never pour the sediment on any belgian. unfilitered wheats... sure, but the sediment only makes a belgian taste like ****, so maybe that was your problem with the first la fin du monde.

Big Monkey
VeteranXV
Old
297 - 02-02-2010, 17:04
I tried the Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I'm obviously not a beer connoisseur because the "beer" taste was the most present for me and I really hard a hard time differentiating it from another beer.

At least there wasn't enough difference for me to say "hot damn that's some good beer".

The last beer I remember drinking where there was a significant taste difference was Fat Tire and I liked it.

Any recommendations for flavored beer where the flavor theme is really strong and doesn't taste much like actual beer? Like fruity or oatmeal or chocolate. I'll try anything if it sounds good, but if it's just beer with a hint of whatever flavor...I usually don't like it.

Baby Bew
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
298 - 02-02-2010, 17:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeri0us View Post
if you dont like the sediment then dont pour it in? i never pour the sediment on any belgian. unfilitered wheats... sure, but the sediment only makes a belgian taste like ****, so maybe that was your problem with the first la fin du monde.
Yeah I usually just pour a small part of the bottle, drink that, and then continue to add it bit by bit so the sediment goes mostly towards the later pours.

I think the Rochefort just has less of it. It seemed a lot clearer.

Baby Bew
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
299 - 02-02-2010, 17:11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Monkey View Post
I tried the Sam Smith's Oatmeal Stout. I'm obviously not a beer connoisseur because the "beer" taste was the most present for me and I really hard a hard time differentiating it from another beer.

At least there wasn't enough difference for me to say "hot damn that's some good beer".

The last beer I remember drinking where there was a significant taste difference was Fat Tire and I liked it.

Any recommendations for flavored beer where the flavor theme is really strong and doesn't taste much like actual beer? Like fruity or oatmeal or chocolate. I'll try anything if it sounds good, but if it's just beer with a hint of whatever flavor...I usually don't like it.
What do you mean by beer taste? Hop flavor? Bitterness?

Most fruit beers will taste like carbonated jolly ranchers so you might like that.

Gringo
VeteranXV
Old
300 - 02-02-2010, 17:29
the best way to "understand" the flavor, aroma, and taste of a beer is to simply trial and error it. find a beer everyone says, "wow, too hoppy for me," and taste that. trying to explain hops to someone who is familiar with budweiser and the like is like explaining mozart to a deaf person.

edit: go to a brewhouse and ask for a sampler, usually five or six 2-ounce samples per region / flavor.

Page 15 of 45

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page SL83's Extended and Ongoing Beer Thread

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
beer , sl83 , yarr matey i banged katie