Old
42 - 01-25-2022, 04:32
not

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
43 - 01-25-2022, 06:09
They may install cheap thermostats which are not wi-fi. You want this.
Honeywell Home RTH9585WF1004 Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, 7 Day Programmable, Touch Screen, Energy Star, Alexa Ready - - Amazon.com

They'll claim their thermostat keeps track of diagnostic info, but it's not required.
There's newer stuff like Nest and so on, but that one works. Can change your temp from your phone or Alexa.

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
44 - 01-25-2022, 06:10
FFS NGFM why

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
45 - 01-25-2022, 07:36
What do you mean why?
To save money and convenience of changing the temperature just by asking Alexa to do it.

In Florida the AC runs all the time, especially in the summer. Let's say I'm going out for a few hours or even a few days, no one will be in the house, no pets. I forget to turn up the air. Well, I can use the app on my phone and turn the temperature up a few degrees.

Or if I'm in the house and want the temperature changed, I can ask Alexa to do it just by saying, "Alexa, set the AC to 77." Then if I'm walking out the door, I can say, "Alexa, set the AC to 79."

Not only does running the AC less save money, but it saves the system over time. Anything with moving parts will eventually wear out and break. This is exactly what happened with Jugg's systems. One had a fan go bad and the capacitors (which wear out).

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
46 - 01-25-2022, 08:51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuf View Post
While expensive, that's an impressive turnaround on the time frame. But being in Florida, I imagine A/C systems can be a high priority. Even still, a 2 day turn around for that sort of job is impressive. Not many contractors I've interacted with either privately or through work in facilities management can get that sort of turn around and live up to it.

I live up northeast of Edmonton, Alberta, where it's all about the heating - it's code to have more than 1 heating source in case of a power or gas outage during the 5 or 6 months we're living in an arctic wasteland. 10 degrees below freezing is a warm day this time of year here, so I have to laugh when Floridians post pictures of the frost they get.
Well, down here you can't throw a stick without hitting an AC company and because its winter most of them are looking for work

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
47 - 01-25-2022, 08:53
So the ac guys showed up yesterday.

just 2 guys. Got here about 930am. I offered drinks many times, they didn't wan any. They chugged all day. No lunch, no breaks. They removed both old ac systems and the ductwork, put the new one in place outside, then put all the new stuff in up in the attic. I would guess they are probably like 95% done in the attic. Still have to cut a new return, mount the thermostat, blow in insulation. I was pretty impressed with the way they got **** knocked out

SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
48 - 01-25-2022, 08:56
14k for a day's work, mostly.

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
49 - 01-25-2022, 08:59
Yeah, other than the 10-12 k of parts, and those two guys aren't getting 2k for a couple days work. I'd guess they probably make like 25-30 an hr or so

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
50 - 01-25-2022, 09:06
The workers do this every day. It's amazing to watch them work.

They don't want drinks from you, they want a tip at the end. If you don't have cash run to the bank now and get some.

Ask the workers if the new thermostat has a "C-Wire." It's blue and that wire is needed if you want to install the thermostat I mentioned up above. If that wire is not there, ask them to run it from the air handler to your thermostat. That way you can buy any thermostat you want and install it.

Last edited by NoGodForMe; 01-25-2022 at 09:09..
SuperTrap
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
51 - 01-25-2022, 09:06
I wonder what the hvac business's average mark up on equipment runs..

Mitchdubai
Pooptruck++
Old
52 - 01-25-2022, 09:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGodForMe View Post
The workers do this every day. It's amazing to watch them work.

They don't want drinks from you, they want a tip at the end. If you don't have cash run to the bank now and get some.

Ask the workers if the new thermostat has a "C-Wire." It's blue and that wire is needed if you want to install the thermostat I mentioned up above. If that wire is not there, ask them to run it from the air handler to your thermostat. That way you can buy any thermostat you want and install it.
Or just give then some cheese fromunda.

Atreides
VeteranXV
Old
53 - 01-25-2022, 10:12
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTrap View Post
I wonder what the hvac business's average mark up on equipment runs..
it's a lot if you're these dudes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NPPRoqd7No

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
54 - 01-25-2022, 13:26
Quote:
today (adv.)
Old English todæge, to dæge "on (this) day," from to "at, on" (see to) + dæge, dative of dæg "day" (see day). Meaning "in modern times" is from c. 1300. As a noun from 1530s. Generally written as two words until 16c., after which it usually was written to-day until early 20c.
calm down, they're the same thing

DocHolliday
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
55 - 01-25-2022, 14:10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGodForMe View Post
They may install cheap thermostats which are not wi-fi. You want this.
Honeywell Home RTH9585WF1004 Wi-Fi Smart Color Thermostat, 7 Day Programmable, Touch Screen, Energy Star, Alexa Ready - - Amazon.com

They'll claim their thermostat keeps track of diagnostic info, but it's not required.
There's newer stuff like Nest and so on, but that one works. Can change your temp from your phone or Alexa.
I picked up a new thermostat and my heating/cooling guy refused to install it haha he said he hates those things and they cause more issues than they are worst and he does not wanna be responsible for it.

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
56 - 01-25-2022, 21:24
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I picked up a new thermostat and my heating/cooling guy refused to install it haha he said he hates those things and they cause more issues than they are worst and he does not wanna be responsible for it.
Yep, they don't want to be responsible if something goes wrong. At my parents they did install the Honeywell thermostat and it works perfectly. I kept the old thermostat just in case it didn't. For example, on the thermostat I recommended, many are having issues with 2 stage systems that have a large temperature swing. My system is not 2 stage so I don't have that problem.

It's really not hard to install a thermostat. It needs 4 or 5 wires depending on if it needs a "C-Wire" which is the blue one, which provides power to the thermostat. There's a bunch of videos on YT that explain how to do it.

Last edited by NoGodForMe; 01-25-2022 at 21:30..
JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
57 - 01-25-2022, 21:29
They got everything running today, still have to put in a couple runs of ductwork. They started it up, ran for about 15 minutes kicked most every breaker in the house. Im guessing it is an ancient breaker, looks pretty rough. Replacing that tomorrow. They should get this wrapped up by tomorrow. I have to hand it to these guys, it was like 45 and rainy all day, they just put down some big long cloth pieces to keep from messing up the floors and brought everything inside to do it. Thermostat is in, looks pretty cool, seem fairly easy to work. When the system was running it was very quiet and warmed the place up fairly fast

NoGodForMe
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
58 - 01-25-2022, 22:14
Awesome, because this Saturday it will be 32 degrees in Tampa. 36 on Sunday, 46 on Monday.

JuggerNaught
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
59 - 01-26-2022, 20:45
Well this is quickly turning into a ****show

So they have the ac unit installed. works fantastic, for about 20 minutes, then it kicks the main breaker on the house out. So there is an electrician coming out tomorrow. This was supposed to be a one, maybe 2 day thing, now we're into 4 days.

And as a bonus, i had noticed that there was water on the carpet in my son's room. I thought maybe he spilled something, but it stayed wet. The only water back there is an outside spigot, and the trees on the other side of the house have pushed a root over there so i figured maybe the root had pushed the pipe and cracked it or something and the leak was coming from under the slab.

Oh no, its not that simple.

In the laundry room that is next to my son's room, the idiot that did the work in there di some kind of half assed plumbing work and used this dual head for the connection to the washer. Well the other side he capped off and that cap started leaking. It is behind the washer and dryer and right up against the wall. The water wasn't running on the floor, it was running right down the drywall and the drywall was soaking it up. This was aparently going on for a couple months. The drywall is soaked, i can push my fingers through it, and mold is starting up. But because its behind the washer/dryer, i had no idea it was going on
So i guess thats the next project after this AC gets straight. I have been wanting to change a few things back there, and i guess since i'm going to have to replace at least half a wall, i might as well do everything in one shot. Redo the back wall, change location of electricity, run the pipes right for the washer and there is a closet back there and a room where the old ac air handler was located, thats all going to get wiped so i can push the master bedroom back about 2 feet or so.

Now while i have the tools to do all this, and a basic understanding plumbing, electrical and drywall, i can solder piping, but i've never done anything of this size before. Its a basic rectangular room, 2 windows 1 external door, one internal door. I do have a couple friends that are professional contractors if **** gets too hairy

luvs me some home ownership

Technetium
tuffy
Old
60 - 01-27-2022, 01:33
your house is now covered in mold. remove it all and fog house with vital oxide then use commercial ozone generator in the rooms.

Page 3 of 6

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page This day got expensive quick

Social Website Bullshit