[DOGS] What food do you give your dog?

Purina One Healthy Weight Formula mixed with Pedigree Chicken/Beef/Liver combo (a tiny bit mixed into about 2 cups of the dry food).
I also put a enteric coated fish oil capsule in each meal (2 times a day).
And a bit of water mixed in at the end.

used to use this, but they changed the formula so they could ship the food overseas.

do not want.

Well fair enough then - I don't have a pet anymore, it's just what we used ages ago. Sorry to hear about the quality going down the tubes, it was a great food. My cats and dog loved it :(

Innova
41526_f260.jpg

My fucking dog eats better than I do sometimes.

Ingredients
Turkey
Turkey is the clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of turkey or a combination of thereof - exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, and entrails.

Turkey is an excellent source of highly digestible protein. Natura uses high-quality turkey in many of our formulations.

The turkey Natura uses is tested to be free of hormones, antibiotics and pesticides, as well as chemical preservatives such as BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin. This is an important distinction because manufacturers are not required to list substances that are present in the ingredients when they go into the pet food.

Chicken
Chicken is the clean combination of flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts or whole carcasses of chicken - exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, and entrails.

Chicken is an excellent source of protein.

The chicken Natura uses is tested to be free of hormones, antibiotics and pesticides, as well as chemical preservatives such as BHA, BHT and ethoxyquin. Natura does not add these harmful ingredients, and they are not present in the ingredients we use. This is an important distinction, because manufacturers are not required to list substances that are present in the ingredients when they go into the pet food.

Chicken Meal
Chicken meal is the dry rendered (cooked down) product from a combination of clean flesh and skin with or without accompanying bone, derived from the parts of whole carcasses of chicken -- exclusive of feathers, heads, feet, or entrails.

Chicken meal is considered to be the single best source of protein in commercial pet foods. Natura uses high-quality, low ash chicken meal extensively. This ingredient is very digestible, very palatable, and very expensive.

Barley
Barley is a major food and animal feed crop, a member of the grass family Poaceae.

Ground barley is the entire barley kernel, ground or chopped.

Ground Barley is a good quality source of carbohydrates. Because Natura uses the entire barley kernel, it contributes additional protein, barley oil, bran, vitamins and minerals to the diet.

Brown Rice
Potatoes
Potatoes are whole, freshly cooked, Idaho russet potatoes, that include the skins.

Natura uses only whole, freshly steam cooked potatoes. They are not pre-processed, so they retain all of their important nutrients (including 'protector' antioxidants).

Potatoes provide B vitamins, carbohydrates, zinc, vitamin C, copper, iron, magnesium, niacin and potassium. Natura uses only fresh, whole fruits and vegetables, just like you would buy at the grocery store.

Natural Flavors
Natural flavors are minimally processed flavor ingredients that do not contain synthetic or artificial components.

In the Natura products that include "natural flavor" in the formula, the exact composition is proprietary. However, it is always made from the same animal species on which the formula is based. For example, the "natural flavor" used in the original EVO formula contains a reduction of chicken meat - much the same process as is employed to create a chicken stock in your home kitchen.

Rice
Rice, unless listed as brown rice, is the de-hulled rice kernel, without the bran -- known as white rice.

Rice, in its whole form, is a high quality source of carbohydrates, protein and fiber. This is in contrast to fractionated grain ingredients used by some manufacturers such as rice polishings, rice bran, or brewers rice which have been leeched of much of their nutrient value.

Natura uses whole rice, which is the most easily digested grain and the least likely to cause allergic reactions. It is an antidiarrheal and helps lower cholesterol. Natura also uses brown rice, which is the same plant with the bran intact.

Chicken Fat
Chicken fat is obtained from the tissues of chickens in the commercial process of rendering or extracting.

Chicken fat is the highest of all animal sources in linoleic acid (over 23%), an important element for skin and coat health. Because Natura uses such high-quality chicken, this is a high-quality source of fat.

Herring
Herring is the clean tissue of undecomposed whole herring or herring cuttings, either or both, with or without the extraction of part of the oils.

Herring is an excellent single-source protein. It is also an excellent source of Omega 3 essential fatty acids. Natura uses whole, high-quality herring, which are ground and added to the ingredient mix.

Apples
A member of the rose family, the apple has a compartmented core and is thus classified as a pome fruit.

Apples are an excellent source of dietary fiber. About 81% of the fiber is soluble; most of it is of a type called pectin. Apples provide both soluble and insoluble fiber, some vitamin C and beta carotene, and potassium and boron.

Natura uses this nutritious fruit in its whole form to obtain all of its wholesome nutrients.

Carrots
Carrots are the roots of the carrot plant, and a member of the parsley family.

Innova dog and cat foods contain whole steamed, carrots which are free of pesticides.

When ingredients are fresh and not pre-processed, they retain all their flavors and important nutrients (including 'protector' antioxidants). Natura uses only fresh, whole fruits and vegetables in our foods.

Cottage Cheese
Cottage cheese is the result of separating milk or cream into curds and whey. The curds are drained and pressed to form the soft, white, spoonable cheese.

Cottage cheese is an excellent source of calcium, phosphorus, protein and vitamins. Natura uses high-quality cottage cheese, straight from its retail container. The cottage cheese has only trace amounts of lactose and because of its limited inclusion in the formula, the ultimate amount of lactose in the finished product is insignificant and would not be in sufficient supply to cause an intolerance problem.

Sunflower Oil
Sunflower oil is obtained by extracting oil from sunflower seeds.

Sunflower oil has a high concentration of linoleic acid (73%), which is important for good skin and coat health. Natura uses sunflower oil that has been cold-pressed and protected from exposure to heat and light. This very high quality, very palatable fat is used in California Natural and Innova formulations.

Dicalcium Phosphate
Dicalcium Phosphate is a calcium salt of phosphoric acid.

Dicalcium phosphate provides both calcium and phosphorus, which are vital for building and maintaining strong bones and teeth. Calcium also regulates heartbeat and other muscle contractions and is necessary for proper blood clotting. Phosphorus plays an important part in the body's energy production.

Alfalfa Sprouts
Alfalfa sprouts are a member of the pea family.

Alfalfa sprouts are rich sources of antioxidants, anti-carcinogens, phytochemicals, enzymes, trace minerals and numerous other living nutrients which work against toxins, resist cell mutation and invigorate the body's immune system. One of the phytochemicals contained in alfalfa sprouts is 'saponins'. Saponins lower the "bad" cholesterol and fat but not the "good" HDL fats. Sprouts are good sources of vitamin C, folate, beta carotene and niacin.

Egg
Egg is the part or whole of the reproductive body produced by hens.

Eggs are an excellent source of protein, with naturally occurring complex combinations of amino acids. Natura uses only whole eggs in our products.

Garlic
Garlic is the whole clove of the garlic plant.

Garlic is valued for its anti-oxidant properties, as well as its enjoyable flavor.

Natura selects only fresh, whole fruits and vegetables for our pet foods. They are not pre-processed, so they retain flavors and important nutrients (including 'protector' antioxidants).

When comparing ingredients in pet foods, it pays to ask about the source of the ingredients. Are they fresh, dried, powdered, or otherwise processed? These characteristics affect both the flavor and nutritional value of the final product.

Potassium Chloride
A chemical compound, KCl, a colorless or white, cubic, crystalline compound that closely resembles common salt (sodium chloride). It is soluble in water, alcohol, and alkalies.

Potassium plays various roles in metabolism and body functions. It assists in the regulation of the acid-base balance and water balance in the blood and the body tissue. It assists in protein synthesis from amino acids and in carbohydrate metabolism.

Choline Chloride
Choline chloride is a member of the B-complex group of water-soluble vitamins (vitamin B-4).

It is used as an animal feed additive, especially for poultry and swine, to increase growth, reduce mortality rate, increase feed efficiency, increase egg production, and improve meat quality. It is not a substitute for any other feed supplement and has no direct substitutes itself.

Calcium Carbonate
Calcium carbonate is a mineral that is true to its name by containing a minimum of 38% calcium.

The calcium in bone provides structural integrity to the skeleton and also contributes to the maintenance of proper blood calcium levels through ongoing resorption and deposition. Circulating calcium has essential roles in nerve impulse transmission, muscle contraction, blood coagulation, the activation of certain enzyme systems, the maintenance of normal cell-membrane permeability and transport, and cardiac function.

Direct-Fed Microbials
Vitamins/Minerals
Vitamins are organic compounds that function as parts of enzyme systems essential for the transmission of energy and the regulation of metabolisms of the body. Minerals are inorganic substances essential for a host of vital processes within the body.

AAFCO regulates minimum standard quantities of vitamins and minerals in levels that pets need to survive. All pet food manufacturers supplement their products with vitamins and minerals. Beyond meeting these minimum requirements, all Natura products contain a complete vitamin and mineral supplement program that helps pets to thrive, not just survive. The minerals Natura uses are chelated, providing three to ten times greater assimilation than common minerals. Our Innova products also contain beneficial probiotic supplements, which are not required by the AAFCO minimums.

Included in our foods are some of the following: Ascorbic Acid, Beta Carotene, Biotin, Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Choline Chloride, Cobalt Carbonate, Cobalt Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Dicalcium Pantothenate, dl-Methionine, Folic Acid, Iron Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Niacin, Potassium Chloride, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Thiamine Mononitrate, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin C Supplement (Sodium Ascorbate), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement (Alpha Tocopherol), Zinc Proteinate

Natura adds these important vitamins and minerals, in proper balance to its foods to ensure that your pet gets all the necessary nutrients for life and good health every day.

Purina Dog Chow and table scraps. I may change to the holistic stuff because his dumps remind me of jurassic park.

Black lab a little past a year, snacks usually are the freeze dried chicken livers and I get him those goliath bones from publix

My dog is on a raw food diet. Fresh Start is the brand. Chicken and Veg, Beef and Veg or Tripe. We rotate what he eats everyday with Chicken and Veg being the staple. He also gets beef ribs to chew on. Good for the teeth and breath.

I dog on a raw food diet shits 1/3 as much as a dog on kibble. It costs us around $250 a month though. If you can't afford daycare then forget about raw food.

I feed mine Orijen and raw meat. Orijen is considered the best kibble dog food on the market right now, it's amazing. It's expensive, but worth it imho.

Orijen Pet Foods: About ORIJEN:

It is a grain-free product with absolutely zero preservatives of any kind... the meats are delivered fresh right to the processing plant and processed immediately. This is also a high protein dog food, 42% for the regular puppy. This is also awesome for dogs that are allergic to chicken, which is in 90% of dog foods as they have versions that are chicken free.

Eagle Pack is also good... Evo is excellent as well but not good for puppies. The cheapest high quality food I would recommend for a dog is Canidae All Life Stages. It's not grain free but the grain source is decent and not the first ingredient. Innova is good as well, but it's not grain free.

And for those of you that feed your dog cosco/walmart brands, don't fool yourself, there is a HUGE difference. Switch to a grain free product and you will see an amazing difference in your dog's behavior and coat in a few weeks.

I give my dog Pedigree Mealtime, small crunchy bites.

She is a 120 pound Lab/Curr mix, and for some reason she does not like the large bites. She also refuses, and I mean refuses, to eat Dog chow, or the knockoffs of it. Science Diet makes her sick. Every other food I buy for her makes her either sick to her stomach, or so gassy that it makes me sick to my stomach.

So its pedigree mealtime, small crunchy bites. And when she sees me bringing in the bag, she knows whats in it, and where I store it etc. :shrug:

Nutro.gif

Its the most trusted by Vets and rescue dog people...The food helps with digestion.. the dog shits less and less often.

We had a problem with my dog pooping once outside and then coming inside and having to shit 5-10 min later, after I started feeding her Nutro her poops were a lot more regular and instead of a huge pile of shit, I only have to clean up one good sized log. Also she has started eating a lot more then she used to, so I'm guessing that she likes the flavor.

My dog is a 7 month old yellow lab mix so I feed her a mix of puppy and adult food.

Last edited:
I cook up ground turkey when I see it on sale for a dollar a pound at the super market, 2 pounds lasts about a week and a half for my dog, 130lbs of yellow lab. He also gets some pumpkin and 4 prunes for his pooper, going on 15 years makes it a necessity. Combined with a pet-version of Celebrex and some Glucosamine hes been healthy and mobile.

Last edited:
Back