Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Tribes: Ascend thoughts from QuakeCon
Page 8 of 14
Eso
VeteranX
Old
141 - 08-06-2011, 19:40
This game has a lot of features i don't agree with, but i'm still going to give it an honest try before i make up my mind about it. The less i consider this a Tribes sequel, the more 'ok' i am with some of the goofy changes they've come up with.

Who knows, they could surprise us and make a good game.

Sponsored Links
evolvo
VeteranXV
Old
142 - 08-06-2011, 20:01
I just tried the game out at quakecon today.

A few comments:

Graphics and artwork looked GREAT

The skiing isnt as bad as stix makes it out to be, you can gain some decent momentum but I think with a few tweaks it can be better. Sometimes when trying to go up a hill without any momentum it feels a little slow. Whenever you fly straight up in the air it feels like you should be able to fly further forward to gain momentum like in t1- but instead it's almost like flying straight up and down. With more time behind it I think I would have some more constructive criticism.x

changing direction can be a little difficult. One thing I did like is that you don't get hung up on trees, rocks, etc very easily so it helped with this issue.

That said was able to get a few caps in with my first game.

Only used the disc launcher, but I like the speed of it.

Player auto regen is not a bad thing, I'd like to see how it affects cap routes in competition.

Hirez guys are friendly, and admitted that skiing was in alpha and its algorithms werent set in place.

I look forward to seeing how it develops.

jayvee
VeteranX
Old
143 - 08-06-2011, 20:29
Guh I have my hopes set too high...

Serle
VeteranXV
Old
144 - 08-06-2011, 21:08
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Fishstix! Comp questions for you.

How is the flag throwing mechanics?

Do you feel like the bad physics are honestly just bad, or is there room for improvement and you may have just not "got it" yet? Or do you feel like your movement was being limited by bad energy/jet/physics etc?

Do you see this game being 10 on 10? more or less?

Can you shoot the flag around?

Did you do any body blocking or Melee hits? Can you touch on this more? Do you see it being a new skill / trick / dynamic to duels chasing and o?

was there an oob grid?

Where would you currently rate it ?

T1 ___ T2___Legions____T:V____T: AA
Flag throwing seemed fine. I didn't do any straight up tosses, but to the side it had a decent arc.

Easily 10 on 10. 8 on 8 on the map we were on was not enough people. I could see 12 v 12 for comp.

The melee is definitely a new dynamic because it is strong, but not overpowered, and you have to be right up on them.

There is an OOB grid. Noticed it on "broadside" but not so much on the other one, and I went way out of my way to look for routes.

Darklord
VeteranX
Old
145 - 08-06-2011, 21:28
Health Regen is enjoyable in a pub setting, but isn't great for how things play in more organized games. This is coming from legions regen, so of course it could be different in T:A, but the general dynamic should be similar.

In pubs, good players are able to be even more dominant and when you win a fight you can still be very effective. In tribes duels, unless the other player is utterly incompetent, they will generally at least do 30% of your hp in damage as you fight. After a couple fights, even mediocre players can finish you.

In pubs it is fun that you can keep going as you regen, but in real games it makes LO kind of a nightmare; the defense will kill someone, then heal to full. Over and over. Fighting them has little effect beyond the short distraction, since they aren't forced to go back to an inventory to heal, leaving your cappers less holes to exploit. For LO, slamming their head against fully healed defenders is really frustrating.

The problem is exacerbated by spawning in your loadout in legions, so hopefully it won't be an issue, but it is something to keep an eye on.

Fuzzy
VeteranX
Old
146 - 08-06-2011, 21:45
you'd have to be completely retarded to think that somehow health regen wouldn't be exploited by any player with a brain. could you imagine a good LO with health regen? a HO? HD? LD chasing/disc jumping?

Serle
VeteranXV
Old
147 - 08-06-2011, 21:48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
you'd have to be completely retarded to think that somehow health regen wouldn't be exploited by any player with a brain. could you imagine a good LO with health regen? a HO? HD? LD chasing/disc jumping?
The trade off is you're outta the fight/outta sight for around 20 seconds.

Fuzzy
VeteranX
Old
148 - 08-06-2011, 21:50
a page ago someone said it was 12 seconds

either way it doesn't matter and should be removed from the game

Rooster128
VeteranXV
Old
149 - 08-06-2011, 21:53
Honestly I don't think regen is going to be fast enough to make a crucial difference, and yeah it'd probably take you out of the fight for 20 seconds- and much longer if you're almost dead. And I imagine in competitive play where time is of the essence, people wont want to stand still or hide for that long. And of course you know in Tribes, you should never stand still. People who rely on regen will have their asses handed to them anyway by the seasoned player.

The only thing I am a bit worried about is those cappers who can attain high speeds and keep them, whipping around the map without being touched. With regen it'd be a total nightmare.

But I digree. We'll have a FnF locking missile launcher so it shouldn't matter anyway :P

Serle
VeteranXV
Old
150 - 08-06-2011, 22:13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
a page ago someone said it was 12 seconds

either way it doesn't matter and should be removed from the game
12 seconds to start the regen, its not instant, to get back to full takes about 6 or 8 seconds.

JoMo
VeteranXV
Immigrant
Old
151 - 08-06-2011, 22:14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serle View Post
12 seconds to start the regen, its not instant, to get back to full takes about 6 or 8 seconds.
It's 12 sec of not taking damage right? Meaning you can be a capper skiing around gaining health as long as nobody hits you.

Serle
VeteranXV
Old
152 - 08-06-2011, 22:18
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMo View Post
It's 12 sec of not taking damage right? Meaning you can be a capper skiing around gaining health as long as nobody hits you.
Wrong. If you have the flag, you cannot gain the regen without dropping the flag. Then you have to wait the 12 seconds to start the regen.

KiLLeR2001
VeteranXV
Old
153 - 08-06-2011, 22:40
I'm so tired of these games being made. Why do companies insist on trying to salvage this franchise? If they can't replicate T1 physics and fix the little quirks it came with, then all hope is lost. I don't care what blue beams or laser guided doohickys they add to the game, **** is fail.

Darklord
VeteranX
Old
154 - 08-06-2011, 23:05
Post like this are why we can't have nice things. The conception that just because a game isn't an absolutely perfect copy of Tribes 1 means it will never be worth playing is just so mind boggling. T:A has all sorts of warning signs and reasons to be worried about how it will turn out, but for ****s sake, you really would prefer COD 12 over a game that has jetpacks and skiing, even if they aren't implemented the EXACT way you remember them from 10 years ago? If things are 90% correct instead of 100%, nuke it from orbit?

Are you a member of The Tea Party: Game Edition or something?

Rooster128
VeteranXV
Old
155 - 08-06-2011, 23:08
Honestly I'm surprised at the amount of positive feedback from TWers on T:A. That can only be a sign they're doing SOMETHING right.

MaD_ReBeL
VeteranXV
Old
156 - 08-06-2011, 23:08
the conception huh?

Jookbox
VeteranXV
Old
157 - 08-06-2011, 23:31
I'm looking forward to it, but there's definitely huge potential for suckage.

Father Ruckus
VeteranXX
Old
158 - 08-07-2011, 00:38
Will there be demos

spockhammer
VeteranXX
Contributor
Old
159 - 08-07-2011, 00:40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooster128 View Post
Honestly I'm surprised at the amount of positive feedback from TWers on T:A. That can only be a sign they're doing SOMETHING right.
or that the community isn't composed of by the same amount of t1 players it was before

Alvarez
VeteranXX
Old
160 - 08-07-2011, 01:03
I hate the regen idea... real men ctrl K... no spawn timer respawn and get the **** back as fast as they can hehehe

Page 8 of 14

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page Tribes: Ascend thoughts from QuakeCon

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
better graphics without t1