Ronnie James Dio

Uriah Heep. I had their albums when I was a teenager back in the 70s. I still listen to them today. Some of their lyrics are cheesy and stupid (today is only yesterday’s tomorrow) some of the vocals are cringeworthy, but they also have some amazing tunes. Hugely popular in europe still to this day. Lady in Black is almost a German national anthem.

Blue Oyster Cult is another band that has a lot of great songs beyond don’t fear the reaper and Godzilla. They are hugely influenced by writers like Michael Moorcock. Veterans of the Psychic Wars, Astronomy, so many songs to choose from. I can listen to the album agents of fortune from beginning to end and appreciate every track, even the weirder ones. Their style of music is definitely an aquired taste.

And yes, the soundtrack to the movie heavy metal is one of the best rock movie soundtracks ever made, alongside dazed and confused.

i think moody blues wins my all time gayest lyrics award

I know you won't believe me
But I'm certain that I did see
A mouse playing daffodil
All the band was really jumping
With Jack Rabbit in there thumping
I found that I couldn't sit still
I just had to make it with them
Cause they played my kind of rhythm
And the bees hummed in harmony
And the owl played his oboe
Then the frog's guitar solo
It was all just too much for me

i think moody blues wins my all time gayest lyrics award

But nights in white satin is an incredible piece of music, especially the extended version.

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
Watch lights fade from every room
Bedsitter people look back and lament
Another day's useless energy spent
Impassioned lovers wrestle as one
Lonely man cries for love and has none
New mother picks up and suckles her son
Senior citizens wish they were young
Cold hearted orb that rules the night
Removes the colours from our sight
Red is grey and yellow white
But we decide which is right
And which is an illusion?

One of my high school favourites :)
It came from an awesome comedy/documentary that I believe they used as the basis for Spinal Tap

Back