[Computer Stability] Need something that will keep contstant load on my CPU - BUT by Shadow(of)Death - TribalWar Forums
Click Here to find great hosting deals from Branzone.com

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Computer Stability] Need something that will keep contstant load on my CPU - BUT
Page 1 of 2
Shadow(of)Death
VeteranX
Old
1 - 08-22-2010, 15:12
only like 10% and not 100% that folding offers.

Here is my problem. I have a fairly unstable computer, but don't have money to upgrade it right now. It would appear that when my computer is under load, it is stable and that crashes generally only occur when it is doing nothing or in a transition between something.

I would use folding, but since I have passive cooling on my Q6600, it will get pretty hot if under a constant load for sustained/long periods of time. So while I do a lot of video rendering, it isn't a 24/7 thing.

So, any software out there that will allow me to keep my cores under a sustained load at a percent I determine?

Sponsored Links
Limbo
VeteranXV
Contributor
Old
2 - 08-22-2010, 15:14
run tribes

Shadow(of)Death
VeteranX
Old
3 - 08-22-2010, 15:18
Oh, and to describe the crashes. Some are blue screens, others the screen just freezes indefinitely - no restart, no blue screen, just sits there like it's thinking.

Win7
Fresh Install on fresh hard drive, after the whole fiasco with transferring the guts from my old tower to the new one.

anomaly
VeteranXV
Old
4 - 08-22-2010, 15:26
maybe your computer sucks and you should get a new one

Hungfoo
VeteranXX
Old
5 - 08-22-2010, 15:29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNv5vAZtyUc

Breyer
VeteranX
Old
6 - 08-22-2010, 15:32
It sounds like your computer is getting unstable when the CPU switches into a low power mode.

You can try changing the settings in your power profile in Win7, in the advanced power settings for "processor power management" you can change the min processor state to 100% so it doesn't try to reduce power.

If that doesn't work, in your BIOS in Advanced CPU options there should be a "C1E" support setting. When enabled this allows your processor's multiplier to be reduced when it's not being used enough in order to save power. You can try disabling that too. (this has a better chance of being a workaround for you IMO)

If the 2nd works you might look into updating your BIOS.

SL83
VeteranXV
Old
7 - 08-22-2010, 15:41
Shadow of Death

More like shadow of Commit Suicide Broski! lol am i rite?

Shadow(of)Death
VeteranX
Old
8 - 08-22-2010, 15:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyer View Post
If that doesn't work, in your BIOS in Advanced CPU options there should be a "C1E" support setting. When enabled this allows your processor's multiplier to be reduced when it's not being used enough in order to save power. You can try disabling that too. (this has a better chance of being a workaround for you IMO)
This sounds like it might do the trick.

Thanks

Breyer
VeteranX
Old
9 - 08-22-2010, 16:07
FYI If that does work for you and it's not something a BIOS update addresses, it could point to an issue with your power supply having problems dealing with changes in the power draw to your motherboard.

That problem, though, you'd have to troubleshoot with a multimeter and a load then unload test to see if the voltage is jumping out of spec for some reason. If that's the actual issue though, it's worth knowing because a problematic PSU will likely cause further problems down the road.

Last edited by Breyer; 08-22-2010 at 16:10..
Breyer
VeteranX
Old
10 - 08-22-2010, 16:15
Also WTF are you doing with passive cooling on a Q6600? I missed that at first lol

How long have you been running it like that? How exactly is it set up?

Shadow(of)Death
VeteranX
Old
11 - 08-22-2010, 16:46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breyer View Post
Also WTF are you doing with passive cooling on a Q6600? I missed that at first lol

How long have you been running it like that? How exactly is it set up?
As for the PSU thing, it isn't a PSU. The problem existed to some degree in my last tower, and was helped after I changed some things in the bios. I just couldn't figure out what those things were. I'm fairly confident the C1E disabling should do the trick. My current PSU is a Seasonsonic X650 - the best consumer PSU on the market.

I had a nice CPU cooler, but the 120mm fan was a crappy one and was too loud; so I removed it and just left the cooling fins. My temps are actually very decent, and hold up under load fairly well(high 30's low 40's at idle, mid 70's after 10 minutes of prime95), good enough for the video editing I do. So I decided to just leave it passive until I get around to upgrading to an i5/i7.

It is actually pretty neat, the loudest sound from my computer is now the hard drives, since my CM Scout tower has nice fans, the PSU has not used its fan yet (that I can hear), and I don't do too much gaming, so my GPU fan hovers at lower RPMs. Even that will be moved to a passive system once I get enough money to upgrade the rest of my computer.

Breyer
VeteranX
Old
12 - 08-22-2010, 16:50
Ah ok... yeah my CPU would probably be fine without its fan too because of other fans in the case and the fact that the heatsink is ****ing huge.

mjoe
VeteranXX
Old
13 - 08-22-2010, 16:51
Often times, overconfidence. Overconfidence, often times.

LouCypher
VeteranX
Old
14 - 08-22-2010, 17:32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow(of)Death View Post
I had a nice CPU cooler, but the 120mm fan was a crappy one and was too loud; so I removed it and just left the cooling fins.

[LAPD]Cheetah
VeteranX
Old
15 - 08-22-2010, 17:36
Running a Megahalems with two Noctura NF-P12-1300 fans in Push/Pull on a 980x. Best heatsink/fan experience ever.. from installation to use.

liar2
VeteranX
Old
16 - 08-22-2010, 17:37
just get an h50 or h70 and call it a day. then when you get your i5/i7, you can still use it.

Shadow(of)Death
VeteranX
Old
17 - 08-22-2010, 17:51
I already have my next CPU cooler picked out:

Newegg.com - Thermaltake Frio Overclocking-Ready Intel Core i7 ***40;six-core ready***41; ***38; i5 Compatible Five 8mm Heatpipes Dual 120mm Fans Intel ***38; AMD Universal CPU Cooler CLP0564

But really no need until I get the i5/i7.

Shadow(of)Death
VeteranX
Old
18 - 08-22-2010, 17:51
Also, all fans will be swapped for these:

GELID Silent12 TC 750-1500RPM Thermal Sensor Speed Control Fan GELID Silent12 TC 750-1500RPM Thermal Control Fan [GELID Silent12 TC] - $8.99 : DazMode, Canadian PC Water Cooling and Modding Store

My case should be next to silent after that.

def
VeteranXX
Old
19 - 08-22-2010, 18:07
my radiator fan on my car was too loud so i just removed it

now i'm having engine problems when going slow, please help

Breyer
VeteranX
Old
20 - 08-22-2010, 18:49
The temps he posted aren't that bad for a Q6600.

Computers aren't cars, that's a NGFM analogy.

Page 1 of 2

Go Back   TribalWar Forums > TribalWar Community > General Discussion
Reload this Page [Computer Stability] Need something that will keep contstant load on my CPU - BUT

Social Website Bullshit

Tags
cpu noooooo! , have a nice life , vermont logging truck