Thoughts on 4.3?

WoW is a good game to use to wind down at the end of the day, raiding was the only part of the game that I felt I needed something else to do after to wind down. Playing a FPS shooter after a raid was great, except raids end too late and by the end bed was always the best option.

I'm honestly more interested in GW2 over ToR, and I'm being overly critical on them both. All the talk I hear about ToR is basically...

1. Each class has its own independent storyline.
2. Massive amounts of voice-acting.
3. Actions will affect your future as you level.
4. IT'S STAR WAR!!!21111!!!

I could see how all of that can extend the initial release longetivity, but eventually you get to a point where one can make alts of every class and conversation variants before it too gets old. That is ToRs "burst" interest but I hear less about "sustained" interest. And yeah I heard about PvP, etc. but you know which other pony tried that trick? WoW. They toted PvP as a huge thing during beta, and look what happened? How long did it take them to actually implement Alterac Valley and any sort of PvP reward system? Sure ToR says it'll have it on launch but most know companies have and will cut back on features to get it to shelves quickly on the pretense they will patch it in later.

All the hype about this game and all fan furor just smells like another one of the WoW-killers we all have known.

GW2 may fair better, but while ToR is kind of taking WoWs model and adding to it GW2 seems to intend to create their own new models and systems, mainly dynamic questing and dynamic large-scale world events. While the newness of the weapon skill can get old, the on-the-fly scaling of the events and freedom actually ENCOURAGES players to work together rather compete for kills/items. But that's why I would try GW2 over ToR, because they are trying NEW THINGS. Yeah it could fail sure, but I'll give them a shot and credit for striking out off the beaten path into new territory. The MMO genre needs mroe innovators, and ToR I don't think even tries that. They are using IPs to hype it up and GW2 shows you new things. If they succeed they'll rack in the players and if they fail the idea will be out there to pave the way for someone else to try and remake it.

From the Gamescon demos of both though they look polished as hell and rife with potential. Judgment will come on release.

SW:ToR being Star Wars gives it a lot more staying power than any other "wow-killer" startup. I think it will be a crap game, but people won't care. Kind of like how WoW is a crap game.

SW:ToR looks a little sleeker than WoW I thought, in player models and UI, but not any better in environmental art or graphics. SW:ToR is going to be more popular than Rift, Aion, or Warhammer just because it's Star Wars.

To be fair though Star Wars died for me at the start of the "First Failogy" when they explained the Force with science (midi-chlorians). I mean honestly one of the beauties of the Force was that it was mysterious and spiritual, an almost mystic and magical quality amidst a sci-fi future of intergalactic spaceships and laser guns. And then he just said, "Nope there are just tiny sub-atomic animals living in all matter!"

After that the only series which held my attention was Force Unleashed simply because not only did it allow you to break and wreck shit on a massive scale it actually REWARDED you for being creative in indulging your destructive antics.

If you were a true SW fan you would wipe the prequels from your memory and pretend they never happened.

The creator himself made it, it's a betrayal to your own creation. You can't simply wipe that from memory. If it was some overly-popular fanfic thing Lucas decided was good and used then yeah I could see that. But the fat moron CHOSE to add in that little fuck-up to the Force.

It's basically like retconning, you lose all credibility when you butcher your own creation simply to make things easier for shit like marketing/merchandising.

I never understood how such a large and competitive Tribes community ended up being mostly PvE carebears.

I can't recall zeph ever being part of a top team that had a competitive community in any way, shape, or form, but oh well! He's just a wow troll anymore, he'll never leave.

That being said, I don't raid anymore, I just fuck around, something to hold me over until BF3 hits, which I'm pretty stoked about after playing the alpha.

except
lookstraightahead.jpg

I never gave DOTA a chance because I lost my WC3 keys. It was WC3 TFT for DOTA right? I would have liked to try it back then. I'm mostly passing time until I get the next gaming cycle. I think with the influx of upcoming games that I mentioned above, I will kick the WoW habit. And yea Happy, you would have liked it I think.

Believe me 2good, I learned A LOT of things from watching pro-demos and stuff. I didn't just skip through all that jazz. Every little thing they do counts. I get all of the reasons why they do everything. I would D/L demos and seriously watch it as opposed to watching streams/MLG broadcasts. I picked up a lot of things. I understand all of the principles behind it. What I can't do is IMPLEMENT it, or put it to good use because I'm not fast enough.

Fast enough to know what I want to do, too slow to actually do it. I know I don't need 150 APM in an fps. :)

Yeah i know a lot of people who struggle with all the things that need to be done in sc2, which is why mechanics are probably the most important aspect about sc2. Good to hear that you understand that watching the pros is also key to understanding why and how things are supposed to look in an sc2 match. I enjoyed the intensity of sc2, but came to a realisation that no matter how good you are, it's a pretty big waste of time.

Yeah i know a lot of people who struggle with all the things that need to be done in sc2, which is why mechanics are probably the most important aspect about sc2. Good to hear that you understand that watching the pros is also key to understanding why and how things are supposed to look in an sc2 match. I enjoyed the intensity of sc2, but came to a realisation that no matter how good you are, it's a pretty big waste of time.

That's basically every single game homie. BUT, if you're getting enjoyment out of it along the way, then by all means, jump in with both feet. It's when you are no longer enjoying it and feeling overly-committed or obligated that it loses it's purpose.

I'm trying to figure out why I've been doing similar things albeit slightly different since the end of November, 2004.. *shudder*.. I think it's about time to let the old girl rest. When I think of BF3, Diablo 3, Deus Ex tomorrow, GW2, SW:TOR, Skyrim, it's going to be a busy fall, and unfortunately the main reason why I play WoW still (friends) are slowing peeling off the subscribe list..

I'm trying to figure out why I've been doing similar things albeit slightly different since the end of November, 2004.. *shudder*.. I think it's about time to let the old girl rest. When I think of BF3, Diablo 3, Deus Ex tomorrow, GW2, SW:TOR, Skyrim, it's going to be a busy fall, and unfortunately the main reason why I play WoW still (friends) are slowing peeling off the subscribe list..

Same here, but I'm also some abhorrent recluse without any sort of social skills at all. So there's a direct correlation between how long I can stay in a guild versus how well I can keep my fucking mouth shut. And that doesn't count "actual" activity, I'm in the "fodder" category for when the "core" 10 want the RBG challenges done or so the GMs cunt-hole can finally have her Ulduar mace.

Same here, but I'm also some abhorrent recluse without any sort of social skills at all. So there's a direct correlation between how long I can stay in a guild versus how well I can keep my fucking mouth shut. And that doesn't count "actual" activity, I'm in the "fodder" category for when the "core" 10 want the RBG challenges done or so the GMs cunt-hole can finally have her Ulduar mace.

You are growing. We are seeing some real progress here.

Anyways, do you guys think Blizzard will release the next expansion when SWTOR comes out? Because there is no way they can put off 4.3 until then. I'm thinking 4.3 will drop close to BlizzCon or after and I hope Deathwang is a good raid. 4.2 has been so fucking boring/joke/sad/etc.

Back