Tribes : Ascend

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry ... dont have 1500 bucks to buy a super computer that can play something like this at a descent frame rate. I spent 750 bucks on a rig for tribes 2 and the frame rate was less than 30 fps. tribes died in 2005 ... vab

Anyone know if they're going to support user made maps, content, etc... on this version? I heard with the MMO they were not going to.

revisionist history.
you hit that shit now at your age, you'd think nothing of it.
its not that tribes was awesome, its just that your life back then was a lot more fun
just saying.

No, I was old, and it was awesome. I will grant you though that one aspect of it was that it was unprecedented in team gaming features for the time, of which many can be taken for granted now.

There are so, so, so many ways for this to go wrong. But becuase there is a non-zero chance that this could go right, I will root for them, and wish them the best.

No tribes game can ever capture the moment that was Tribes 1. No matter how many times they try, it just can't be duplicated. All the personalities, all the people, it was a perfect storm really.

Who knows though, the game itself could be fun. Since everyone has moved on to other things, it really wouldn't do much to change anything.

t1 came during the early era of PC gaming where almost everything was considered "innovative." hence why a strong community was developed and lasted for years on end (this on top of the super competitive-team-based nature of the game)

now, everything is a re-hash of re-hashes, PC gaming has become what arcade gaming used to be. mindless linear gaming (hi CoD) with a focus on the individual (hi strong kill:death ratio).

bottom line: the current younger gen (hs/college) will not be as intrigued by T1 as we were back in 99

(doesnt mean i wont try T:A out, but i have low expectations)

I'll buy it, not sure I'll play it much. Tribes the franchise holds a special place in my heart. I'll shall support Tribes and pray for a bright future.

:)

I think the solution should be to not display how many deaths you have. I feel like TF2 handles teamplay pretty well. There are a few of the achievements that make people go solo and do dumb stuff, but for the most part nobody cares about deaths. They are focused on whatever the objective is.

if the game is good some of the old players will come out of the wood work. I mean if you actually "retire" from gaming then you are whipped or so successful that you don't have time, and knowing the people that are on this board the latter is a long shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back